1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HSI and LKA/DRCC

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nparker13, Aug 11, 2009.

1. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I am totally addicted to DRCC. I have found on all types of roads, at speeds above 30 MPH that the following distances and reactoins of the DRCC are great. Of course if I were behind a "pulse and glide" driver, my DRCC would be turned off!

As far as safety goes, I am convinced that the millisecond response time of the DRCC has an edge on me. the DRCC is watching the road in front of me 100% of the time. I'm sometimes distracted for a second or two. Two computers watching the road and working the brakes is way better than one. Especially if that one is me.

DRCC and LKA feel like the first (lawyer-restricted) step toward auto auto-pilot.

2. osiris12

osiris12 Owner of 3, yes three priuses

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just received my 2010 V a few weeks ago and love using the DRCC and LKA. It is an added benefit when driving in traffic. It is nice having a diligent co-pilot watching the road ahead for me.

I can confirm it does break for you when the traffic comes to a stop. So, am is it safe to say that the brake lights come on in the back?

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The next step toward safer autoranging will probably need some
    sort of communication and protocol that vehicles on either end
    of a gap both participate in, agreeing on a distance and making
    sure they stay in continual contact so that warnings can rapidly
    pass back up the line. Depending on the following vehicle to
    do everything will just never cut it as an "autopilot" component.
    _H*

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Something like this? -

Texas to be U.S. transportation testing ground | Cutting Edge - CNET News

Texas is about to become IBM's test subject for a series of telematics transportation technologies with the blessing the U.S. Department of Transportation.

5. osiris12

osiris12 Owner of 3, yes three priuses

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So, when the DRCC brakes, does the rear lights come on? How can I tell from within the cockpit.

I think I feel them applying but not sure.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Have someone follow you then tell you :D

7. HybridPastor

HybridPastor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Back to the OP's original question. While using the DRCC, I set the HSI in the HUD (one of three choices in the HUD display). Interestingly, this way I found the DRCC actually does pulse and glide quite well in even slightly hilly territory. I managed (or maybe more correctly, the DRCC managed) 52.3 mpg on a recent 1000+ mile trip from New Haven to Minneapolis and back. The DRCC is exceptionally well programmed. I did find that in heavier traffic I had to reduce the tracking distance to 2 bars to keep folks from "tucking in." But even then, the system would detect the new target and slow (or brake) as needed to regain tracking distance. When traffic would slow to 45 or so during (seemingly unending) I-80 lane closures, the system would slow down and keep distance well, especially as the the speed of the single lane "pulsed" and finally resumed when the construction zone ended. I think the DRCC taught me how to be a better driver. On the other hand, for me, the LKA is another issue entirely, really of no use whatsoever. I don't like a machine tugging at my steering wheel....