1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How will the Chevrolet Volt be better than a Toyota Prius plug-in hybrid?

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by Adaam, Jan 31, 2011.

1. seal2cc

seal2cc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re the Volt, I just have an aversion to having to use premium gas in any vehicle oriented to low cost, efficiency etc. Seems counter-intuitive.

My Prius IV is just so elegant in the many ways Toyota has thought of everything (subjective opinion I know). The Series III is a car that can stand on it's own no matter what the propulsion system. The Volt's only draw is it's propulsion system. Outside of that there are too many other compromises for me. And I agree, if this doesn't add up $-wise, it could become a GM orphan...while Toyota has many years of dedication to these types of vehicle.

Re pure EV, I'm not hearing a lot about Ford EV full charge in 3.5 hours vs Leaf 8 hours...that's a BIG plus for Ford...and I'm on the customer list for a Leaf (earliest is late summer so I can watch developments).

Interesting times indeed...

Chris

1 person likes this.
  2. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Right on que!

More Volt FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt)

Why would a Volt be more likely to turn on inside of a garage then a plug in Prius or other car? There is no greater risk with the Volt.

There are many factors that should guide your decision. How long is your commute? How easy is it for you to plug in? Do you want to have TWO cars or is this a second car?

Short commute less then 10 miles and/or you can plug in at work:
    Get the Prius plug in. It gets better MPG and will cost less. The Prius also has more room inside.

Often take LONG trips of hundreds of miles? Get the Prius again, its your car. The long trips in the Volt will bring down the total MPG closer to its EPA rating nullify plugging in.

Able to have two cars? As others have said, get a cheap regular car (used Prius/Civic?) and get a Nissan Leaf. Use the Leaf for most off your driving. The Leaf is a bargain after federal credits and is the most efficient mass produced car.

Ah but here is the part that some here just don't get (or don't want to get) .....
    Only want one car? Commute regularly 40 miles round trip or can plug in at work for longer trips? The $42k price not a problem? The Volt may be your car! There are many people that fit that profile. Not me but about 1/2 the people I work with. With a Volt they would be using almost no gas.

The free market finally is giving us more electrified car options. The Volt is a perfect fit for some.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are the one suggesting Volt has greater risk. Isn't voiding gasoline usage the whole point with the Volt? It does not justify $41k (that you need to plug it in) to use the gas engine to warm itself up. You can buy a Cruze with a remote starter to do that and it doesn't require plugging it in.

Cold weather reduces the EV range from 35 to 25 miles. Preconditioning feature supposed to restore some of the miles by drawing electricity from the plug. In reality, it turns on the gas engine when it is very cold. This should not happen to an "EV" or even a plugin hybrid.

If PHV Prius runs the gas engine to precondition, I would be very vocal about it also. I doubt it since Prius IV with solar panel and remote A/C does not turn on the gas engine.

These are new technologies with the arrival of the plugin. The purpose of this discussion is to understand the right way to implement these features with a new twist (plug). It is not intended to raise fear, just awareness. Let's understand what works, what doesn't and move on.

These charts below sums it up from the DOE report.

[​IMG]

PHV15 = PHV Prius.
    PHV40 = Volt.
    EV = Leaf.

Hope it doesn't snow because 3" ground clearance is not going to cut it. Planning to start a family? The lack of baby seating capability in the rear won't work.

Volt is basically a commuter car and it typically means Volt is the second car.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I also don't know if that "feature" made it to production, but you know it's not quite as silly as it sounds (especially if it's only done if the car is "ready" when opening the hood). I know that one most dangerous things for anyone working on a Prius is the possibility of doing something under the hood while thinking that the car is off when in fact it's actually ready.

5. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hmm, I'm not sure who to believe: USB who's never even seen a Volt much less driven one or actual Volt owners? Here's what they have to say about driving in the snow:

"Harvey Rubin - "I drove my Volt 70 miles on unplowed roads after a 5 - 7 inch snowstorm here (Governor Christie of Nj doesn't like to waste money on public safety I guess). Handled unbelievably."

Lyle Dennis - "I'm finding the car very solid and stable in the snow. Yet another situation where its weight and low center of gravity help out."

"My volt is doing better than i would have expected in snow and ice - better than any other 2 wheel drive car I've ever owned. We've had quite a bit of snow & ice on Long Island and my office parking lot hasn't been plowed (still 4-5 inches on the ground before the last snow) and the volt was trudging right through."

