1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How's your Winter mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by FishHawk, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm down to an average of 45.2 mpg on my '07 Prius.

Besides colder temperatures, it may be that winter formulation gasoline is lighter for increased volatility and contains less energy. That's my theory, for part of the decline in mpg's. I've also notice less mpg's during humid weather.

Harry

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm up to about 52mpg. I've been through one summer, but my mileage keeps increasing even in the cold. ;)

3. kyherdgirl

kyherdgirl New Member

Well my last tank of gas(about 6.5 gallons) I averaged 41.5 mpg...I filled up last night with two clicks left(6.5 gallons) and drove about 2miles and averaged 28mpgs...I park outside and the temp this morning was 25 degrees...I drive about 25 minutes/20 some miles to work and by the time I got there I was up to 40 mpgs...temps this afternoon still in the upper 20's and by the time I got home(same distance same route non interstate) I'm at 39.5 mpgs...and have clicked off one bar on the "guess" gauge.... Last year I did better so I'm wondering if the winter gas formula is different this year.....

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My mileage is definitely DOWN this winter but there are two reasons for this...

1.) It's been considerably colder on average this year and we've gotten way more snow.

2.) My commute has picked up 2 new stop lights that are on a hill on a highway so when they get me they force me to accelerate up hill (to work) in a 55 mph zone so they can definitely have an effect.

I've been in the low 40's as a result. My last 3 tanks have all been under 45 mpg.

5. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

Hi All,

Funny most everyone agrees there winter mileage this year is worse than last year. Last spring we purchased our second Prius - a 2006 thinking it was going to be a bump up from the 2004. We got the full boat package, barcelona red.

My mileage on the 06 has been 8-10 miles less per gallon than the 04. Driving has been the same, my commute is 25 miles of freeway with one stop light on the main stretch - then appr 2 mile city driving with numerous stop and go lights. I am at a lose as to why the big change. We have been warmer by FAR and have significantly less snow here. By the way I live in Northeast Wisconsin.

I also have been noticing that the braking system is making some odd noises and the front of the car lurches (for lack of a better word) slightly. I thought maybe the battery/brake system was not charging correctly. Not to mention my nav system does not show street names at the closer zoom levels. Yes, I took the car in to Lemiuex Toyota (thats a whole different story) and they said the car was "fine" it all "checked out".

Im not a newbie owner and service at Lemiuex is horrendous at best. My next move is Kolosso Toyota in Appleton to have it looked at. Im very frustrated. How can you go from winter mileage of 48-52 in 2004 and 2005 down to 39-40 with this car. At one point a conspiracy theory popped into my head ... (lol)

The hubby and I are just bewildered - and very disappointed - so much so this may be our last Prius and only because compared to my 2004 this seems like a step backwards for the little car that could - Prius.

Okay I have vented and left room for any imput -

Thanks all for you time.
    LisaMay

2004 Black Beauty Prius
    2006 Red Rider Prius

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LisaMay @ Jan 30 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]382798[/snapback]</div>
    How does it compare to the FIRST winter of your 04?

Also, I thought 2006 models don't go up to #9???

7. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Probably the main reason the Prius (and all other cars) get lower mileage in the winter is because gasoline is reformulated in the winter to lower air pollution.

See the following link for info on the difference between winter and summer gasoline:

http://www.epa.gov/orcdizux/rfgecon.htm

8. zzyzx

zzyzx Junior Member

I just filled up - 51.4 mpg. My first above 50 mpg tank since October (although my December tanks were 49.5 and 49.3 so it's hard to complain TOO much). It's about time!

9. abeagler

abeagler New Member

In my 2001 Prius my mileage has plummetted with the colder weather. I was getting 49-51 in summer, down to about 48 in the Fall. With the milder 30-40 degree temps in December I was clocking in around 42-46. Right now I'm having my worst tank, though, about 38.

The context for this is a week of below-freezing temps, below 10 this weekend, and a commute that is only about 7 miles, stop and go.

10. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been getting killed in mileage this winter. Most tanks were 31-33, with the current tank at 38 due to slightly increased temperatures.

11. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My mileage isnt too hot either, last week getting down to 2 bars and driove only 263 miles.......the temps here have been brutal, getting down in the single digits at 5 this morning, so I pretty much know that my mpg will be suffering for a while. But the safety features in this car driving in the snow and ice conditions are definitely worth it.

Can't wait for spring to return!

12. gypc

gypc New Member

:( Bought a new Prius in Aug of 06 and have only got 2300 miles on it averaging only 35 mpg. The temp this morning was 6 degree and this tank i,m only getting 25 mpg. The heater rans all the time and I have only short trips about 2miles each way. I haven,t been on the interstate yet and i,ve only hit 50 miles per hour once. always short trips , with many traffic lights. Hope to do better as time goes. It is still better than my 05 Ka sportage all wheel drive (12 to 15 mpg in city) Great car great site!!!!!

13. sistersinhim

sistersinhim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Dec 20 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]364897[/snapback]</div>

I have gone from 50 mpg to 38 mpg. on my last 2 fillups. I called the Toyota service department and they said it was because they are now adding ethanol to the gas. Have any of you heard this excuse? I have a '05, which I bought new. Last winter I dropped only a couple of miles per gallon. If it is the ethanol this year, and it's something that will be added to the gas for now on, where does that leave us hybrid drivers? I also have a new passenger that weighs at least 300 lbs. Would he have that much impact?

14. bcarson

bcarson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FishHawk @ Dec 20 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]364897[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, my mileage down at least 10mpg since middle of Dec. Very cold here now. Barely getting 35mpg
    More like a lowbrid !

15. mrbogie

mrbogie New Member

Someone mentioned in Priuschat that it was better to "get to speed quickly" for better milage than gradually accelerate.
    Just wondered what everyone else thinks.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My average is now at 49.7 MPG. It dropped 0.3 MPG in two weeks as the temperature dipped by 50 degrees. I can't wait until the winter is over!! Sheeesh! Thanks to grill blocking tip, my first winter is not too bad. :D I expected a lot worse.

Dennis

17. DSB

DSB New Member

Unfortunately, I've dropped from about 43mpg to about 35mpg. I jhust blocked my grill to see if that helps.

18. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've been getting low mileage -- around 35mpg -- over the past couple of months. There are several factors though. The temperature has dropped and I haven't been driving the car very much. Just short trips to and from Metro or shopping. The lowest average mpg on my display has been 23 mpg!

When I first bought my 06 in June, I took it on a some long trips and was routinely getting around 50mpg. Current lifetime average over 8,000 miles is 44.5mpg.

19. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

We had a cold streak in Chicago where the highs were in the single digits and even negative! Our MPG has dropped to 39.x. :p This is also after an oil change a few weeks back. I think it's just life without the 'ideal conditions' for the Prius(moderate temps, flat roads, less stops). It will probably go back to around 50 during the summer.

20. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 New Member

[attachmentid=6558]Mileage has been better this winter than last two so far. It's been warm here until about mid-January, so that may be part of the reason. I also improved my technique startind May 2006 and put a block heater in in October and blocked the grill in December. See attached chart for Monthly mileage.

Attached Files: