1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to turn off trunk open warning

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RachelBrock, Aug 30, 2021.

1. RachelBrock

RachelBrock New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

My luck apparently isn't as good as Toyota engineers. On the exact trip that my car (2016 Prius 3 Touring) went over 100,000 miles, ending my warranty, my trunk open warning came on and just started peeping. The trunk is securely closed, but just keeps beeping. I've opened and closed it repeatedly. I checked and cleaned every crevice. It is absolutely closed and secure. The dealer said it would be $90 just to diagnose it. I've had difficulty finding an after market actuator assembly to just replace the whole thing. I don't know if this is rare, since there aren't any YouTube videos on how to fix it. The beeping is a major distraction. I've tried to tune it out, but last 300 mile roundtrip was unsuccessful and causing anxiety. Is there any way to pull a fuse or something until I can get it fixed?
    Thanks for the recommendations,
    Rachel

amos likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would call it rare. call toyota corporate and ask for a goodwill warranty

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are there rubber stoppers when the where the hatch closes, that are height-adjustable? Maybe try adjusting them, reduce the amount they push up?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you tried the easiest thing, spray some kind of lubricant (white lithium grease) on the latch mechanism? Maybe it's binding and preventing the actuator from sensing its fully closed.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Rachel, How willing/able are you to DIY? I have a 2014 Prius. An open trunk on mine does not actuate any aural warning. The only warning is the red "door open" symbol on the dash display. This warning only goes out when the trunk is slammed shut. Gently putting into a latched position does not extinguish the light. Does your car have this same light? Is it on while the beeping occurs? Getting access to the lower latch mechanism is fairly easy - you just unbolt what needs to be unbolted, and snap out what parts of the trim are attached by snaps. If you can do this you might then be able to manually force the latch receiver into a closed position - with a large screwdriver - and try to see what contacts are made or un-made.. Any wires leading to/from this latch could also be investigated - detached or shorted - to see what effect that has.

Or you could try pulling each fuse individually until the beeping stops ;-)

Those smarter than me might know if there is a setting accessible by Techstream for options: trunk beeper off or on...

Or exactly where the beeper "speaker" is located. If you find that you can detach one wire and disable it..

If it was my car I would pull fuses one by one ...

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I probably wouldn't pull a fuse - they tend to be multi-purpose, and you could find other things stop working.

Sorry - I have no idea, but I suspect it's rare - I've read just about every Gen 4 post since I got mine 5¼ yrs ago - and don't recall this before.

As suggested - you could try TOYOTA.

7. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have the '16 Three Touring and just tried an experiment. I put a towel in the trunk latch so that it would not latch. Then I put the car in READY. I got the trunk open warning on the dash as expected, but no beeping. Then I put the car in D and moved it a little since I was still in my garage. There was no beeping at any point. The open trunk warning stays on the dash, and if you clear it with the button, it will return after a short time, but still no beeping. I'm wondering if you're mis-diagnosing the cause as the trunk unlatched?

Attached Files:

krmcg likes this.
  8. Jama707

Jama707 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I’m having same issue. Did you figure out?

9. Jama707

Jama707 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Mine was the weather strips were loose and on the way of the lid latches.

Doug McC likes this.