1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HSI battery icon?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by LDB, Sep 17, 2015.

1. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does the HSI battery icon never go below 2 marks and never go above 6? It seems so far as if the 4 central marks are the only ones that turn on or off. Just curious if I can ever expect any activity from the 2 at each end.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have seen ours go up to 8 bars, but that was coming down the side of a mountain in Colorado and the ICE was singing up a storm bleeding off the excess energy while using "B" mode. The system is designed to keep it between 2 and 6 bars which is 40 to 80% of total capacity. The theory behind it is by not allowing full charge or depletion will make the battery last longer.

Don't be surprised if you see the battery drop down if you are using A/C and gliding a lot at low speeds.

3. Cloude1

Cloude1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From my experience with my Gen 2, if it shows one bar on morning start ups, you will have a Battery problem within the next 6 months or so.

4. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine is a new 2015 so hopefully no battery problems for a decade or so. I just wondered if I'd ever see it completely fill all 8 bars on the battery icon.

5. Cloude1

Cloude1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It'll be fine. To see 8 bars find a mountain you can drive down, that'll do it.
    My 2010 Gen 3 got to 8 today. On holidays and drove over a few mountains.

6. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine drops to 2 often, but might be my driving, never drops at all over night have almost 100k on her

7. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Should not go below 2 bars. Can be completely full, but not from regular driving...I think the system's made to start and stop charging from operation of the ICE between the 2 and 6 bar range. It'll max if there's a long run of regenerative braking because it will regen until it maxes the battery.

I don't recall seeing it go to max while doing highway driving (with the ICE always on) without a long downhill run that involved regen braking kicking in.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't believe the battery terminals get filled. As mentioned. the sure way to see a full battery is to go down the mountain. If there is enough decent or a high enough state of charge at the top you'll also hear the engine spin up to dissipate the extra energy.

It is possible to get a full battery on flatter terrain but it is rare. I've seen it a couple times.