1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to un-reset the Consumption calculator?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RhythmDoctor, Jul 9, 2008.

1. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had a weird thing happen today. Like many others here, I reset the mileage calculator on the multifunction display each time I fill up with gas, and I record the numbers in a spreadsheet for comparison with the mileage calculated from gas purchases. Today I was stopped at a red light and noticed that there was some dust on the MFD. So I took a dust-free rag and wiped it off. Unfortunately when I wiped over the lower right corner of the display I accidentally reset the mileage calculator - the mileage counter went to zero. I was very frustrated by this, and switched to the energy panel (showing battery SOC), then back to the consumption screen - still zero. Since I was at a red light, I was able to take out my PDA and quickly record the average MPG and mileage so I could average the results next time I fill up. This had happened once before, so I will have to get better at changing the display to another screen before wiping it off in the future.

Here's the weird part: I was less than 1/10 of a mile from my destination, so I drove there and parked for a couple hours. When I returned to my car and started up again, the MPG and mileage counter were restored to the values they had before I had hit reset. Apparently something I did caused the MPG calculator and mileage counter to un-reset.

Has anyone else ever seen this? Is there a specific sequence of events (open the door twice while simultaneously depressing the brake, operating the windshield washer, and pressing the panic button on the keyfob :confused: ) that can undo the reset and restore the mileage calculator to its previous value? It seems I may have stumbled onto an "Easter egg" to do this, but don't know what it is.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I haven't seen that. Perhaps it only takes permanently if you do it just after filling up. That's when I reset it and it has never "reverted".

3. Tammy7287

Tammy7287 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmm...I'm hoping that happens today to me when I leave work. My boss and I went to lunch today and he thought he was being "funny" by hitting the reset button. Kinda irrked me but what can you do?

4. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Have him drive his car next time and reset all his radio stations.:D

5. eestlane

eestlane Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A good one! I love it.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Been there; done that. Learned the lesson. Before wiping the screen:

1. Push the [Display] button in the upper-right corner.
    2. touch the [Display OFF] button on the screen.

As for the un-reset. I don't have a clue. I've never seen that before.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually, I find it much easier to just clean the screen when the car is off. No buttons to push, no key sequences to remember, no problems.