1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HSI bar "analysis"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by pakitt, Apr 16, 2011.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So - I have always been intrigued by all this ECO/Normal/PWR mode thing, gas pedal mapping and how this reflects to the HSI bar.
    More gasoline was put into the fire, when I heard that apparently the Lexs CT200h will allow 650V on the motor, when Sport mode is set. Since I am a firm believer that Toyota/Lexus will not change the software for the same drivetrain (never change something that works) and since 650V are also the same voltage on the motor in the Prius, I was wondering:

1) does the length of the bar change "meaning" in different modes (with obviously full up to the PWR area delivering *all* of the power available from the HSD)?

2) does the length of the bar spring up more or less quickly in the different modes? or better said - will PWR mode mean you end up in the PWR area faster with reduce gas pedal pressure? if so why? (I mean, you are in PWR mode - why psychologically have drivers think they are consuming more by being the PWR area continuously when clearly, I chose PWR, so I don't want to save fuel!).

3) the mode changes mapping of the gas pedal, but not just that - apart from the A/C being less "aggressive" in summer and winter, PWR mode will keep the ICE on when releasing the gas - it happened to me a lot of times - it seems as if the HSD is leaving it on to provide quicker response when pressing the gas pedal again, while at the same time charging further the HV battery for the extra kick when accelerating; the ICE simply does not turn off as often as in ECO mode; so - does the engine management change with increasing pedal request? (more voltage on the MG2, valve timing change, more current form the HV battery, etc).

3a) does the Prius drive normally at 500V and will enable 650V only at particular gas pedal ranges to enable more torque (or power) on the electric engine? does the selected mode change when the 650V are available?

Based on all the above, my 15 months long observations, comments on PC, and simple and likely down-right wrong assumptions, I came up with the following table and chart - attached.

Notes:
    - columns B/D are arbitrary values I assigned to make the curves look as posted on other threads here about the gas pedal mapping; colum C "normal mode" is linear - plain&simple.

- HV Max voltage - pure speculation - I started by assuming that in normal you have to end up in PWR area at 70% of gas pedal pressure

- 125% is the max request to obtain the 100% output from the HSD - the extra 25% is to take care of the PWR area in the display - it has nothing to do with the overall output power and to assign 100% for a full, albeit still green 100% bar

- the 100% area will be reached - pure speculation and some personal experience but not backed up by data - at 90%/80%/60% gas pedal pressure respectively in ECO/Normal/PWR mode

- the formula to calculate values in columns H/I/J is the same and arbitrarily set as ="(Output*HV Max)/(650*80)

- in the chart, when 100% is exceeded, HSI PWR area lits up, to the max 125% HSI bar length = 100% HSD output

Comments are welcome - it might be all wrong (likely) - it might be OK, but clearly needs a lot of polishing and data: work in progress!!! (PS: I don't have a Scangauge!)
    What are your experiences on how the HSI bar behaves in the different modes? does it react the same (proportionately to gas pedal pressure and mapping)?

Come and hit me!

Attached Files: