1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to wire up a (dis)charge plug for the HV battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by R-P, Feb 11, 2020.

1. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There must be several explanations with pics/vids showing this, but I cannot find them...

From my memory, there is a relay half way through the battery, so I assume it s not just wiring up two wires and a fuse? I have not seen the inside of a battery in real life, so want to be prepaired.

I want to do some battery maintenance (270000km/170kmiles). I have a charger (1000V 500mA) and 230V bulbs should do for the discharging.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget to use a large fan to keep the HV battery pack cool.

Read through the installation guide at : 2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius Plug-and-Play Car Harness Installation Instructions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

R-P and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fuse is in the middle of the battery inside the hybrid battery disconnect. So pull that out first. Relays are at both ends. So you can just do the connections at the relays. Wires are connected with nuts to studs so you can just use regular ring terminals. You will need to pull left (drivers side in LHD) rear seat back (two bolts) and trunk side panel. Then you can unbolt the plate and then the hybrid battery side cover. Connections are under plastic protectors check that there's no voltage there before touching!

Easy job. Takes less than an hour even at first time.

R-P likes this.
  4. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did it today. Must have been 5 hour work. Am I just slow?

Advice for anyone planning this: DON'T SIT ON THE HYBRID BATTERY. It deformed slightly but permanently under my weight ;) (due to lock-down it went from 95 to 100kg again... (220lbs?))

I only put in a pair of wires on the two HV wires, fused it with a 5A fuse very close to where I connected the wires (so blowing it means I have to open it all up again, so I had better be very careful...) and put a XLR-plug into the plastic trim in the boot to connect it up. I found this better than leaving a plug lying around, since I always have lots of stuff in my boot. Not sure if drilling into the plastic was wise, but no turning back now!

While using the "hybridautomotive" guide, I ran into the part about the fan. I don't have the harnass (so some of the 5 hours was used finding the correct wires, ringterminals, XLR-plug, fuse-holder and soldering it all together). What does that thing do? The box that hooks up to the fan? Simply run the fan full tilt while the charger is connected? I have my own charger (not a 'hybridautomotive' but an adjustable CV/CC 1000VDC 500mA powersupply) and adding a seperate 12V powersupply to run the fans is not a huge problem, but knowing if I can just put 12V on the connector or if I have to separate it and (dpdt) switch between the wires from the car and my own powersupply would be nice to know.

#4 R-P, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi R-P,
    I would upgrade that fuse to an 8 A slow-blow as I have done after discussing with Jeff from HA. At 220-240 V, it is right on the edge at 5 A. Luckily for me, I still had the car all "unbuttoned" as I did my first test charging straight after installing the harness. But, it was not the charging for me, it was when starting up the light bulbs (which again I had to modify my light bulb charger for using light bulbs rated for 240 V) the inrush current blew the fuse. I have half as many bulbs but twice the Wattage wired in parallel rather than serial pairs. I added addition bulb holders so I can add or remove bulbs at will which is convenient and helps to manage the inrush at startup.
    The purpose is, as you surmise, more or less a two-way switch which defaults to connecting the car wiring to the fan. When it is powered by the charger, it interrupts the car loom and supplies power to the fan (at speed 6 - highest) to power the cooling fan. One thing of which I'm not sure is whether it is a straight voltage because I think I read that the fan speed is controlled by pulsing the current (or is it the voltage?). Probably moot if running full speed. No doubt you can already answer from what you've already worked out.

I just wanted to contribute those two things and good luck with completing your project.

Alle beste.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All you need to do is connect the ring terminals and cables to fuse holders. And then the plug at the end. I just sit in the left rear seat bottom as only the back needs to be removed.

Fan box probably just runs the fan all the time. It's probably ok just to put power to the terminals of the battery fan but Hv ecu is monitoring the voltage to fan so there is a change that it might cause problems. i can't say as I haven't tested it. 12V is probably too much for the fan. I think it never gets full voltage in use. So you should feed it lower voltage. With low charging speed fan only needs to run at a low speed anyways.

#6 valde3, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  7. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I removed the fan completely to clean it. It wasn't that dusty (278000km/170k miles), cleaned it with a toothbrush and compressed air, but couldn't get all dust from the fins/blades of the fan. Motor is 12V so while it probably IS PWM (Pulse Width Modulation), just putting straight 12V on it should be no problem.

