1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HU Upgrade w/ SAT. Possible?...Newbie

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Time2Go, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Time2Go

Time2Go New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

This is my first post, so please bare with me as I'm learning.....

On January 7,2013 I became the proud owner of a 2011 Prius Gen III!!! I actually gave up my Lexus 450h to get it. So far, I think its the best decision I've made this year :)

Nevertheless, I have a non-JBL HU and although I've been diligent at searching the boards, I have a question that I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to answer.

I MOST DEFINITELY will be installing a new HU on my Prius, but I'd like to know if there are any HU's that provide:
    Satellite & Navigation along with other stereo features.

I need my satellite badly, so I'm interested to hear how other owners have gone about upgrading their systems to include satellite radio. AND please feel free to make product recommendations!

Thanks!

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is what I did to my 2010 Prius II. Essentially the same as the 2011 "II" though connector pin numbers may be different. Satellite is an added module but digital in part of the newer HU's.

frodoz Stereo Upgrade | PriusChat

3. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
  5. Time2Go

Time2Go New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You will need a surround trim piece. Metra and Scosche offer the most economical solutions, however they are poor quality cheap painted pieces with mat finish. Toyota P/N 55406-47080 cost more, matches the color and texture exactly, but requires side fillers (easy). The HU is compatible with your speakers electrically, but remember they are cheap paper cones. Your SAT antenna needs clear exposure. Placed mine upper dash, forward center between the defrost vents and have no issues with reception. Best wishes.

7. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you haven't done anything yet you might want to think about putting a tablet in there instead. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" fits. There's a place that also makes something for ipads where you can slide it in and out so you can take it out of the car. It looked like it was a 10".

Galaxy Tab in an Alfa Romeo: Galaxy TAB in car (Alfa Romeo MiTo) ← Mittelmedia labs

iPad in a Prius: