1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How useful is three-door SKS vs. one-door?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by marlinsmobile, Jan 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. marlinsmobile

marlinsmobile Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    experienced Prius owners... Tell me, how awesome is the three-door smartkey feature? I'm looking at used 2013s, trying to decide between a two and a higher-mileage three. I know that the three adds nav, satellite radio, backup camera, and hands-free entry on the passenger side and hatch.

If I factor in the cost of having XM and a backup cam installed on the two, the lower-mileage two still ends up being a slightly better deal on a per-mile basis. The navigation doesn't really add value for me, since I prefer to use my phone. However, would I be missing out on something really cool and useful by not having the three-door entry?

I don't have kids and mostly drive by myself or with one other adult. I'm coming from an aging Civic that actually requires a key to open the trunk (!), so having to press the fob button to unlock the hatch doesn't seem like it would be too burdensome. :)

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have 3 door SKS on my Camry and 1 door SKS on the Prius 3. It's something we miss on the Prius, but it really isn't that big of a deal.

Plus, you can program the car to unlock all doors and hatch with the driver's door SKS. So you can either do a double press on the fob unlock button, or walk around to the driver's door to unlock all doors.

Coqui likes this.
  3. Coqui

Coqui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Prius has the 1 door and it's set up to unlock all doors at the touch. While I wish I had it on all doors, it's not that bad to tap the driver door handle with hands full or using the fob.

4. Manhal K Alrashdan

Manhal K Alrashdan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I will advice on the lower mileage car even with fewer features . With a hybrid car , you have to think about replacing the expensive hv battery any time beyond 150000 miles.

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We have one of each (1-door vs. 3-door SKS), and the biggest thing for us is bringing stuff to the hatch and not being able to simply lift up on the release and unlock. We have to dig out the fob instead. We don't have the driver's door set to unlock all, so we have to open the driver's door, then touch the unlock if we want to go that route. So, for us, I'd say it's a big deal to only have 1-door...

6. marlinsmobile

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ha ha, yes, I was surprised by all of the firearms results while googling for info on smart key systems!

Merged

Thanks for the replies, everyone! It sounds like three-door actually is really nice to have, but maybe not a huge disappointment if you don't know what you're missing!

#6 marlinsmobile, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  7. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    That sounds reasonable.

Before I had SKS I didn't see much benefit. Having had 3 door SKS I would be very reluctant to change to a car without 3 door SKS and I think it would take take substantial other benefits to overcome this reluctance.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is more value in the back up cam.

iPhone ?

sprtent likes this.
  9. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    It's hard to respond without knowing how different the mileage is on the two cars. Priuses can run relatively trouble free for incredible distances and in general condition is a far more important factor than mileage. That of course does not mean that you should not prefer one with 20,000 miles over one with 120,000 miles.

Age appears to be a far more significant factor than mileage in the life of the traction battery. In fact it appears that lack of use may be of more concern than overuse. The warranty on the battery will depend on where you are and where the car was originally bought but 2013's will be covered for some time and likely a considerable number of miles to come.

Merged.

I agree. Sight lines are so poor in the Prius and most recent model cars that I would not be without a back up Camera. I would also place a significant priority on one that displayed on a dash mounted screen rather than a tiny image in the rear view mirror (which is how retrofits are usually done)

#9 energyandair, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  10. marlinsmobile

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right - we're not talking about a huge difference here (44K vs. 32K, and I drive about 18K mi/yr).

Definitely - that's the plan. The other benefit of adding a camera to the two vs. the factory three would be that I could have the guidelines on the screen.

Thanks again, all, for helping me think through this. I think I'm leaning toward the two now... It's also been dealer-maintained its entire life (the three was, too, through 30K, but no records after that). For me, personally, I think that is more valuable than some of the missing conveniences.

Of course, it would still need to pass final spousal approval and a PPI (the first being a more rigorous assessment ;))...

11. Coqui

Coqui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To me, that looks like a small differences in the car. If there weren't any other issues, I would go for the one that had all the features I wanted. Good luck on the purchase!

Hasan and sprtent like this.
  12. zzrguy

zzrguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That for sure I've got ting so use to it on all the stuff I drive I can't believe I didn't hit more stuff backing up.

13. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a convenience feature. Very useful though especially when you are carrying something large and all you have to do is to push the button to open the hatch instead of fumbling for your key and unlock the car. I had an opportunity to test drive a Lincoln MKC a while ago and to open the lift gate, all you have to do is swing your foot underneath the car and the lift gate opens. It's very cool.

Coqui likes this.
  14. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if you were to install aftermarket XM and backup cam for the same cost, they won't work/look as well as oem. Also, not only you get the benefits of using these features while owning the car, you will get some money back when selling.

15. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I have a 3 and the biggest reason was for the 3 Door smart key system. I have changed the stereo and navigation to something that was cheaper and more functional than the factory unit. Also, some on here have added the SKS to the passenger door and rear hatch.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've always had the 3 door and would be disappointed to lose it. but if you've never had it, it's probably not a big deal. the only issue is, there is no button for the rear hatch inside the car.

17. marlinsmobile

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I'm not even an owner yet, but I totally feel like part of the club now that I've had the legendary @bisco reply to one of my posts! :)

bisco likes this.
  18. marrat

marrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Opening the trunk with a touch is very useful, but having the backup cam is a must IMO. Once you get used to the fish eye angle, it's extremely useful for parking and such. I never used to park backwards with my other cars, now it's the only way I do my parking.

Hasan likes this.
  19. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How is this done? Would love to program my wife's car to do this.

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Should be in your user manual. With car in Ready, hold down the lock and the unlock button on your key fob IIRC. The car will beep and it toggles between driver's door only and unlock all doors and hatch settings.