1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to use 'Off Line" Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by plug-it-in, Jun 28, 2016.

1. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I am not poor, only practical. When I purchased my 2016 Prius I was looking for a practical package for my own use. Hence I ended up with the basic (Canadian) offer, NiMH battery but with the Prius Upgrade Package - collision avoidance, lane departure sensing, heated seats, etc. No Moon Roof, no Toyota SatNav.
    I am using off-line GPS programs for years on my smart phone. The main reasons are; I do not subscribe to data any data plan (so Google Map is out) and I can take my GPS on my phone wherever I travel around the world. Hard to do this with a GPS anchored to your car.

I use two off-line GPS apps. My preferred one is the 'here maps' - an evolution from the old Nokia Maps, the other is Sygic. Both are available on Google Play and I believe also for Apple phones. Here Maps is free, a huge bonus. As for Sygic, you have to buy it. During the year Sygic has special offers so if you try the free version of the app, wait with the purchase until a special offer is advertised (Xmas season?).
    Sygic has nicer displays (licensed from TomTom), and offers some neat features like DashCam and HUD options, both using your cell phone. As I said, my personal preference is the here app. I found that the algorithms used by the designers provide better, more accurate guidance, granted on a simpler screen. The here app is quicker to recover (recalculate your course) when either by mistake or by purpose you deviate from the course set by the system.

Both apps will connect to my Prius via Bluetooth. Select Audio Source = Bluetooth and your radio will play your recorded music on your phone. The GPS app will interrupt the music, take over when it has instruction(s) to the driver. I also found that this way I rarely need to peak at the screen of the phone, laying in the tray. (So far I found it hard to 'mount' the phone nicely. The angle of the windshield is too steep, and there are few smooth places on the dash.)

#1 plug-it-in, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    RCO and krmcg like this.
  2. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love my built-in navigation system, but fully understand that there are folk who quite happy to use an app on their cell phone.

You can use Google Maps without having constant access to data. While you are at home and connected to your WiFi, you can select an area, and download the appropriate map to your phone. I am not sure how big an area is included in such a download, but I use it with good results whenever we travel overseas.

ETP likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone had a dashboard mount that held the phone horizontally. that looked pretty cool.

4. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a vent-located magnetic mount that holds portrait or landscape - pretty slick

RCO likes this.
  5. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Did you try to use factory GPS in Europe? There is also a question about map updates. BMW charges an arm and two legs for it. I never had a built in GPS, but I hear others are complaining. My updates are free and easy. Suggest to keep maps on the external (add-on) memory if you have one.

There is a "kit" being sold to interface your cellphone to the car's display for around $250-300. According to the YouTube instruction it is a piece of cake. BUT there is a bug in the ointment. Your phone must support Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL). Apparently Apple phones do, many Android devices don't.

At the end to each his/her own solution is the best.

RCO and booke02 like this.
  6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Toyota Nav upgrades are free for 3 years in the UK. I prefer built in systems so I don't have to remove the nav and carry it around to prevent theft and a phone screen is too small for my old eyes.

RCO likes this.
  7. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If your Nav is an app on your phone no need to 'carry around the Nav'. When I was looking at the Volt, I learned that it can replicate the display of the phone (Apples and some Android phones) on the car's built in screen. I thought it was neat. It also solves the small screen issue.

But really, I am not trying to convince anyone, just spreading the word to list other solutions and their advantages - for some of us.

RCO likes this.
  8. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here maps are available as a free app for iOS. I have the app on my iPhone 5s. You can download maps for off line use as a plus...

RCO likes this.
  9. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    But the iPhone must be plugged in with cable... for Apple CarPlay to work. A big step backwards! How un-Apple like. A cable... really!

RCO likes this.
  10. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    I really like Here Maps too but have found that in the UK it, and Waze, seem to be very much less up to date with traffic info than the data and processor guzzling Google Drive app.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Waze actually works in quite a smart manner. As you travel a route, your Waze app reports your rate of progress, and understand the traffic conditions accordingly. If there is not a lot of traffic on your route, there wont be many reports and data may not be accurate. Here was bought from Nokia by a consortium of German car manufacturers and in 2015 copied the Waze system of collecting data about road congestion.

Did I mention that Waze is owned by Google?

RCO likes this.
  12. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    Could not agree more. And it doesn't look to change soon....I'm on iOS 10 beta 5 now and still need to be plugged in for CarPlay to work. #sadface

RCO and ETP like this.
  13. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Love my 5S but time for a divorce in the future to something that is 100% interoperable with a new Prius.

I would like the maps to show on the Prius screen as an alternative. All the phone maps are kept up to date and current for free.

RCO likes this.