1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To: Upgrade Head Unit (Kenwood eXcelon DNX6960)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by usbseawolf2000, Feb 22, 2010.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would avoid those audio shops and find one that regularly works with newer vehicles. There is nothing special about hybrids with regards to car audio. Hell a Cadillac is harder to integrate car audio than a Prius is!

I've been running high end car audio in my Prius since I bought it and have never had an issue.

1 person likes this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know why. Prius stock radio/CD unit face plate is wider than the standard 2 DIN unit. The height is exactly the same. With Scoche kit, it fills in the sides.

A rattle started and it turned out to be one of Scoche face fill-in. I put some electrical tape to tighten and quiet it.

I have no electrical issue whatsoever. The headunit operates on 12v bus of lead acid battery. Those shops don't know what they are talking about.

1 person likes this.
  3. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Many thanks to both of you. I really need an upgrade.

There aren't too many shops around and I don't trust much Best Buy service. So I might just install it myself with your advices above.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I added the pictures of the OEM and Kenwood head units along with the stock bracket in the first post. This should give you a good idea. Note that the unit in the picture is DNX6140.

5. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So what the difference between the 6960, the 6140 and the 6160 I can get here in Canada? Just the remote?
    By the way there is a deal today for a JVC KW-NT3HD ($699 instead of $1099). Any idea how it compares to the Kenwood DNX6960 or if it's worth it?

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    6140 was the 2009 model. It has low resolution screen and outdated (really old) Garmin software.

6160 is a lot better in almost every way, maybe except the boot up time. 6960 boots up slower than 6140.

6960 has better audio (Excelon series) with 5V output and has longer warranty. 6960 has 3 skins you can switch and comes with a remote. I am not sure if 6160 comes with Bluetooth but 6960 does.

JVC unit boots faster but it has lower resolution screen. Navigation software is not Garmin.

If you prefer TomTom nav, Sony has a new unit with it.

If Navigation is important to you, it is worth it. 6960 was going for $700 before. I still love the head unit.

A buddy of mine that owns Benz S550 rode with me and he also liked the head unit. He is going get one installed in his wife's Porsche.

1 person likes this.
  7. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for your answer. I couldn't find a 6960 for a decent price in Canada, even the best I could have for the 6160 was $999... so I snatch the last JVC KW-NT3HD available online for $699+tx at Future Shop. The reviews were quite good, so I hope it'll work well: do you think I would need all the same accessories than you?
    - BestKits BHA1761
    - Scosche TA2103B
    - PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Remote Interface

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, you will need the same three items for your install.

1 person likes this.
  9. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I really must trust you, I've already ordered all of them and eBay is your best friend there. Technically, are the mike and the additionnal wheel control necessary or just nice to have?

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The mic can be installed anywhere. I prefer to have it in stock location and the stock look (no extra hanging or sticking out). The right steering wheel module is for a few extra buttons to program/customize. The Info button to switch between Energy and Consumption is a really nice welcome. It is not necessary.

11. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've received the radio and the SWI-JACK (older version 1.6.16, but it looks compatible), just waiting for the harnesses now.
    I was wondering about the stock location for the mic, and I stumbled upon your video I believe: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-aAvhz_24c]YouTube - DNX6960 Mic install[/ame]
    Nice job!
    I couldn't figure though where to get the right steering wheel module. Is there a site or a part number I can use to find it online?

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How is the install going? Made any progress?

14. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just received the Scosche harness today, so I might start the install this weekend. I'm investigating some more for the steering wheel module (feasibility to ship to Canada) and potentially a backup camera; it might delay me for a week or two.

In the meantime I'm preparing the harnesses. Here's how I do it; align and twist the cable ends, solder them, and finally tape them:
    [​IMG]

And here's the final result:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To do a professional install, you can get the wire connectors from radio shack.

If I were to do another install, I would use them.

16. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    usbseawolf,

Thanks.

17. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heat shrink tubing would probably hold up better than the electrical tape over the long run. Use the stuff with the adhesive inside for a weather tight seal.

18. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Usbseawolf2000,
    WOW really nice write up. Well done laddie! The Youtube videos really add another level of understanding to the mod/install! I should try this and do a video for the DRL/Turn signal mod I came up with!
    Thanks for posting this!
    This thead was a really a great read!!!

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ixtroisy, great job. Now that you have the harness done, everything else is just plug and play.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I took the plunge and ordered all those items (including BASS600 sub under passenger seat) and everything came out just how I envisioned. I love it.

BTW, I got to try the Garmin Nav for iPhone. That's a piece of junk compare to the automotive grade version in DNX6960.

DNX6980 is coming out in a few months. It seems very similar with Pandora support added. Maybe it will boot faster. The install should be exactly like mine.

20. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks a lot for your time. I need to finish some woodwork in my garage before I can start dismantling the dash in the car (it's pretty cold outside). I was looking for instructions to remove the factory radio, but chrisdragon.com is not online anymore. I know how to remove the right grey vent cover next to the radio. Is there any other place where I can fing the steps, or roughly what are the main steps to follow? Did you unplug the 12V battery (in the trunk?)?
    Optionally, when adding additional controls on the wheel, how much of the wheel and around it should be dismantled?