1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HSD Powerpoint Presentation

Discussion in 'The File Library' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 30, 2005.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm a proud member of Toastmasters International. In fact, I'm the President of our local club.

For those who don't know, the Toastmasters program has ten speeches spanning various speaking skills. I recently delivered my "Getting Comfortable with Visual Aids" speech. Because I write educational materials and used to be a full-time instructor, I decided to make a Powerpoint presentation. And because it's a good idea to talk about what you're familiar with, I chose the Hybrid Synergy Drive.

And now I've decided to share with all of you. If you ever need or want to deliver a speech about HSD, feel free to use this. There are a few notes for each slide that you can use, discard, or reference.

Warning: There's a lot of animation. I love animation if done well. And I hope that once you watch this presentation you'll think it was done well. But - and this is important - make sure you know what the things doing before you move or delete it.

P.S. I just realized that some of the animation I used doesn't work in versions of Powerpoint other than Office 2003. Sorry.

2. Gen2

Gen2 Member

Thanks, I think you did an excellent job. I saved it to show to family and friends.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very informative! Yes, I like those animations. I still remember the time we had some animations on our PP XP presentation only to find all of them didn't work in school cause their PP XP is the version/build below ours =S

4. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Tony that was superbly done.

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey, thanks guys. I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope that if you ever need to explain HSD you might consider using it.

The speech I delivered had a 7 minute time limit. This really hindered the amount of information I could deliver. So it's easy for someone who knows a lot about the Prius to find details missing (for example, two bars do not turn purple). But the people I presented to seriously had no idea how the whole thing works. For them, this was the perfect blend of in depth explination without overwhelming detail.

Also, it has been pointed out to me that near the end of the presentation I have the word "costing" which should be "coasting". If you have already downloaded the file and think you might show it to others, please fix that typo lest they will think you did it. I have already fixed it and changed the attachment so all future downloads should be correct.

6. TonyLu

TonyLu New Member

Well done. Thank you very much.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That was very well done, Tony. Thanks so much for sharing it.

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was checking this over on my wife's computer last night and realized that the animations are part of PowerpointXP and 2003. Her version of Pp98(?) was unable to perform the graphics and stuff. So I just saved it as a Powerpoint Show which should be a self-contained presentation. I would test it but of course it's going to work on my computer.

I would really appreciate it if someone who doesn't have Office XP or 2003 would download this PPS file and try it on their computer. THANKS.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Works OK on Keynote. Actually very nice. Sorry about the Keynote crack. Well actually not but Steve made me say it.

10. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've seen one presentation done in keynote. "Impressive" to say the least.

Thanks for checking.

11. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Nice presentation, Tony! One other small typo is "effects" should be "affects". It looks nice in OpenOffice (the *free* open-source office suite).

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

using office 97... works fine...like your animation on "increased load" and stuff...(although, looks like your Prius may have suffered a little front end damage on the hill... :p )

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So it's not rotating the image up the hill? That's what I was concerned with.

When you import an image into PpXP and then rotate it, viewing that image in Pp97 does not show the rotation. That's what I suspect you are seeing. There are also animation things XP supports that 97 does not; I will rework them.

I will import the presentation into Pp97 and publish another version.

Thanks for the verification.

14. kaizen

kaizen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It works perfectly under Mac OSX. Thanks for sharing this with us.

15. chinook-hybrid

chinook-hybrid New Member

Tony, very well done. Thank you for your permission to share this with friends and family. Great job!!

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually it is rotating. its just the first position that has the front end into the hill a little. . after that, it does fine. then again, it could be my setup...might need an update or 2... i do know that office 97 had at least 2 service packs and im sure i have those...

17. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Tested on a Mac with PowerPoint for the Mac 2004, and Keynote. Both work just fine.

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'll second that it looks fine even in my older version of OpenOffice.org.