1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to wire 4-wire harness for LED lights on 2015 v for trike rack?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by PJRpriusV15, Jul 22, 2019.

1. PJRpriusV15

PJRpriusV15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wiring harness for Towing a 2015 v with LED lights needed for double trike rack

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You need a powered trailer harness that combines the brake and turn signals while isolating the power draw like the Curt 56156. Yours will be like the one on the right with more connectors and a rear battery connection.

harness 2c.jpg

#2 rjparker, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  3. PJRpriusV15

PJRpriusV15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you, so where’s the best place to pickup a Curt 56156

4. PJRpriusV15

PJRpriusV15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I found one on Amazon, I’ll have it by Wednesday or Thursday. Looks easier than the way I was going, now to remove splice blocks.

5. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you want to mount your 4-flat connector on the exterior of your Prius instead of dangling its wires out and closing the hatch door on it, I highly recommend the Hopkins 48595 mounting bracket. It fits nicely on the bottom face of most Toyota bumpers and is easy to install. I paid only $4 for it at an auto parts store. Some Curt 4-flat connectors are not compatible with the Hopkins bracket. I bought a 48" Hopkins 4-flat extension to make it work on our Sienna. The attached photo shows the Hopkins bracket on a Sienna but it could be mounted the same way on a Prius v.

Hopkins 4 Flat Mounting Bracket - view from angle.jpg Hopkins 4 Flat Mounting Bracket #48595.jpg Hopkins Connector Set #48215 to adapt Curt #56106.jpg

PJRpriusV15 likes this.
  6. PJRpriusV15

PJRpriusV15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for the idea of the Hopkins 48595, I don’t like stuff dangling from my car that could make a noise because I really hate rattling stuff. I have a hitch lock on all attachments to car - hitch to car, bike rack to hitch.

7. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm paranoid too in that I always lock draw bars to receiver hitches, bike racks to receiver hitches and trailers to vehicles. And I always lock our bikes to our racks with multiple devices when we leave them unattended even for moment. I go as far as to lock the wheels on the bikes to the rack and hitch since bike wheels with disc brakes are very expensive to replace and are a popular theft target. On bikes that have quick release seats, I remove the seats and store them inside the vehicle.

FYI, I had to wrap the 4-flat connector on the Hopkins 4 ft. extension with a bit of electrical tape to make it fit rigidly without moving in the Hopkins bracket although doing that may not be necessary for your installation. If you can't tell, I'm quite enthusiastic about this cheap Hopkins bracket. It's the best 4-flat connector mounting method I've used.

8. PJRpriusV15

PJRpriusV15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This wiring of the hitch lights is for a double trike rack that has one recumbent trike mounted over another recumbent trike, the trike rack is called Hitch Rider which I just got about 3-weeks ago from a woman who’s father died and he owned the the trike rack and had set it up with an extra set of tail lights that mount off the top trike rack. I have a picture of the trike rack with two trikes on it. Car in picture is not mine.

Attached Files:

Offline likes this.