1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to test HV battery state of health on your Gen 2 (answer)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by S Keith, Mar 14, 2016.

1. jjdemu

jjdemu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a test today, was only 70 degrees. Will redo later this week with it warmer. Fan blower was kicking on and off is the current fluctuation you see on the chart. Had a little hiccup with the discharging this morning and wondering how this chart looks so far.

Attached Files:

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    For whatever reason, I am unable to open your file. I can still open your last one. When previewed from the file open dialogue, the VIN is scrambled.

Please open your file, display the data with the discharge capture, export to CSV, zip and post.

Steve

3. jjdemu

jjdemu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about that, here is the csv. Had to washed the car to see how much hail damage we got :(

aftergridcharge.jpg

Attached Files:

#43 jjdemu, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Holy Crap.

First, your current was only a touch low. You averaged 14.1A for the duration.

Second... Holy Crap again...

You extracted 2477mAh out of your pack.

Granted, you started a little over 82.5 and went to 40 SoC = 2762mAh based on 6500mAh rating.

Your SoH is 2477/2762 = 92.7%

The 9.5% rule would put you at 10.5 * 9.5 = 99.75%, but since your current was 1/15 = 6.7% low, that puts you at 93.3% SoC.

Regardless, this is amazing. A 30 day re-test is in order.

View attachment 109681

The constant slope of the SoC means the voltage response to current is linear indicating little to no voltage depression. Your DeltaV trend was under 0.15 with only an occasional tickle upwards to 0.2V.

F*cking wow!

At some point, I may request you pop the case to verify the date codes on those modules. This is almost unbelievable.

Please summarize what you did to recondition and give us some insight as to your driving habits, conditions and climate.

Thanks,

Steve

EDIT: Your version of Techstream is a little newer than mine. That's probably why I couldn't read your file.

5. jjdemu

jjdemu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Side note had my son help me out...this come into play later.

I followed your tips except for discharge I did the
    2 x 200W bulbs to 200V
    2 x 72W to 140V
    2 x 25W to about 130V
    Second discharge I did the
    2 x 200W to 183V
    (ask son to check it throughout the night and change to the 25w bulbs when it hit the 185 mark. I wake up in the morning, about 4 hours later to check what voltage was at and bulbs was not lit and voltage was 12V. He put the 72W bulbs in instead of the 25W. I was little peeved to say the least)
    Finished up the rest the test as you outlined.

I was thinking about popping off the cover to see the date codes of the battery just to make sure. Figure I will do that another day.

Climate in St Louis area is all over the place last few months but otherwise is pretty mild. Driving condition is 60-70% highway and the rest is city.

Update: first initial estimate for hail damage is $1500-2000. Have an another appointment at another shop with insurance claims adjuster meeting us there on Monday for a better estimate. Figures since the body was so nice :(

#45 jjdemu, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  6. ExMachina08

ExMachina08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow that is a pretty massive improvement for such a high mileage battery! I'm planning on performing the health test this afternoon on my 2007 with 125k. I've been keeping an eye on those grid chargers and trying to decide if they are worth the price to keep my HV battery in good condition for longer. This might just push me into the buyers circle depending on how my battery fairs this afternoon.

leisureman and jjdemu like this.
  7. jjdemu

jjdemu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was surprise at the improvement I got right off the bat. I can actually keep the car in electric mode more while driving. Figure we will see how many mpg we hit with next fill up.

ExMachina08 likes this.
  8. ExMachina08

ExMachina08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I did the test this afternoon, but I don't currently have a techstream adapter or the software. I do have a bluetooth OBDII reader and Torque Pro if that can be used similarly. Started with unplugging the white connector and waiting the 60 seconds to get everything back to baseline. Put in drive and charged up until it would blink back and forth to and from the battery with full green bars. Turned on headlights, defrosters, AC down to low with fan on max. Battery held out to 5:34 and the last 3 bars dropped very quickly like going from blue to ICE running in a matter of 30 seconds. If the 9.5% rule of thumb checks out that puts me at about 52.82% capacity on my 2007 Prius with 125k miles. Definitely have been seeing degrading mileage recently, been in the mid to upper 40s when I typically average low 50s. I will give the test one more shot this evening when temps and my motors

Update: Tested again this evening and same results about 4:54 seconds. This time I loaded up the extended PIDs for Torque and the drawn amps was 16.4 amps on average with a delta V of .1 throughout the drain. I will see if I can get a graph/chart plotted on Torque with the same graph fields shown in previous posts.

