1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How well do you think the piano black plastics will hold up?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jim in NC, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi everyone. I'm the new owner of an Eco 2 Gen 4 Prius, but not new to the Prius family.
    I have also driven my Gen 3 package II for 5+ years.

My old Prius has held up pretty well, but the plastics are horribly cheap and scuffed and scratched badly after a couple of years.
    • The clear display for the climate control now looks like a hazy, swirled POS
    • My lower glove compartment door has all kinds of vertical scratches in it from my putting my gym bag in and out of the car on the passenger side.
    The part I'm mostly concerned about is the touchscreen for the infotainment system. All of us will be touching that multiple times per day. Though for now it looks durable, there may be times when a ring or fingernail may hit it wrong and leave a scratch. On some other car forums some owners are installing iPad screen protectors over their infotainment screens. Does anyone think this is a good idea or have you already done it?

My other concern -- for now Darth Vader looks nice and shiny. But over the years if he starts getting all scratched up it will look crappy and I'll hate seeing it every time I get in the car. I'm very anal about that kind of stuff.

Thoughts...?

dfine1966 and Coast Cruiser like this.
  2. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used a light coat of Meguiar's car wax on my "Darth Vader" display, as well as the black dashboard pieces and my "fine white china." Not sure if that will help prevent scratches, but the wax makes it look nice and shiny.

I rarely touch the "touchscreen", I use the steering wheel buttons as much as possible. Volume, channel changes, mode, etc. I just found out that clicking that mode button twice, turns on the radio. Or, for the ultimate laziness I can use the voice activation for many things. "Tune to 101 FM." . (I keep a small soft micro-fiber cloth in the car to remove any fingerprints.)

I really like that XM radio, but not sure if I want to pay $18 a month for it. I only listen to 3 or 4 channels.

(I'll tell you what really bugs me, is all the dirt and water stains that I'm finding on the inside door sill area! The front tires throw up water/dirt and it goes right in that crack under the front doors! Finger prints on Darth Vader I can deal with... but not dirt on my pants when I exit the car and my lower leg touches that dirty door sill.)

"Now serving, Hot Green Tea Latte' on fine white china... Anyone?" (You "Boys in Black" don't know what you're missing. :cool:)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Jim in NC likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've have some piano black interior parts on my 2013 CMax and they still look new. (y) No special care or products used as I usually just wipe them down with a damp micro-fiber towel.

#3 fotomoto, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  4. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    CC, I think the wax idea is good. Does it leave a smell or anything? I'm sensitive to smells in the car especially if it is a strong chemical odor.

Also that's a good idea about the voice control thing. I haven't messed with it because I thought it might not do much. I'm more used to Siri and her little quirks. Does the voice thing do more than the radio? In one of my previous Hondas it could control the defrosters, climate control, NAV, audio, screen display, etc.

On the XM radio, I hear you can get a better rate when you threaten to not renew. My co-worker is getting it for $40/6 months after his trial was out.

I think a set of mudguards will cure the problem you're seeing with the dirty door sills. I'm planning to get some as soon as they're available. :)

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  5. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I extended my XM subscription at $5.00 a month. Took me turning down two or three offers and insisting that I wanted the lowest price availble. 6 months only and will have to call again at that time to keep the price low.

6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I use a microfiber cloth to keep the fingerprints off; but I also have a Swiffer for the dust ,not just on the screen; but on the entire dash which I find is a worse problem.

Coast Cruiser and Jim in NC like this.
  7. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great idea! (swiffer). I have one of those but never thought of using it in the car.

8. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg
    Jim, I'm using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (pure synthetic polymer). It's the easiest wax I have ever used. Very easy on, and off. I don't detect too much odor, maybe slightly, however everyone is different. It's my main polish for the exterior; drys clear, in case you happen to miss a little spot when wiping. So I thought I would try some on the Darth Vader, too. Did it again today. And I want to keep the "fine china" polished in case I spill something again.

The voice system won't turn on the climate control. She kept telling me that she doesn't understand my request. :confused: But it turns on the navigation, and the radio, and of course she will give you directions. I think that's about it. I'm still experimenting with it. (One time I said: "directions to the nearest McDonald's." And she brought up 7 on the screen,)

(Important Edit: Meguiar's has a similar product called "Ultimate Polish." TOO HARSH for interior pieces. It's meant to remove swirl marks in paint. I only use "Ultimate Wax" which is much more mild and comes off very easy. Please don't anybody take my suggestion and scratch your interior! I've been lucky so far.Maybe another question we should ask is, "How well do you think the exterior paint will hold up?"

I found my first damage in the paint. A small cut, right below the left "Black Bermuda Triangle" (fog light hole plug.) Something "sharp" hit the car.

Yes, I'm angry. In 11 years of driving my old 2005 Camry, I never got any road rashes on the front end. I've had my Prius for only 6 weeks. Anybody have that film put on the front of the car? How well does that hold up?

#8 Coast Cruiser, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
  9. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Exactly, that is why they are pushing the film option from the factory. Don't know any other way to protect it. ARGH!

10. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I'm now a proud member of the "First Scratch Club." No big deal. That's the least of my worries.

But, it would've been nice to have the car "ding free" for at least the first friggin' 6 months! o_O Auto companies are making the paints more thinner in order to save money. I'll bet you a large Pizza on it.

(I'll just put a "Make America Great Again" sticker over the ding. :ROFLMAO:)

#10 Coast Cruiser, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    dfine1966 and Jim in NC like this.
  11. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry to hear. Where on the car did you get the scratch?
    I was planning on getting clearbra put on the car. It already has the Toyota paint protection film but I think it is worthless and cheap. It only covers a small area.

12. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Jim, what's this "clear bra" thing you're referring to? My new ding/scratch is on the front... right below the black plastic thing that covers the empty fog light hole. Something sharp hit me. (Why couldn't that object hit the plastic cover?!)

#12 Coast Cruiser, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  13. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Clearbra is a thick protective film that can be installed on the front of the car for protection against rocks and other debris from chipping and scratching your car.

I had it on the entire hood, front bumper and headlights of my old Prius. They still look good today.

It is an expensive thing. Installed it would run somewhere ~$1000 or more. If you do a lot of highway driving it may be worth it.
    Many people swear by it. A couple of broken headlamp units prevented and it would pay for itself.

14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. So I guess I won't waste my money on the "protective film" the Toyota dealer offers.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This dilemma will continue as long as auto manufacturers keep using painted black plastic fairings fore and aft.

One thing some full-fairing motorcycles had was small, low-cost detachable pieces at the most likely contact points.

16. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Toyota protective film came on my 2010, I can see several places where it has been hit. If it weren't there, I'm sure I'd have paint missing. It's not the best, but for some folks it is better than nothing.

17. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, lots of plastic. And thin metal. As I said in another thread, I'm starting to learn the intricacies & oddities of the Prius. I accidentally leaned on a fender or the hood too hard when waxing my car.... and I heard (and felt) the "oil can" sound. But that's not surprising, they have to cut weight in order to get those great MPGs.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I was trying to explain to some of my co-works what low rolling resistance was.

I was going to invite them to push my car to see how easy it was, but then I realized, "where will I allow them to push that would do no harm". I kept my mouth shut on that one.

jp