1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to use "B" gear?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ibmoses, Jun 4, 2014.

1. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    If you called it L, people would use it to climb steep hills and complain that it didn't work.

Nora likes this.
  2. Kebler

Kebler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I use brake mode when the traction battery is full, the engine seems to rev very high so I tend not to use it when the traction battery is full. Is it ok to use the brake mode when the engine revs high like this?

#22 Kebler, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  3. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Pretty much. Here's how I understand its operation in normal "D-mode." At speeds below 42mph (again speaking from a Gen 2 perspective, Gen 3 is similar) under low power demand conditions (such as a long down hill run) with SOC near nominal the ICE will be completely off with rpm=0. No rpms means no air pumping through the engine, means no engine braking. Above 42 mph the ICE will spin to balance out the rpms in the PSD. However, under similar low power demand / nominal SOC conditions, the fuel injectors are turned off so there is no fuel being consumed and the valve timing is adjusted so that pumping losses are nearly zero. Net effect is once again essentially no engine braking. This allows for maximal regenerative braking efficiency under normal conditions, and/or maximal high speed ev drive efficiency in whats commonly referred to as "warp stealth" mode.

On a long steep downhill you have two options. Do nothing and stay in D-mode, or manually switch to B-mode. In the first case you use the brake pedal to control speed, with the hydraulic brakes being used for additional slowing power once regen is at its max output power (~20kW). Once the battery has been charged to max (~80% SOC) the controller will suspend regenerative braking and automatically invoke a condition very like B-mode to use engine braking to supplement the hydraulic brakes. In the second case the manually selected B-mode will immediately begin using engine braking to help slow the vehicle (or control speed) and will use a moderate amount of regenerative braking as well as long as the battery SOC is below full. In this mode you can use the gas pedal to reduce this combined braking, or the brake pedal to add additional hydraulic braking. Either way you should end up at the bottom of a sufficiently long steep downhill with a full battery, invoking B-mode manually just makes it easier to control downhill speed with less use of hydraulic braking overall, saving wear and/or reducing brake pad heating / fade.

Rob

mg555, wr69 and ftl like this.
  4. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    That's how it's intended to work. Surplus energy that would otherwise have to be dissipated with friction brakes is dissipated by spinning the engine with the fuel supply cut off. Valve timing could be adjusted to increase the drag but I'm not sure if it does this or not.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "In this case, the valve-timing in the Prius engine is advanced to increase the amount of air taken in and the suction against the throttle flap -- which uses much more energy than the coasting-in-"D" scenario above. Either way, stopping power now comes from a combination of things and the burden on the friction brakes is greatly reduced, allowing the hill to be descended safely." - hobbit
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/b-mode.html

[​IMG]
    Top of the second column, I think.

energyandair and ftl like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use B mode on steep multithousand vertical foot highway descents so the brakes don't overheat. A frequent one I travel is about 7%, for about 6 miles, 2000 vertical feet, a hill that killed numerous runaway truckers until the state improved the escape options and figured out how to better alert the unwary drivers at the top.

A regular Prius fills up the battery quite early on that hill, so without the extra compression of B mode, the brakes will get quite hot. The plug-in models (PiP, Leaf, etc.) should be able to use regen all the way down.
    Descending Pikes Peak, an F250 with Florida plates came down that way not far behind me. At the mandatory brake check point (and voluntary gift shop), it was ordered into the mandatory 30 minute cooling off area. It smelled absolutely horrid, with that typical burning brakes smell.

7. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't think that the Prius changes valve timing in B mode in quite the same way as a Jake Brake does on a diesel; I think it's relying mostly on friction and pumping losses.
    With a Jake Brake, a diesel engine goes through the regular compression stroke, and right when the air is compressed, it opens the exhaust valve. This lets the pressurized air out suddenly, and keeps it from helping to push the piston back out - instead, the energy put into compression is lost. The sudden exhausting of pressurized air is what makes Jake Brakes so loud.

