1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HPS short arm air intake with K&N low restriction filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Georgina Rudkus, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some of us need to be seen in our car driving.

Starship16 likes this.
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Less restriction gives better throttle response and quicker acceleration. Since the MAF sensor accommodates the faster air flow, the resultant volume might be the same. The same thing happens in a turbo, but at a much greater extent.

Other cars on the highway are surprised that a hybrid makes a roaring sound under rapid acceleration.

The mount that my friend made, securely attaches to the M6x1 captive nuts that were used to mount the air filter box.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It lets in more air and lowers the manifold vacuum, neither of which is necessarily a good thing.
    It also lets in more DIRT.

Because of the VROOM noise from the intake, it makes you think you have more power.
    Without a before and after dyno run, that claim is very suspect.

Modifications based or racing applications often make street cars run WORSE and not better.

Grit and Starship16 like this.
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't get it. How does adding restrictions on the air intake help with power, efficiency and performance?

The ECU controls the vacuum in the intake. It would be an issue, maybe, in the days of carburetors, but not likely in modern electronically controlled air, fuel and mixture systems.

Simtronic, James Powers and audiodave like this.
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I want one!

And I will remove the hood, and drive around so everybody can SEE it. :D

And I also want a custom exhaust with a "growl." ;)

Varooooooommm!

PWR mode, baby!

photo 5.JPG

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There's a couple of british guys on youtube that would do crazy mods and do before and after test dyno runs. My favorite is when they forced feed very very cold air directly into the an intake, no gains with forced cold air.

I agree, more air means less dense pleats equals more larger particle dirt. But then again people resell their cars so this won't matter to them, some of us will drive our prius to the ground so destructive changes matter.

Brabus82 likes this.
  8. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if the HPS intake will fit the 2016+ Gen 3 Prius. If the intake throttle is located in the same place, it might fit. There seems to be enough space under the hood and the Gen 3 Pruis uses the same form factor in the 2Zr engine, The MAF sensor is likely to be in the same place as well as the air breather tube.

9. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the info Georgina, but I was just kidding. My Gen4 is quick enough, very good acceleration for my needs.
    But it does look cool on your engine. :)

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  10. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are looking at this backwards.

The entire propulsion system was designed and built AS AN INTEGRATED SYSTEM.

The computers can compensate for differences that are introduced only within a fairly narrow range.......and when it does "compensate" that might not result in better "power, efficiency or performance".

Nothing in the design purposely ADDS restriction to the intake.
    But what naturally occurs when other requirements are met is then integrated into the overall design.

A single "Bolt on" modification is seldom really a good idea with modern engines.

Starship16 likes this.
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    True statement, whether air coming from the intake is too much coming in to manifold, too little, too hot, or too cold, the computer will make adjustments to the amount of fuel also and everything else during the combustion stage to ensure output performance is consistent. Had the prius engine not be a modern engine, various intake volume of air would change engine performance.

Starship16 likes this.
  12. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Still, it's like breathing through a filter mask. It's easier with the least restrictive filter mask. The same goes for restrictive exhaust. The engine is basically a piston pump. The more restrictive the intake; the harder the pump has to work.

Low restriction intakes and exhaust are not there to make noise. On the hand, noise cancelling intakes and mufflers restrict air flow and engine efficiency. The benefit might even a little bit of power gain, performance and gas mileage.

Toyota has to go for noise reduction simply because customers sometimes equate human feelings of judgement for mechanical efficiency. It's like putting a sound and heat trapping insulation blanket on an AC compressor to please a homeowner.

Take the clogged filter or the clogged fan on the hybrid battery. To a certain extent, the circuit will compensate. But, we all know that it cools the HV battery better if it is clean.

#32 Georgina Rudkus, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    audiodave likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, but I'm sceptical.

douglasjre and Grit like this.
  14. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That's fine. Removal of all those plastic parts frees the engine compartment of so much space that it harkens back to the days of cars of the 1960's.

Also, the resonator and the filter box often becomes a mouse nesting place as does the cabin filter housing.

I don't see a mouse chewing out the steel mesh screen of the K&N filter to get in.

Brabus82 likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I agree about the mouse hotel. I put a 1/4" mesh barrier over the air snorkel inlet after reading here about a mouse taking up residence lol.

16. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    But.... How do we keep CATS out of the engine??? And the resulting "cat poop." :LOL: Maybe he crawled up in there to get my mice. Maybe I should thank him.

I'd like Georgina to work on my Prius. :) I'd trust her more than the dealer mechanics. I'm seeing more females working in auto shops.

#36 Starship16, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  17. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you show some more detailed pics of the oil catch can bracket? I bought the HPS intake so I can put my catch can in the same location.

18. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a photo of the install of a kit that I sent to a friend it Florida. The bracket is made of 16ga 1/2 inch wide stainless steel strap. The OCC mounts to the "z" strap using the two supplied bolts. They were too long and had to be cut shorter. A stainless steel M6 rivet nut is installed to the top of the "z" strap. A second strap is fastened to the top of the "z" strap with a M6 x 1.0x10 flange bolt. The "z" strap and the second top straps are fastened with M6x1.0x10mm flange bolts to existing threaded holes on the EGR bracket and the intake manifold.

Two sections of 3/8" fuel hose were connected with "Corbin" type spring clamps. The OEM PCV hose was disconnected but not cut and connected to a coupling that I machined from aluminum to connect the OCC.

I have attached a photo of his install, which he did with little effort. Steves OCC.jpg

19. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I like how you used the factory hose without cutting it. Is the can pretty secure with that mounting system? I was going to get all fancy with an aluminum sheet and hit all three air box mounting points. However, yours looks like a fairly simple, yet functional setup.

20. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very nicely done. I also like the location of the OCC.