1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How useful is three-door SKS vs. one-door?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by marlinsmobile, Jan 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    If it's for the 2008, you may want to check in the Gen 2 forum as resetting the Gen 2 may be different from the Gen 3)

2. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oops, I'm in the wrong forum.

Thanks! :)

3. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The backup camera is really nice to have. When I did have a Prius, it was pretty essential as it's hard to see out the back, and if there's something below the Prius, you can't see it at all. If you have kids that live nearby in your neighborhood, or cats, it's really useful in case they decide for whatever reason to cross your path as you're backing up.

My Chevy Volt also came with one, and like with the Prius it's incredibly useful and has allowed me to see stuff that I might have otherwise have driven over.

As for the 3 key SKS, both cars I've owned recently also has touchless entry and the push button start is really nice. Hated having to crank my aging Honda Civic before that, where if it got too hot, sometimes the car wouldn't start..

If the price difference isn't too great, I'd say go for the three. But if it costs say, $2k or more, then you'll probably be better off with the two unless money is no object. Being a Toyota, the Prius should last you well into the 150-250k range if you follow the scheduled maintenance, and don't drive with a lead foot, with braking at the last second at stoplights/signs.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it's 3rd gen, aftermarket back up cameras (plug and play) for a Prius Two with MFD are available for around $200 on Amazon. I have DIY thread on mine.

bisco likes this.
  5. marlinsmobile

marlinsmobile Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks again, everyone, for the advice. Someone actually got to that three before I did, and I wasn't able to find another in the mileage/year/color/price I liked. So, today, I became the very happy new owner of a 2013 two! I plan to have aftermarket XM and backup camera installed - I'll report back on how that goes.

I think it will be a good while before I can get too disappointed about having to use the fob to open the hatch. Today, on day one of ownership, I feel very accomplished if I remember how to unlock the doors at all!

Ashlem and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and all the best!(y)

7. marlinsmobile

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, time to report back after six months of ownership. Love this little car :love:. I had the backup camera and XM interface/tuner installed (both work seamlessly with the existing touch screen and the XM interface works with the factory audio controls on the steering wheel). This is my first backup camera, and I love the extra confidence in being able to peek over at the screen when backing up. I also love the XM because, well, the radio options in Atlanta are terrible.

Here are the kits I purchased. I had them installed at Best Buy.
    Backup Camera Kit
    XM interface and tuner kit

I'm already totally spoiled by the keyless entry. I have a normal keyed lock on my house, and I sometimes forget that I can't just put my hand on the knob to get in :) I do sometimes have a little regret about not having three-door SKS. I keep my work backpack in the passenger seat, and sometimes I walk around to retrieve it from the passenger-side door. At that point, I have to take out the fob to lock the car, since I don't have keyless on the passenger door. NOT a big deal. I'm very grateful to have found a seemingly well-cared-for car, and would not give that up in hindsight. At the last oil change, the guy at the dealership said (with a hint of frustration) that everything looks like-new, and he could not find any additional services to recommend - ha.

avusblue, WolfpackBill and bisco like this.
  8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it would be easier than taking out the fob, you could press the rocker switch on the armrest to lock up before closing that door.

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you're liking it.

9. marlinsmobile

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ugh, I am so embarrassed that I never noticed the switch on the passenger side... In my defense, my old car only had a lock/unlock switch on the driver's side. Thanks for the advice - I use it every day!

10. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    We have a 2008 with three door SKS and a 2015 with one door SKS. It drives me crazy not to have the three door. I suppose it is more apparent because one of the cars has it and the other does not. I don't take the keys out of my pocket so I walk forward to activate the driver's door, then walk back to the hatch.

Ever since we owned the 2008 I wished it had FIVE door SKS. We have a young child and he goes in first so we can make sure he is latched in his car seat. So I'd want the passenger doors also to have SKS. Yes it's just a very small reach to the front door but still...