1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How's your Winter mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by FishHawk, Dec 20, 2006.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll answer for him (VaBeachPrius) since he's traveling overseas at the moment, and I know a little about his situation. As Brick and Bob suggest, he keeps his speed low, and he pays close attention to his driving technique to take full advantage of the hypermiling ability the Prius offers. He has a commute route well suited for pulse & glide terrain-wise (relatively flat), distance-wise (long enough for good ICE warmups), speed-wise (non-highway), and traffic-wise. He lives near the coast of Virginia where winter temperatures are more moderate than they are inland. He has a block heater, so ICE warmup time is shortened considerably.

2. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 7 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]402071[/snapback]</div>
    Well Tideland, you still beat me everytime. I'm pretty happy with 5.2 L/100km given my circumstances on the last two tankfuls and then I see you at 4.6 and hang my head. Wow. I know your commute as you described it before isn't highly conducive to great mileage. Is it because you have the EV button and I don't? How do you employ it? I do keep my heater off unless the ICE is totally warmed up and the car isn't stopped, etc.

Fibb

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fibb222 @ Mar 23 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]411005[/snapback]</div>
    Actually the opposite. My commute is perfect for superb mileage (if I were to simply travel back and forth on that route.. say... 3 round trips, my average would be 3.9L/100km).

Once I go anywhere else (downtown, to Richmond, to Burnaby etc), my mileage will rise to the high 4s. And yes, short trips kill my mileage. I can lose 0.5L/100km easily just with one day worth of short trips.

I'm at 4.8L/100km right now with the grill blocked and at 600kms with 1 bar left.

I have the EV mod but I only use it when the engine is running and I know it would be off if it's warm enough (only b/c I have a 4km highway sprint at 80km/h to let the engine warm up).

Yeah, my heater usually isn't running until the engine's warm. I'll glady keep my jacket on if my engine isn't idling at the traffic light.