1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sold Hubcaps / Wheel Covers - 15" - off of a 2011 Prius (Free + shipping)

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by UoD, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've got a set of four hubcaps / wheel covers that I had pulled off of my 2011 Prius a long time ago. They have been stored in my garage ever since. They are pretty good condition, with the exception of a few scratches here and there. The close up photos show most of the bad scratches.

These are free -- you just need to pay whatever the shipping cost it. Paypal accepted.

Attached Files:

#1 UoD, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was thinking about a set of hub-caps for the winter steelies I just put on my 2009 Gen II Prius, and found these on-line: Hubcaps Plus After Market Parts and Accessories For Cars, Trucks and SUVs: Set of Four Universal 15 inch Hubcaps - Wheel Covers With a Silver Finish
    - so, looking at the price you're asking, and the price at which I can get them from HubcapsPlus (with free shipping to CONUS), I'm wondering if perhaps you might be asking rather a lot :confused: - I don't want to rain on your parade, but there it is! Anyway, welcome to PriusChat, and good luck in your venture! - Wil

3. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had no idea what to ask for these to be honest. The ones you linked are generic covers (and, ugly to be honest :) ).

Edited Price : FREE, you just have to pay for shipping

#3 UoD, Nov 20, 2015
  4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let me think about that, and thanks for the reply - BTW the generics don't have the holes for the lug-nuts to poke through. My Gen II has the touring trim (16" alloy rims) for the summer, and the lug-nuts for the alloys are blind, but the ones supplied and recommended to be used with the steel rims are open, and so the threads are exposed to all sorts of salt/moisture/gunk from the road, not that it really matters, but I de-hub-capped my old Corolla DX Wagon (thought it looked nicer) and noticed that the studs and wheel centres acquired quite a coating of rust! :eek: Anyway, thanks again for the reply, and I'll get back to you soon - Wil

BTW the original ones I was thinking of ordering are these: http://www.wheelskin.com/8823-15u.html
    (the ones in the link I posted were different)

5. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sound good. Don't hesitate to make an offer. I kind of just want these out of my garage.

6. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Free -- you just need to pay for shipping on these

#6 UoD, Nov 24, 2015
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @WillDavis: I've been trying to nudge my snow tires on Corolla steel rims into more decent look. First I capped the hubs with 2" ABS end caps. I pushed a "rubber band" cut from a bicycle inner tube over the center hub on the rim, then sorta "screwed" the end cap down onto it, then pushed it the rest of the way.

I've also been toying with getting some chromed (or anodized black) acorn nuts, but so far held off. This morning I put just a hint of wax/oil rustproofing oil on the tip of each stud, then toothbrushed it around. Very sparing, don't want it migrating when the wheel rotates.

Better pic uploaded:

image.jpeg

#7 Mendel Leisk, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, it's very frustrating trying to find centre caps. Honda steel rims have a higher centre lip, with a bit of of a groove I think. Back in the 'eighties the rims were silver (hey, why not), and you got these nice chromed steel caps that tapped down onto them. There was 3 or 4 dimples around the inside of the cap, sort of an interference fit, tensioned the whole thing.

Anyway, those 2" ABS caps (inside diameter is 2.375") have worked well so far. Been on for about 3 weeks with varied driving, look solid. On the front rims they bottom out on the end of the protruding axle just before touching down, but still seem to work fine, and look ok.

10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought I was the only person to use old inner-tubes to make customised rubber-bands! :notworthy: I see in your post you mentioned "nudging" your snow boots onto Corolla rims, does that mean you remove and fit tyres every season? I was curious as the main reason that I have a set of winter rims is that doing to avoids multiple removals and tyre fittings (and balancing) as each time that occurs, it put great strain on the tyres' beads which can easily get damaged over time, as well as the need to re-balance each time the tyre is removed. What is the source of your ABS caps, please? - Wil

11. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update --- these are free to anyone that wants them. You would just need to pay for shipping.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi Will. I have two complete sets of wheels/tires. The OEM 17" rims with Michelin Pilots, and for winter the 15" Corolla steel rims with MIchelin X-Ice2. Traditional, no tire remounting.

The ABS caps are widely available, at Home Depot or wherever. Google "home depot 2" abs permanent cap" for instance, will find this:

2 in. ABS DWV Cap-C5817HD2 - The Home Depot

The caps continue to stay on fine. This is with Corolla steel rims, with the center hub opening just the right size for the hub. The rubber band is needed, without that they'd be slightly loose.

13. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many thanks for the information. I just visited my local HomeBoy Despot, and found they didn't have the black ABS caps you talked about, however they had some white caps which looked fairly similar to yours, however when I tried them, found their inside diameter to be about ¼" too small, so I went on-line, and have ordered the black caps - so we'll have to wait and see if these fit! The steelies I have look very similar to yours. Thanks again for the useful information! - Wil

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your rims are generic? The hub centers will be different than Corolla I'm sure, larger, one size fits all. That kinda skipped my mind. FWIW, corolla rims are a near perfect fit with 2" ABS cap. The ABS pipe has ID of 2", and OD ;of 2.375", and the end cap correspondingly has ID of 2.375".

The other wrinkle is even though the caps have decent height, the front axle shaft protrudes enough to JUST bump it a bit, but not enough to dislodge it, at least with our case. It's maybe 1/16" gap because of this.

Still, I think you're having generic rims will be a deal breaker, the ABS caps won't work, and likely next size up is too big. Get a caliper, check the OD of the rim center lip. Also, it should have some height, the more the better.

15. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got the steelies from TireRack.com, and they look to be a nice fit and I think TireRack wouldn't have recommended them if they're not been a good/perfect fit, but I take your point, and I'll dig out my calipers and take it from there. If the new ones are not the right size, at least I'll be able to return them. The rear hub-centres are pretty well sealed, but the fronts have a large nut & split-pin all exposed, and I hate the thought of salt, water, and all manner of road-crud getting in there!:eek: We'll see…

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I ran our snows without any covers for 5 winters, and they look like heck. I finally dealt with them a bit while a had the wheels off, with a wire wheel and brushes, then some wax/oil proterant, a bit better.

17. Laura cuevas

Laura cuevas New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco

18. Laura cuevas

Laura cuevas New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Are these still available? If so I’m interested.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @UoD's was last on the site in January 2017, I wouldn't hold out much hope. Check EBay?

20. Beth M

Beth M New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Still available? Interested, very much. Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.