1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How's your Winter mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by FishHawk, Dec 20, 2006.

1. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Now that it's actually been below freezing for a while here, my mileage has PLUNGED, PLUNGED I tells you, from an average of 50 MPG to a mere 47 MPG! What a disappointing piece of crap this car has turned out to be! I demand an apology, or possibly seppuku!

:rolleyes:

2. LanceinOregon

LanceinOregon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Jan 29 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]382393[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'>
    I'm down to an average of 45.2 mpg on my '07 Prius.

Besides colder temperatures, it may be that winter formulation gasoline is lighter for increased volatility and contains less energy. That's my theory, for part of the decline in mpg's. [Doggone it! It is always raining this time of year here in Oregon. It has been over two weeks now since our last dry day. Is that really affecting my mileage??

Lance in Orygun

3. sebapisa

sebapisa Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 20 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]364945[/snapback]</div>
    Does anyone know if the fact that batteries don't perform well in cold weather also affect gas mileage? I am thinking this because the electric engine won't be working as much as with a better performing battery.
    Thanks.

4. smokey1

smokey1 New Member

Hi all,

I've had my prius since 2/12/07 and yesterday got the best mileage to date. With mixed driving including highway got an average of 52.5 in 40 degree temps. Couldn't be more pleased. Funny thing was that my Husband was driving on the highway behind another prius (seaside pearl) just like mine and everytime the average got higher he would point at the screen and bounce up and down on his seat. It could be my fault because I was bragging about my 48 mpg average and it has turned into a competition all in good fun. I can see how addictive achieving higher mpg's can be. :)

5. j4wendling

j4wendling New Member

I'm lucky to get 34 when the temp is 25F or less. I did think that was bad until I read some of the other posts. Normally the '04 gets about 44 and my best trip ever was only 47. There is a thread started by MisterW on low mileage that drew a comment about possible throttle body deposits. Apparently a number of people have seen marked decreases in sequential winters, with all other factors being controlled for. It was hypothesized that indeed a gummy TB would be a greater hindrance to mpg in winter than in summer. No one picked that up to finish it though.
    So.......the question is (or may be)....TB or not TB?
    My car's previous owner did spring for a TB cleaning but I figured she just got tricked by the dealer. She didn't provide any info re: mileage, but I do suspect that she was seeing some diminishing returns; she bought the Camry hybrid and sold her car on ebay.
    I'm jealous of anyone getting the high 40's and up, but had just attributed it to luck of the draw, plus short trips, etc. Perhaps someone with expertise could put this Throttle Body question to rest.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    4.6L/100km right now at nearly 600kms... that's 51mpg :p Temps are around 10°C/50°F

7. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We did very well on our first trip, 53.4 MPG. However around town our MPG is not so hot, in the high 30's. I have taken some advice from PC, raising my tire pressure, turing off the climate controls for the first 5 to 10 minutes while warming up. Spring is just around the corner, I hope, 5 degrees this morning, so I have not blocked the grills yet. We are watching our driving to try and get the best MGP we can. With the heater turned off I will have to buy my wife a new coat, insulated jeans and a blanket just for the car. I think the MPG in the 30's would be cheaper. We are happy with the MPG as it is almost triple our last car around town, but not as high as most posters seem to get.

8. kyherdgirl

kyherdgirl New Member

I'm still having mpg issues...I took it from KY to GA where the temp
    down there was in the upper 70's but still averaged 47mpg...(usually can get 51-52 at
    that temp)..temps up here now are in the upper 60's/70's and am only getting
    42mpgs....did the tire pressure thing and that's right...just had the oil changed last week...
    turned over 50k on our way back Sunday...2005 model....is it the gas mixture you think?
    Maybe an oil filter?
    I parked in a garage while in GA for the weekend but home in KY I park outside...overnight
    temps are in the low 30s...

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    FINALLY!

After weeks of below-freezing weather and getting 36 - 39 MPG tanks, I just went on a 300-mile road trip in 45 degree weather and came home with 44.9 MPG! Yay!!!

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 12 2007, 09:33 PM) [snapback]404612[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I expect to be driving down to California (Watsonville near Monterey Bay) in about a week and a half. That'll be a long enough trip to get the car warmed up at a warmer time of the year. I hope to see some decent mileage then.
    Right now it's down to about 48 mpg (after having been as high as 52 mpg for several days). Now there's been too much around town (2 miles or less at a time) driving. It warmed up here too. It's 45F now, but has been in the mid 50s several days this week.

Dave M.

Dave M.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Shute! I didn't see the "hows your winter mileage" thread, 'till I posted it under the "I beat the EPA" / efusco thread. But then again, getting over 61mpg on a tank in the WINTER? YEAAAYY! Anywho, that's where I put the pic. Although the stock Goodyears wore out quick (2 sets) they DID do well for mpg. I have a feeling the replacement michelin hydroedge's are draggin' the mpg down into the 50's though. Will report later.

12. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

Despite the overall warmer than average winter, I have noticed worse mileage this year vs. last year (my first winter w/ the Prius). I am curious if this year's winter gas formulation is different (i.e., less consumption efficient) than last year's.

Can't wait for Spring.

13. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My gas mileage shot up last week when morning temps rose above 32F. I was getting 48mpg, now I'm getting 58mpg. It's great to be able to get into EV right off the bat for that first mile of down-hill driving.

14. slarochelle

slarochelle New Member

Posting from Waterville, Maine. I purchased my Prius in late January 2007 (my first new car purchase) during an exceptionally warm spell (40sF) which was immediately followed by more than a month of below average temps -- many days with a HIGH in the negatives. One day, even after parking in the bright sun all day long, the temperature guage in my car read only -6F when I started it up to go home from work. Lows easily in the -20s or lower at night. Not unusual to see -10F or so when starting up before dawn in the morning. Driving short trips to work -- about 10-15 minutes -- and using fairly conseravitve driving techniques. No additions or modifications to the car. Average MPG was 35-38. Once the temp rose above 32F, though, the car started behaving much differently. Average MPG is 45 in 40F range. Am looking forward to warmer temps...can't wait for those tropical 50s! :D I have complete faith that MPG will improve as the weather does. Not worried at all. The Prius gets better MPG in the winter than my previus vehicle: 1999 Rav4. Love the car. Great forum. BTW, my SO's last tank netted 28 MPG for her 2006 Corolla.

15. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Mar 19 2007, 05:11 AM) [snapback]408282[/snapback]</div>
    Well. It's not winter mileage anymore. My last full tank was 47.8 mpg by the MFD and 47.7 by calculation.

Right now with only 56 miles on the tank, the MFD shows 61.0 mpg. Of course, this is cheating since I always get better mileage right after a fill, since I'm driving longer distances. I haven't gone less than 7 miles on any trip since then, with most trips at least 15 miles. Also, the only freeway driving has been short and not exceeding 65 mph. OTOH, it has involved two trips with elevation drops and rises of close to 1000 ft. So I'm not complaining. In addition, I've put back on the old Integrities and pumped them up to 42/40. The temperature is definitely warmer. It was into the 60s yesterday. As soon as my wife starts taking 1 - 2 mile trips, I know the mileage is going to drop like a rock. Hopefully it will still be close to 50 mpg or above.

Dave M.

17. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Dec 21 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]365003[/snapback]</div>
    How are you managing mileage in the 70's when most of us are averaging mileage in the high 40's/low 50's??

18. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel Flight Pilot @ Mar 19 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]408455[/snapback]</div>
    He's P&Ging like his life depends on it. Apparently his normal commuting route is very well suited to it.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it really depends on your route too. My commute is ideal but once I decide to go anywhere else, my mileage will plummet. Except for those of us on PriusChat, the other people in our area tend to get 1L/100km worse than us.

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel Flight Pilot @ Mar 19 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]408455[/snapback]</div>
    He'll have to answer that but in my case it comes down to mastering ICE warm-up and knowing what speeds give what MPG:

[​IMG]

NOTE: The red-line with a fixed overhead energy load does not seem to fit some of the data. This remains an area under investigation due to an ICE coolant characteristic recently discovered in the North American NHW11 Prius, 2001-2003.

For the vast majority of my driving, I use constant speed driving. As a general rule, I try to stay 38 mph and below or at least 48 mph and above. I avoid 39-47 mph because it is too easy to make transitions through 42 mph where there appears to be a mileage hit.

The closest to pulse-and-glide I use is during ICE warm-up in my NHW11, 03 Prius. I use "N" to coast while the ICE warms up (or my thermistor hack begins adjusting the coolant temperature reporting.) Once the ICE warms up, "N" coasting is used when I am approaching an intersection where I'm going to stop or when I'm reducing my speed to a lower speed limit. Once at the new speed, I keep it in "D" and maintain a constant speed on level streets.

Bob Wilson