1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To: Upgrade Head Unit (Kenwood eXcelon DNX6960)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by usbseawolf2000, Feb 22, 2010.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ixtroisy,

I used AV-181 to AV-183 pages of the repair manual to remove the stock head unit. Those steps referenced IP-5, IP6, IP-18 and NS-172 pages.

Yes, I disconnected the battery to be safe and also to prevent it from draining while I was working on the car.

It is especially important when swapping the right module of the steering wheel control. I used pages AV-213, RS-267 and RS-268. I did a shortcut and only lift up the airbag (the same piece you press for horn) to get to the right control module.

It is not hard with the steps. You should be able to get the docs you'll need from here.

1 person likes this.
  2. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Most remarkable! Great docs. I wish I had those when I dismantled my central console and right vent. Well, my week-end is going to be busy :) garage clean up, heat up, car wash... and setup. I'll try to post a result picture when I'm done.

3. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2 last details I cannot figure from your PDF.
    - Do you connect the SWI_JACK red wire to the Best Kit red (+12V)?
    - Where is a good spot for the GPS antenna? on top of the MFD inside the dash?
    thanks in advance

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    SWI JACK red wire needs to connect to the red wire coming out from your head unit's harness. I originally had it connected to Best Kit's red wire but it wasn't getting power so I connected to the red wire from the Kenwood harness.

GPS would be best to mount it on top of the MFD. There is room between MFD and the plastic dash because it is the location for the JBL center speaker.

1 person likes this.
  5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Today only. 6ave.com has the Kenwood DNX6960 Multimedia DVD Receiver w/ Navigation $649 - 4% off with coupon code AFL4COUPON = $623 with free shipping.

Thanks to Bens Bargains.

6. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, that's done, at least in a basic form. I've got the radio working (the sound is quite better already) and GPS too, not the wheel control, though it looked like it was correctly programmed: probably that 12V cable, though I'm not sure what you call the head harness; I haven't received the buttons yet either.

Here are a couple of picture during (looks pretty scary) and after. It all went pretty well thanks to the docs. I haven't any screws left, which is rather a good sign.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The first time I tried to close the dash board I noticed there was a rather large space above the JVC and not enough below, but when the double DIN module is shifted to the upmost position and tightly screw, everything seems to fall into place with almost no gaps. Nice. The mic cable runs along the passenger A pilar, and I then fished it under the dash board, probably quicker than to dismantle the whole thing.

As a side note I've been fishing a triple RCA to the central console, in order to output video to headrest monitors. I've installed a pair last summer for a cross USA/Canada trip, but I removed them because my priority was to improve the sound. I might reinstall them now, if I figure how to play a video while driving. So on top of that I'd like to use a bluetooth phone and maybe figure how to use a PMP to play and input audio/video in the system. Also I haven't connected any of the reverse (for backup camera?...) , parking brake (for video playback limitations?), or speed signals... maybe later.

Attached Files:

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great job! The last pic looks very clean. Would love to see both screens powered on!

For SWI-JACK, the black (ground) cable has to go to your head unit's black cable. Otherwise, you can't program it. It won't successfully remember the first button you programmed. Sorry, I should have remember to mention it before.

I will update the document when I get a chance.

8. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Then I'll have to reconnect both red and black. It would be cleaner I guess. I'll try it later this week when I'll have a hour to spare.
    By the way, do you have some feedback sound now when you change the climat setting on the MFD for instance? I lost that and the audio function of course, unless there is a way to use that unused button.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup, that beep is gone. I don't know if that sound is made by MFD or the stock radio.

10. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a bonus for you: 3 screens! I was using my Archos to play an audiobook via the front AUX this morning. Don't bother with the awful mileage, it was quite chilly this morning.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Awesome! I put my iPhone 4 in the tray also. Please change the color of the button/knot illumination ;)

12. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I promise I will, especially since it's currently always changing colors: the whole rainbow in 30s or less. Psychedelic :eek:

13. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

So I reopened my dash board this week end, added some navigation buttons, and reconnected all ground wires together + the parking brake (benefit: I can play videos for the kids now).
    It looks like I can program the buttons but it still cannot control my radio; I hope the PAC support will be able to help.
    In the same time I was trying to see how to plug the speed (for more precise navigation?) and reverse (needed for later backup camera?) cable but I couldn't figure any simple solution. Most existing examples don't apply to me (gen 2, no NAV). Have you plugged them and where?
    In the Wiring Diagram and the AV-118 (is the speed signal in that brown wire connected to the 560 ohm, or do I totally misunderstand something?) for instance they are refering to the Combination Meter, but I think it requires to remove the whole dash... not practical.
    One of the most practical idea was there: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-defeat-install-in-car-without-nav-phone.html ; however, I don't feel too confident with that.
    Mixed result, hope it's not too confusing. Could you help me there?

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The general instruction that came with it is not that clear. Are you using the Prius specific instruction? I find it a lot more clear.

Make sure the rotary dial on SWI-JACK is set properly to Kenwood (#3).

Did you try programming only one button to see if it works? That's what I did and then I did all the buttons. Once you press the button to learn, did you get the feed back on the SWI-JACK LED?

I don't remember hooking up the speed wire. What color is it? Maybe I can check it in the pictures I took.

15. seatown7

seatown7 Northwest Prius Dork

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Funny...I just looked at this unit on Amazon and it says it won't fit in my 2008 Prius.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Crutchfield says the same too. They need to update their database.

1 person likes this.
  17. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, it does work, and it's not too complicated to install, once you have the right steps.

18. ixtroisy

ixtroisy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, I made myself one, it's much better this way.
    In my case it's a JVC and it's set to #2. Should be OK.
    Good idea, but I don't have much hope there, since I already programmed it partially before I got the NAV wheel controls. PAC support suggested that it might be due to a new tight jack input connector, but I just tested it and I think it's properly plugged (even tried an stereo extension). By the way I do have a proper feedback for each programmed button, as far as I can tell. I'm going to give it a try, just in case.
    In my case it's pink, though I suspect that in the car, the cable should be violet (or brown?). Funny thing is that the backup light look like pink. Not too sure though.

Well, after some tests, it still doesn't work. Going to follow up with JVC and PAC...

19. bu08usc11

bu08usc11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Per seawolf I am posting my install here.

This is a Kenwood DNX-9960 with the same install kit seawolf used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Beautiful! How fast is the boot up for 9960?