"I drove it for the first time after its "interment" this morning. Started out at 100% 32 miles (28F). After arriving at work (7 mile drive) it says 71% 22 miles left.
    The roads were everything between clean and wet to 3 inches of slush."

"I drove it for the first time after its "interment" this morning. Started out at 100% 32 miles (28F). After arriving at work (7 mile drive) it says 71% 22 miles left.
    The roads were everything between clean and wet to 3 inches of slush."

and

"My husband was very happy being stranded in his new Volt in this last snowstorm in DC. His commute is about an hour but ended up being 6 1/2 hours due to the major storm that hit during rush hour. He only used 3/10 of a gallon of gas in that 6 1/2 hour period. I was in the same predicament in my Traverse and ended up guzzling a quarter of a tank!"

Volt in the Snow

1 person likes this.
  7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What more do you need? The photo clearly shows Volt only has a little more than 3 inches available. Any snow higher than that will make direct contact with the vehicle and will require energy to push out of the way.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. Considering the relevant posts on the Volt Forum I would say that ground clearance is an issue, at least with regards to scraping up driveways and speed bumps. Light snow will likely have very little effect on the Volt but roads that have been plowed could cause more problems than one would experience in a car with more ground clearance.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This could make the world's first battery powered snow plow.

[​IMG]

His latest update shows the day after it started snowing (1/7), he drove the Volt only one more day in the next 9 days. Why? I asked but there was no answer.

His logs are missing days from 12/20/2010 to 12/29/2010 indicating he didn't drive the Volt. Guess what? There was a huge snow storm in NJ/NY. This is the photo of a MTA bus stuck in the snow. I took it from my Prius on 12/27/2010.

Was he driving another vehicle for those days? Was the Volt out of commission? It appears Volt is not up to chore.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any particular engineering reason for the low ground clearance?

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because it's cooooool.... ;)

All my friends know a lowrider
    The lowrider gets a little higher
    Lowrider drives a little slower
    Lowrider is a real goer
    Lowrider knows every street, yeah
    Lowrider is'a one to meet, yeah
    Lowrider don't use no gas, now

Lowrider don't drive too fast

1 person likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL ! i never knew!:p

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Very few will understand the significance behind that particular phrase!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I appreciate it though.

And yes, the lack of information from that source gives good reason to wonder. Getting less following delivery doesn't make sense. All that build up, then almost nothing. Hmm?

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Aerodynamics. They "cheated" but it is still not enough to get it down to as low as Prius' 0.25 Cd.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yup, it's called cheating the wind. :) I'm pretty sure you know that is a pliable piece of plastic (hey that's alliteration!) which was designed to be a removable/replaceable item.

GM just like other car manufacturers knows how to test a car for winter conditions. They're headquarters in Michigan for goodness sakes.

Let's condemn a car because a neurosurgeon doesn't post online 24/7. ;)

Dude, just admit it: you hate the car, the company, whatever. Just don't continue to use the "it's their marketing" excuse. OK?

3 people like this.
  16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you asking me to lie? Driving force behind me is love, not hate. Again, this is off-topic talking about me, instead of the cars. If you want to discuss about me, just send me a private message.

Your profile indicates you own a Prius. Really? You seem to be more enthusiast about the Volt than the Prius. Why don't you own a Volt instead?

Cheating wind by compromising ground clearance is a trade off. Prius gets 0.25 Cd with 5.5" off the ground. If the Volt is 5.5" off the ground, it wouldn't get 40 MPG on the highway for sure.

When I looked through Volt's service schedule, I don't remember seeing a checkbox to replace that skirt.

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Quite the opposite. I want you to tell the truth: You hate the car and/or company and your "it's their marketing" explanation is just a PC reason (acronym meaning politically correct not prius chat).

Admit it.

Come on, man up and:
    [​IMG]

:)

2 people like this.
  18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Doug, I do not like how Volt was marketed. All the promises were not met yet it managed to win awards before the official EPA figures were released. It really highlights how deep this perception marketing goes.

Attacking me to avoid discussing facts about the Volt is a nice strategy. It won't work. Reality is the killer for the perception.

Please keep the focus on the Volt for a constructive discussion. Your posts are nothing but a distraction.

I have not put anyone on my ignore list. Don't push it to make yourself #1 on it.

1 person likes this.
  19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Seawolf, we love you and want to help. (locking the doors, this is an intervention) The first step is admittance.

Come on:

[​IMG]

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The second step is to accept what is being produced.

Tell us what about it will appeal to mainstream consumers.