1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to upgrade my 2012 Prius head unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Suzanne Betts, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Suzanne Betts

Suzanne Betts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 Prius 3. I just got a new Samsung phone and when I connect it via Bluetooth it will work over the car speakers until I stop the car (gas, coffee stop, etc), and when I resume my trip I have to pair again. This didn't happen with my older phones - and the older phones still show in the phones connected list (even though I have removed them several times). This makes me think that the Entune (I'm assuming this car uses Entune, it's what I've been reading online but not entirely sure) operating system needs upgrading. I follow links to the download files I have found online to put them on a USB dongle but none of these links work anymore, plus I want to be sure I am doing the right thing for my car. Where can I go to find the updated files to update my head unit and which version of the update is appropriate? I think it must be the car system that needs upgrading so it stops forgetting my phone every time I stop the car because the phone is a brand new Samsung recent model (22+) and the phone doesn't forget other Bluetooth connections that have been established like earbuds. Thanks for your help on this! It is so annoying to have to pair repeatedly for every car drive!

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Change your phone’s Bluetooth timeout to never

3. Suzanne Betts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for this tip. I have looked on the internet for directions on how to do this on my Samsung phone and I can't find anything that tells me how to do it! Is it an easy step process that you might describe how this is done? Thanks again.

4. rickster26ter

rickster26ter New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have literally the same exact issue with v5.2. I have scoured the internet for a usb downgread file, but have not been able to get it. I would highly recommend what I am going to do, which is buy a new headunit that supports android audio. I have my eye on something on ebay for $110 which is worlds better than the old headunit we have. Just need to figure out if the 2012 prius 3 has type A or type B audio

5. Suzanne Betts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Sounds like a great fix. I would need help installing, so that would drive up that basic cost of $110. I called a local shop and could get a new unit installed for between $250 and $300....and was very tempted. But instead I went back to the dealer and paid the $80 they wanted to install an update patch on the head unit. That seemed like highway robbery to stick a thumb drive into my dash and voila, but if it worked then it would be a lot cheaper, and no need to tear the dash out. And Toyota wouldn't guarantee that it would fix my problem once I did the update patch. Well, good news, it worked! Now my phone automatically logs on every time. So for the investment, that was the way to go and I was happy......Good luck!

ASRDogman likes this.
  6. techguru

techguru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have your Toyota receipt so I now exactly what to ask for? I am having terrible problems with Bluetooth on my 2012 with a Samsung Fold 3. I was looking at replacing the head unit, but if I could just get music to play from the phone without suddenly starting to skip every song for no reason, I would be fine with the existing head unit. I am confident I could do the replacement, but they are all these Chinese devices with outdated Android versions and instructions in broken English that make me think I may have other reliability issues.