1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HOWTO: Resetting the Oil Maintenance Required indicator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mr. Bill, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Jordao

Jordao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on the type of conditions you drive in (dusty, cold, cruddy - what part of Canada, that is) I think their recommendation is 3 to 5 thousand miles. I think the light comes on every 5K. The best investment you can make in your car's engine longevity is regular oil changes. Do it yourself, it'll cost under $10 (both Canadian or US... except for your taxes... yikes.)

2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can if you want to. :D

The point of this thread is how to turn the nag reminder off completely so it won't display every time you turn the car on. The 2010 GenIII was originally programmed to display the nag screen beginning about 5,000 miles following a dealer oil change reset. Since the current oil change interval is now 10,000 miles, and with apparently no way to reset the car's firmware to a 10,000 mile reminder interval, drivers won't go nutz seeing the da##ned nag thing 5,000 miles prematurely.

I had the 15K oil change just today. I won't have the dealer do another change until 25K miles, and by then the warranty will have expired. I use 0W20 synth.

3. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Mr. Bill!

4. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It takes up too much ink?

5. rctech

rctech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know old post, but jut some observations.
    No the "Trip A" does not get reset to zero.

I also note that you do not have to actually start the car (i.e. foot can be off the brake).
    From TripA mode and Off... Just tapping the START button twice (like turning on accessory mode),
    while holding down the mph/km button is good enuf to initiate the zeroing.

rich

IronWaffle likes this.
  6. Dale Osterling

Dale Osterling New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thank you, it worked. Like others, I put a copy in my glove compartment. Dale

7. jfrandson

jfrandson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey everyone. So far the dealer is a little stymied by this one, so just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem:
    I brought my 2013 (series four) prius with nav into the dealer and had the maint done. They were unable to reset the service required indicator (following the typical procedure below). They told me to come back and have them hook it up to the computer to figure out what was wrong. When I brought it back, they tried to reset it again and suddenly it worked, without doing anything differently. Fast forward, I just had maintenance again. Again they cannot get the maint required indicator to turn off. So weird. Anyone heard of anything like this.

Jared.

8. compac

compac PSU, Metallic Blue Ribbon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I always have the reg odometer showing when doing the Oil mait required reset, and follow the above info with door closed pwr off foot on break.
    , ... locate the MPH/Kilometers button on the dashboard. Press and hold down and then restart the car by pushing the power on button (hold both buttons down at the same time - when the scale is re-set, let go of both buttons)

9. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You forgot the steps to raise your left front paw, tap you right rear paw, whistle Dixie, and blink 3 times.

Thanks as this came in handy on a trip.

10. Brenda A

Brenda A New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My MAINT REQD light will not shut off, despite using the technique/process outlined in Mr. Bill's instruction above.
    I took my Prius to Firestone for an oil change and they weren't able to get it to shut off either.
    Perhaps I need to check the oil level next? I've made multiple attempts to follow the owners manual instructions and Mr. Bill's instructions.
    Something is amiss.... any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!! This is my 3rd prius...never had this come up before.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! you're in the gen III thread with a 2009, do you have the correct o/m? and yes, checking the oil level is always a good idea, although low oil doesn't throw the maint. req'd message.

one thing someone mentioned, there is a mait. menu in the mfd which has a calendar that can be set. i think it brings up a different reminder than the programmed one though.

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For your car (09 Prius) you have to do this.

Press start button until car turns the ignition on
    Make sure the odometer displays "ODO" NOT TRIP
    Press and hold the ODO trip reset button in
    press start button until car turns off
    press start button until car turns back to ON
    Hold the ODO button in until all the flashing lines on the odometer go away and the mileage returns and the maint reset light stops flashing

1) Confirm that your Odometer is set to "odometer" (ie. NOT to Trip A or Trip B)
    2) Start with the car off.
    3) Press and hold the ODO button...don't release it until the process is complete
    4) put the car in either Ignition On (2 presses of power button without pressing the brake) or Ready (one push with foot on brake).
    5) Watch the area where the odometer reading shows up...it will show zeros that become dashes, then flashes to the regular odometer reading. Once you see that you can release the odo button and turn off the car.

This will reset the maint req. light which will flash on briefly in 4500 miles and come on and stay on in 5000 miles.

13. Rick Knowlton

Rick Knowlton New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think this was already posted somewhere, but it couldn't hurt to reiterate it.
    Just did my 2015 P 3 @ 3700 miles, Mr. Bills tip worked perfect, but just wanted to add i did not have to start the car while holding down the MPH-Km/h button, only hitting the start button twice (without foot on brake)

Rick

DogDaze likes this.
  14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've tried both ways, foot-on-brake and not. Both worked, I think, but foot-not-on-brake yielded clearer confirmation of success in the display. The instructions in my manual are ambiguous on that question.

DogDaze likes this.
  15. joedirtae09

joedirtae09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great thread!

16. PaulD

PaulD Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just did this for the first time on my 2010, and did it according to the way I interpreted Bills instructions, and it didn't work.

I would add a couple items for clarification:

You don't have to have the brake pedal depressed.

When you have the mph/km button depressed, press the power button TWICE.

ETP likes this.
  17. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You have to tap Dixie with your left foot and use your left hand only.

18. compac

compac PSU, Metallic Blue Ribbon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I always have the reg odometer showing when doing the Oil mait required reset, and follow the info with door closed pwr off foot on break.
    , ... locate the MPH/Kilometers button on the dashboard.
    Press and hold down and then restart the car by pushing the power on button (hold both buttons down at the same time - when the scale is fully re-set, let go of both buttons)

19. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    can this be set/changed to come on every 10k miles rather than 5k miles??

20. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For some reason it can't be changed to 10k. The 5k reminder is to take it in for tire rotation and check everything else.