#48 ExMachina08, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  9. neopirate

neopirate Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Steve, could you take a look at my discharge test file. It's a bit of a mess as it includes the forced charge, the discharge, and the idle charge. I can clean it up first if you would like. I hope I am calculating the capacity wrong, because the way I calculated it, my battery is only at about 31%.

The ir on all the modules is 0.026 - 0.027. The outside temperature was 72 degrees.

This is my pre-grid charge test before charging with 3 APC-35-350 wired in series. I plan to follow your charging/discharging instructions and will post my results afterward.

Thanks Dan

Edit: spelling and phrasing

#49 neopirate, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  10. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Sorry, I just saw this today.

Torque pro is a great tool for this exercise. If you retained a tight delta V to the bottom, I would say you're a very good candidate for the HA grid charger/discharger.

Will do Dan.

11. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    You're battery is hurting. I highlighted the region from 50-70% SoC, and you're almost completely within the steep portion of the SoC curve. I would expect to see rapid SoC guage movement and decreased mileage.

DeltaV is creeping up to 0.3V. I suspect you have caught this in time. Looking forward to seeing your "after" results.

Excel file attached.

View attachment 109984

12. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Please repeat the test in 30 days.

jjdemu likes this.
  13. neopirate

neopirate Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Steve
    I was a afraid it would be that bad. I will do the charge/discharge and post the results when I can.

14. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Yes, it's bad, but catastrophe hasn't struck yet, which gives one hope.

15. arrosen1

arrosen1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi

I ran your test, and the ICE kicked in at just over 6 minutes (6:05), so I thank that translates to 57.79%. I have a 2008 with 125K miles, so I guess that isn't too bad. I am in So Cal, and I ran the test in 73 degree weather.

About 6 weeks ago, my mileage dropped from about 45 MPG to about 30 MPG. The only thing that changed at that time were:
    1. Oil Change
    2. New Air Filter
    3. New tires (Yoko Avid Touring S)

Note that at the end of April I drove from Los Angeles to Phoenix to Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon and home. Averaged between 30-32 MPG.

On the up way to Flagstaff, the ICE felt like is was going to die. Almost like I was running out of gas. The same thing happened during this test while force charging the battery. From about 77% to 82% (which is about when I stopped), the ICE sounded like it was going to die. Started sputtering a little, and sounded like it had lost all power, very similar to what I experienced in AZ. I wonder if this has something to do with my issue.

Anyway, I have attached my output from Torque. I'm not sure if I captured all of the appropriate measures, but I know I got some.

Can you take a look and let me know what you think?

Allen

Attached Files:

16. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Unfortunately, you didn't capture HV Battery Current. With that, actual capacity can be calculated. You're probably pretty close. I've seen some inconsistencies in the 70-75°F ambient range. Sometimes it will peak at ~12A instead of ~15A, so the multiplier may be optimistic.

Run again on a warmer day and capture the current value.

#56 S Keith, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  17. milleniaman

milleniaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    kieth
    is it advisable to run a test on a battery already giving a bad battery code. ( I can't remember the code but it's the major one). I read that this could damage other components. I would like to know if any modules are usable.

18. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    The conditions that cause a battery to fail generally prevent this test from being run as force charging to full can't be done, the ICE will typically refuse to shut off long enough to run a test because it senses a block voltage sagging.

This test could only damage other components if it's deliberately done several times in a row in an extreme environment with no regards for Mg1, 2, inverter or hybrid battery temps.

Steve

milleniaman likes this.
  19. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    As demonstrated on a recently acquired '07, a very marginal battery may also prevent the test from running smoothly. Said '07 tested at 38%, but behavior was fairly erratic (ICE on/off at random times). I was able to get one clean test after an extended sitting period, and it's at 39%. SoC meter is a bit erratic. I have caught this thing at the ragged edge of failure. I'm very curious to see if this thing can be recovered.

Here's the output:
    View attachment 110661
    What concerns me is DeltaV exceeds 0.2V well before the "leg down" in the SoC curve. Best case is severe imbalance. Worst case is a cell that is just barely hanging on.

A plot of all block voltages follows:

View attachment 110664

I actually find this encouraging. The blocks are spread over the whole range. This suggests imbalance.

A single failed cell would be more of an outlier.

Steve

20. jjdemu

jjdemu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For Steve. I went ahead and took off the cover of the battery to show the cells for you, also the serial number on the metal case. Will do a re-test next week when the month ends.

Attached Files: