1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to use K-seal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Robby2010IV, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Robby2010IV

Robby2010IV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have a 2010 Prius IV with 196k miles, I am experiencing engine shudder when the engine is cold - this eases as the engine warms up. I am also losing/refilling the coolant reservoir every other week.

I just bought some K-seal and I read somewhere that I should add this into a hose and not the reservoir.

I'm looking for feedback from those that used K-seal or any other gasket sealer and if they had any issues with pouring the sealant directly into the reservoir.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Is that the blue bottle orange riding or orange bottle blue and orange riding on it anyway block sealers not a big fan Don't recommend personally but do what you think you have to do if you have a head gasket leak starting you're going to need to look at dealing with that engine problem these can be some weekends to the 2Z and you may want to look into that it's nothing personal it's just that's what you may be up against putting glue and sealers and fillers in your engine block is generally not the way to go Good luck my friend

bettergolf likes this.
  3. PriusG909

PriusG909 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Use k seal it will 100 burn your water pump in a few weeks

4. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The safest way to use K-Seal is to pour it directly into a trashcan.
    Do not dump it down the toilet since it is toxic to aquatic life, and keep it far away from the engine block since it will definitely clog up the heater core. Whatever the cost of a proper head gasket repair, the cost of undoing the damage caused by a stop-leak solution will always be more.

Foxglove likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To answer your question while still not advocating a sealer, the Prius "reservoir" is part of the coolant circulation and has a pressure cap. So a sealant could be used there. If it were me, I would remove the cap and drive it slowly until the car was warmed up, maybe 5 minutes in hot weather and then add the sealant slowly ensuring it gets mixed well with the circulating coolant.

But the risks of heater core, radiator, coolant passage and thermostat clogs have to be high if the sealer can clog a high temperature high pressure cylinder head gasket leak.

With that said, people do it and sometimes get immediate relief, usually after symptoms are recognized but before fast coolant loss is apparent. If you do it, get the engine fixed as soon as possible in an effort to minimize further damage.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And then see if you can get that stuff out of all the passages. :confused:
    IMG_5213 Large.jpeg