1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HSD with tiptronic sequential manual shift mode?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Dolce_Vita, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed that the new generation GS450h has a sequential manual shift mode on it's transmission?

Here's a photo of what i'm talking about...
    IAA 2011: Lexus GS 350 & GS 450h

Does anybody know how this would work on a full hybrid? IMO this is a huge step forward for HSD, in any automatic car with a tiptronic mode, i use it and i really notice how boring automatic cars without it are...

I think introducing a tiptronic mode into the CT200h and Prius would really improve their 'fun factor'.

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

old GS450h and current RX450h also have it, nobody talks about it :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never noticed :s although i havent driven a lexus :p Does it work like tiptronic on any other automatic? And does it force the ICE to run constantly?

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive]Hybrid Synergy Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    The manual shifter may control that ratio, or it acts like a tiptronic on a CVT, and gives the illusion of gears.

These systems may make driving more fun, but with the computer ability to override driver input, they aren't give any noticable change in performance. And CVTs are in theory already using the most efficient gear ratio for getting demanded power to the wheels. I would think such a system would hurt economy. As a friend once said, "They're for when people are feeling frisky."

Note: I'm note talking about double clutch automatics. Just step transmissions and CVTs that the driver can interact with like a manual.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As Trollbait has explained, the HSD is fully computer controlled. Adding manual override control would be trivial, but not especially useful. Basically it would be a toy: fun to play with, but not an improvement.

Tom

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is a step backward to make it fun the old way. It is something to play with when you get tired of the jet-smooth acceleration.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yup, a step backward. What gears? Shifting? Nonsense! But if you feel it necessary to play while you drive, go ahead. Don't let reality get in the way. ;)

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i have driven S-CVT in manual mode, and it works great... i have no idea how it work on Lexus Hybrids.

However, once again, in S-CVT, it works awesome and when you are trying to drive fast, it is much preferred to the auto mode. Before trying it out, i thought that simulated gears are non-sense, but not anymore :)

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That observation does not apply to the HSD in the Prius. Being a fixed gear ratio electrical power split device there can be no advantage using manual shifting. It would only be for fun.

Tom

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But are the simulated gears actually needed? I imagine a simple button for a sport mode would have given all the performance improvement one could ask for. Just switching to a different 'shift' map would also have been cheaper to implement without needing a different shifter or paddles, and the need to program steps into the map.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Some people like to be jerked around.

12. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The RX450h has a "6speed" regen for hill decent. I made a post about it last winter I think. Never been used. You would have to be fully loaded with trailer on a long steep hill to need it from my experience.

13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you want to nearly instantly adjust the power to the wheels, as in during max cornering, having a pseudo fixed gear ratio helps a lot. If you are doing serious performance driving on a twisty road you also want control over when a transmission shifts, so paddles or other means of controlling the transmission are highly desirable. None of that matters to well over 99% of Prius drivers, but as you get into vehicles of a more sporting nature that might actually do an occasional track day, it's important.

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    None of this applies to the Prius HSD. With the Prius, if you want to instantly adjust the power to the wheels, you move your foot on the accelerator pedal. Power with the Prius is adjusted by changing field currents, not shifting gears, manually or otherwise.

Tom

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't need a track day, but I've got a lot of twisties on hill on the way to the lake. Having more control via a virtual transmission would be nice. That way I wouldn't have to hit the brakes nearly as much, and have a more positive feeling in turns. I had a manumatic before on a lex gs and this was the main time I shifted gears on that.

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It takes over a full second for the full power to the wheels to be achieved when you mash the throttle to the floor in a Prius while you are going down the road at a steady speed. You don't have full power until the engine gets up to max revs and that takes over a second. Time it.

1 person likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If those are priorities, then wouldn't you be better served with an actual standard transmission? Those with the desire can even rival a Prius' fuel economy rating in the real world. It had its flaws, but the original Insight with manual is still the absolute mpg champ.

18. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, for the price of some extra software and a couple of switches an automatic transmission can be tamed to behave the way you want it to behave as a performance transmission the small percentage of the I want a performance transmission and still be a normal full automatic the rest of the time.

19. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the info :)

I dont so much use tiptronic modes for the performance (although dual clutch automated manuals work far better in manual mode IMO), more for simple entertainment behind the wheel and to short shift to keep revs low. I want it on a Prius more for the engine braking side of things. If there was a tiptronic mode on a Prius it could replace B mode with a whole set of engine braking levels. I personally also have a theory that if a Prius looses traction and the highly, highly annoying traction control stalls the car, shifting into an artificial second gear just before it looses traction could work around this? On my daily commute i have a right hand turn, on a gravelly corner, onto a 30mph road with very fast paced traffic, the amount of times i've almost been hit because of traction control is scary, yet if i go too slowly into the corner it's also dangerous. So by me flooring it, to overcome the 1 second lapse in power of HSD, it causes the traction control to then cut power delivery & i'm lef stranded. Not fun :p

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

there is an sport mode in S-CVT, but car does not know what you are doing or trying to do... it doesnt know where is the curve or where you need the power. when driving fast through bends, ability to downshift to increase engine drag is important.

it also makes it feel normal, which is very important for an regular CVT.

Again, I have never tried it for regular HSD or anything, but for Toyota's S-CVT, it changed my perception completely. I have no idea how it is implemented in CT200h in Japan, or RXh and GSh... but hopefully this new 2012 GS450h works as well as it does in Avensis I tried.