PWM is a method of lowering the average voltage an LED or a fan or whatever is supplied with it. It is much as a dimmer switch with a lightbulb, but with a DC voltage. If the 12V is switched ON for 1 second and then switched OFF for 9 seconds, the average voltage was 1.2 volt during those 10 seconds. Switch it ON for 5 seconds and OFF for 5 seconds, the average voltage was 6 volts during those 10 seconds.
    Obviously it will simply start up during these 5 second and stop accelerating once the 5 seconds are over and probably be stopped before we reach second 10 (mine had quite some resistance). But now change this five seconds to 5 millisecond. Now the accelerating will be only during these 5 milliseconds and then it will decelerate during 5 milliseconds. But the switching ON and OFF will be so fast it never is long enough to accelerate to maximum RPM but also never long enough to come to a full stop. So after a few seconds, there is an equilibrium between the acceleration and the deceleration which results in the same speed as running it with 6 volts.

BTW, I could only properly access the car through the boot as it was parked between two other cars. I like to think that this also slowed me down a bit ;)

The fuse is a standard glass fuse as I thought that was a good fuse for DC. I considered an autmomatic 10A fuse of a car fuse, but neither are suited for 250V DC. In these glass fuses, the 5A slowblow was the biggest I had. I do have some (sand filled) 16A versions in a homebuild powersupply that I no longer use that I could have pillaged, but 16A is fairly big for my wiring (standard 230V double insulated, I think 1mm^2, but might only be 0.75mm^2).
    I only have 105W 230V lightbulbs (and two sockets, so only 2A current draw at max), I could wire up a 300W filament thingy, but it gets so bloody hot that I don't want that in my car. But good to know about the inrush current. I hope the fact it is a T (stands for Träge, German for slowblow, and F is from the German "Flink", not Fast even though Flink and Fast mean the same...) means that it won't blow from my limited inrush current.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd stay away from any bulbs higher than 105 W. Trying to run a 250 W bulb just has too much inrush and gave me no end of problems. I always power up with 53 W then add the 100 W. I then turn off the 53 W and add the as many 100 W bulbs as I need, up to 5 in total. This has worked well for me.

See if you can find a 50 (or 53) W halogen bulb if you can't get a tungsten one. You will need that for the discharge after 164 V which on its own will give you ~20 mA draw.

Also, consider adding another two (or three) bulb holders (all in parallel) so that you start off with 420 W (or 525 W), it will help speed up the discharging a bit. If you start with 525 W reduce to 425 W @ 202 V.

For North American (and other 110 V countries, this information is not directly applicable to you. For one thing, you need to use half the Wattage but use 2 of those bulbs wired in series to get the same effect. If you were to make a multiple bulb holder set up (like I am describing) then these series pairs would be wired in parallel with each other. In the end, the automatic discharger starts to look more attractive as an option).

9. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bedankt Dolj! I already have a 40W halogen bulb. (the 105W is also a small halogen bulb with a large glass bulb around it, the normal 100W bulbs were banned a few years back).

I found a flaw in my plan: the battery prongs in the plug cannot be touched, but when I want to charge it, I will need a male plug attached to my 250 volt charger...

I want to add this thing to measure the amount of power taken out of the battery.
    [​IMG]
    I have a 33V 3A version that can easily be converted to measure 330V (I wrote about that in another thread and hopefully 3A should be enough, that's 600-700W of discharging...). When trying to figure out how to use this both during charging and discharging, I ran into the problem with one way or another ending up with a male plug with 250V on the touchable pins...

So I think I will convert it all to Speakon connectors. They were designed for professional audio like they e.g. use in rockconcerts. It has 4 contacts, each rated at 30A, but I will only use 2. Nicest thing about them is that both the male plug and the female chassis part have contacts that cannot be touched.
    [​IMG]

One other thing I thought of is that the connection to the 200V Prius battery I made can easily be used for a laptop power supply ;)
    They mostly work from 100V through to 250V AC. But as long as it is a SWITCHING powersupply, the first thing such a powersupply does, is rectify the AC voltage to a DC voltage. So it then works on (rectified 100V AC = ) 140V DC to (rectified 250V AC=) 350V DC on its main 400V capacitor. So feeding it with 200V DC (or even 260V while braking), which simply passes through the rectifier and thus fills the same 400V capacitor, would work perfectly.

But anyone trying this: do this at your own risk. If there is anything in the circuitry needing an AC voltage, you might be blowing something up. (I doubt it, but I'm not going to be held accountable for you burning your car down...)

#9 R-P, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    SFO likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    jesus

strawbrad likes this.