1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HOWTO: Resetting the Oil Maintenance Required indicator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mr. Bill, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Generation III

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're welcome

2. sumguy

sumguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is the reminder hard coded every 5k/10k miles or will it trigger based off last reset? I ask because my oil was changed in March at 9200 miles only because I put very few miles on the car and was running original oil for 1y9mo. The reminder has just started so they either forgot to reset it or it is hard coded at 10k. '
    btw, thanks for the reset info, seems easy to do and easier to forget how.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The US interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months. Cross the border into Canada and the interval is 8000 kilometers (5000 miles) or 6 months.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just changed the oil. It wasn't that hard, but it was more painful than the average car because you have to remove an access panel beneath the oil drain plug, and the oil filter is under the car, next to the oil drain plug. The oil filter can only be removed with a special tool, about $12 from the dealer. In addition, you need five quarts of 0w-20 synthetic oil, a new oil filter with o-ring, and an oil drain plug washer.

Here's how I think it's best done:
    Loosen the lug nuts of a front tire (right front is a little easier, but either works).
    Lift car with a floor jack, and set it down on a jack stand
    Remove the wheel (you're going to rotate it with the rear wheel later on anyway)
    Get under the car and you have to pop off three plastic plugs, then the plastic "hatch" which covers the oil drain plug will tilt down.
    Get a drain pan/bucket under the drain plug and remove it with a 14mm socket. After it drains, its a good idea to jack the car off the jackstand and then lower the car, to fully drain the oil. Put it back on the jackstand, then remove the oil filter, which is designed to drain oil after a turn or two. Like most new cars, the oil filter housing is reused, and you replace only a paper cartridge and a rubber o-ring, which comes with the filter cartridge. After you remove the filter, replace the paper cartridge and o-ring, which is very simple and obvious, then replace the oil filter, replace the oil drain plug (with the new washer), and reassemble the plastic access panel. You can now rotate the tires and ADC the five quarts of oil. Rotate the other two tires (swap front with rear), check the dipstick, and now you're off to the auto parts store to recycle your oil and filter.

Albert R. likes this.
  5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Took me a couple tries to get this to reset correctly.

In addition to the instructions on page one, it is important to hold the power button down for about 7 or 8 seconds while the horizontal progress bar moves to the right. There will be a message reading "Resetting Oil Maintenance Data." Keep the power button depressed until the progress bar is finished and the warning box goes away.

6. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have not experienced the necessity to hold the power button down and mine resets perfectly normal. Never read this before.

Where did you read this was necessary?

Thank you!

7. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I didn't read it. I had to do it. After three failed attempts to ditch the annoying nag screen by just turning the car on while holding the m/km button down, I looked a little longer at the screen and there was a progress bar moving to the right.

Normally, I would just hold the power button for a second to turn the car on and that's what I did the first three tries. It didn't reset and I still got the nag. I found it necessary to hold both buttons a lot longer to display the progress and when that was finished, the next time I turned the car on the nag was gone.

8. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting. To turn my car on normally, I just tap the power button and it comes to life. I dont hold it down for a second.

Thank you!

9. djlen

djlen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One last question......Where is the Scale Indicator?

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just did this yesterday on my 2010 Prius II:
    1) Set trip odometer to display A (not total miles, not miles remaining, but trip display A)
    2) Power off the car
    3) Press the MPH/KPH button on the dash and keep it pressed down
    4) With the MPH/KPH button still held down, press the car's Power button normally, until the car starts. Keep the MPH/KPH button held down.
    5) On the speedometer display, where the "nag" message appears, a Progress Indicator Scale will appear, with a message that says something like "Resetting Maintenance Indicator." Keep MPH/KPH held down until the progress bar completes and goes away.
    6) NOW you can let go of the MPH/KPH button.
    7) Drive the car

Seymour5000 and Albert R. like this.
  11. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting. So it looks like one can hold the mph/km button OR the power button down to complete the progress indicator's thing it does.

To gliderman above, I don't hold the power button down for more than a 1/2 sec to start the car either. Holding it (the power button) down was for the process of resetting the nag screen, as mentioned in this thread.

12. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i don't have
    MPH/Kilometers buton

in my manual its called type a button..a little speedometer/light symbol

that reset sequence don't seem to work

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't forget to set it to Trip A display before powering down and then holding KPH/MPH while powering back up.

I went to reset mine this weekend and forgot the Trip A display first. This is only about the 5th or 6th time I have done this. :mad:

14. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    as i said idon't have KPH/MPH on my button

it don't work

15. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What do the words on this button read?

[​IMG]

16. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you don't believe me!

Attached Files:

• mmmm.jpg
      mmmm.jpg
      File size:
      55.2 KB
      Views:
  17. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What does that button do? What happens when you try it.

18. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lights on instrument panel adjust

19. Jordao

Jordao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 MODEL I have: the Owner's Manual gives the correct way to do this on page 131. I quote:

1. Press the "POWER" switch to the "OFF" mode with the odometer reading shown. 2. Press the "POWER" switch twice to select the "IG-ON" mode while holding down the trip meter reset button.
    Hold down the button for at least 5 seconds. The odometer reading indicates "000000" and the light goes off.

end quote.

Therefore:
    The ODO reading must be showing in the dash (Not Trip A or B. ) before you turn your power off. Then, when you turn the car back on, you need to keep holding down the ODO (reset) button (Not the KM/Mph button) until the reading in the dashboard goes to, in my car ----- sequentially till the Maint Req'd light goes off. Then you're done.

20. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    so we don't go for oil change until the indicator light shows up ?