In the Prius, to the best of my knowledge, the valves are operating in some fairly normal-ish fashion, as far as I know. (i.e. possibly adjusted for best braking, but still something that might be used while driving normally.) Instead, the computer tells MG2 to act as a generator, and produce electricity to slow the vehicle. Some of this electricity is sent to the battery, and saved for later. The rest of it is used by MG1 to spin the ICE up to near the (software-enforced) redline. Running the engine at that speed maximizes the friction and pumping losses, but doesn't quite pack the same punch (or noise) that changing to a Jake Brake's valve timing would.

Fred_H likes this.
  8. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That might be true for the regular Prius. With the PiP I need the full 7000 ft decent (Donner Summit to Sacramento Valley) that also includes some short uphills, to get a full charge for the battery.

9. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    In any case it isn't a Jacobs Brake (a separate device added to throttle-less engines). It is just the average ordinary braking that all gasoline/throttled engines have. Nothing extraordinary as the Toyota salesguy tried to claim. NOTE:

I admit I have a bit negative opinion of Toyota salesguys. The first guy I met refused to let me testdrive the Prius on the highway. The second guy LIED and said he had a base Prius but when I looked at the car, it was obviously the higher level (with vinyl seats). The third guy claimed he had a manual shift Prius, but it was actually a used Civic. ("What? It's still a hybrid and that's what you said you were looking for." No. I said prius. Way to waate my time donkey.)

Terrible terrible service. Anyway: That's what I get angry of some salesguy claiming Prius has a Jacobs Brake. He's just an example of theidiocy I had to deal with on my shopping experience.

10. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I dont understand why there is not some sort of warning light to make sure the driver realizes the car is in B when the driver applies the accelerator. Seems like it would be very easy for someone to drive for a very long distance in B while on the interstate.
    In other words driving down the road with the ICE struggling against the B because the driver does not realize B is still engaged....

Even though it was technically inaccurate, the "Jake Brake" analogy was spot on. This guy helped me get a killer deal on a leftover 2013(after I shopped around online to every dealer in the region):)

Thanks for the replies

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Unless you are deaccelerating, there is no downside to B, it is only a braking strategy. One hint, you cannot engage cruise control in B.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no struggle when the ICE is providing propulsion, because there is no difference. It isn't the same as a downshift on a traditional car.

As Jimbo said, except for cruise control being locked out, the differences are only when decelerating. The speed threshold for shutting off the ICE for glides is sharply reduced, engine compression braking is increased, and battery charge rate is increased. But don't mistake the later as getting more energy into the battery, because more total energy is thrown away outside the battery.

13. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I got it now.

Thanks for all the help.

I thought the ICE was pulling against the B when under acceleration in B mode.

More questions to come soon:)

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But that descent takes more than 70 miles, an average slope of only 1.9%. Most of that descent energy is being burned off as air drag and rolling friction, not being sent into the battery.

On a 7% grade, I'm betting the battery gets filled up much quicker, with much less elevation change. On such hills, can you get much over 2500 vertical feet before the battery fills? Can you get enough pure regen braking to control speed without going into B mode?

15. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since its not one grade there really is no answer to your questions. Some of the 7% grades are a couple of miles, that does a nice job of charging, then there is some flat or even some uphill. It pretty much takes the whole 35 miles with various ups an downs to fully charge the battery from a low (23%SOC) start. I've never used B in the PiP, I did a few times in my previous regular Prius. I'll try some B on my next trip with a few hills but that probably won't prove much. I don't expect to go over Donner Summit in the near future.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not being a local, I've traveled that route very few times, not enough to memorize much. Neglecting very short portions, is any of it 7%? Plotting an elevation profile on toporoute.com, I don't spot anything steeper than 4.5%.

17. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe there are some 7%, maybe 6%, but I'm not sure. Sometimes I can't remember why I walked down the hall to the kitchen :)

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Over the years I've read numerous posts questioning what "B" is...and how it should be used.

Just trust me when I say that salesmen have given even worse answers than that.

19. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I used the B mode on two long, steep downgrades today. I didn't have to brake. It was like turning the overdrive off on a regular car. Battery regeneration was more aggressive too. I noticed both the EV and ECO lights were out.

#39 MikeDee, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  20. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OP here:)

Hopefully using "B" is not detrimental to the drivetrain or batteries because I use it a lot. Like on offramps to exit the interstate....
    Also I have a fairly steep descent of approximately two miles each way during my commute. Usually the "B" is used to control vehicle speed.