1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Huber Optik ceramic tint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tadashi, May 21, 2005.

1. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have you checked celphone reception in the rear seats? There's been reports the metal cuts down on celphone reception in the back for any usage there. Take it as a good or bad. :)

2. HybridVigor

HybridVigor New Member

Tinting

ryogajyc: No worries! Happy to add another data point to the list in case someone else out there has questions about using Huper Optik Drei.

Nushrike: As far as cell phone signal attenuation in the back seat goes (or GPS for that matter) I'll try to remember to check today on my way into work. My guess is that I'll notice a 25-50% decrease in both signals, but who knows? More to follow in a couple of hours, if my short-term memory proves functional.

Mods: Could the title for this thread be renamed appropriately from Huber Optik to Huper Optik?

----- later edits below-----
    I checked the cell phone signal and in general it seemed strong (5 bars) except when I held it right next to one of the side windows where the strength dropped to 1 bar. I don't know if the signal was previously coming in through the windshield or roof, or whether proximity to the film was the key, but there was strong attenuation at a separation of 3-4 inches when I checked. Elsewhere everything seemed OK. If I find out more, I'll let you know. Didn't remember to check the GPS. (1 out of 2 ain't bad, right?)

3. unique2006

unique2006 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone get it done in Southern california? Specifically the inland empire?

4. huberoptikopinion

huberoptikopinion New Member

I've been having a heck of a time getting my Huper Optik warranty honored, and I've made a surprising discovery. Huper Optik will not deal directly with the end user! They have no customer relations department, but instead hide behind a series of distributors and installers. Now that I have your attention, I can admit that this Huper Optik film is installed on windows in my home, not my car...but there are things you need to know before buying from HO. I don't know how much of this applies to cars, but here is what happened to me. My installer claimed that HO offered an unlimited warranty. After the film was installed, I was given the real warranty, which was extremely limited. When I canceled my check and called the HO contact number on the warranty form -- to complain -- I reached the national distributor. They gave me to the regional distributor, who worked out a new warranty that met somewhere in the middle between what was promised and what was presented. And then the installers still failed to honor it. And the regional distributor keeps trying to change the terms of the contract. And there is no one to complain to, because HO takes not responsibility for their product. And if you have a conflict with one installer there is no alternate business to service the contract because the distributors control the market -- spreading the dealerships far apart to quash competition. Long story short, I've been without replacement film on two windows for more than half a year. The window film business seems to be a murky world, at least as far as HO is concerned. I'd stay far away from this product. :angry:

And BTW, per the posts on ammonia cleaners, the film salesman told me I could clean the windows with anything -- ammonia or even Comet. He said that nothing would hurt them!

5. londo-cat

londo-cat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(propconsumerperson @ Jul 28 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]293972[/snapback]</div>

I NEVER believe anything a salesperson says to me about a product without doing a check on it before I purchase. Sales people tend to lie the second they open thier mouths...

On the HO product, I did happen to contact the company directly, and yes, they only deal directly with distributers since it is a 'commercial' product and while they have a 'consumer' version of thier commercial product, they have professional installers doing the work, thus the need for each shop to be responsible for the work done.

That being said - if you purchase from Joe the Installer and he does a crappy job, HO pushes back on Joe to repair the work.

This can put you in a rather awkward position as the consumer, and as such, be sure that the SHOP you are dealing with has been in business for a long time AND will honor the work on the product.

If the product is truly defective - then ask them what THIER policy is, despite what the company who makes the product and get it in writing.

I had the product installed on 2 back windows of our house, and the installer said that the product, while being a superior product, can have some issues like all tinted products, but gave the guidelines on what was acceptable and what was not.

6. huberoptikopinion

huberoptikopinion New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(londo-cat @ Jul 28 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]294038[/snapback]</div>
    The problem I had in researching this product was that it hasn't (or hadn't been at that time) been used in homes for very long (and it's a high-end choice for film, so is the less common choice), so there was little to go on. A Google search yielded automotive sites, and a few commercial architecture publications. And as for reliable installers, the company that installed it is one of those family-run, been-in-business-a-million-years-so-what-is-your-problem, only-show-in-town companies. They are the sole HO installer within (according to the national distributor) four hours of here. The product itself didn't fail, my glass did. But when the film then needed to be replaced...nothing but foot dragging and idiocy, and lies, lies, lies. And I seem to have no recourse except in court. Ergo, Huper Optik does not honor warranties, because they do not take action when their installers do not honor warranties. The warranty agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on. I have written warranties from the installer, Huper Optik, and a supplemental agreement from the regional distributor in conjunction with HO. They have all proved worthless. And I suspect that when you thought you contacted HO directly you actually got the national distributor -- HOUSA. They purport to be HO until you push them for action. Then they explain that they are "only" the distributor, etc. Sleazy as they come.

7. sbd

sbd New Member

I have the Huper Optik ACHT on my windshield. I have to tell you, I am no stranger to tint and this stuff is amazing! It transmits 80% visible light so you almost can't tell it's there. Night driving is no problem at all. And it is optically great (no waviness or distortion). The rest of my car is tinted with 35% visible light transmission Llumar Ultra Chrome. The Ultra Chrome has the highest IR (infrared/heat) reduction of any of Llumar's 35% or higher visible transmit films at 67% heat reduction. The Huper Optik ACHT, though transmitting FAR more visible light, reduces heat dramatically better. The tint shop made a 4-sided frame box and tinted the 4 panels each with a different film and put an IR heat lamp (like at pizza places warming slices) inside the box facing out toward a panel. As the box rotates and different films come between you and the lamp, their respective heat reductions are clearly illustrated. No need for numbers. You can FEEL the heat. The ACHT eliminated almost all the heat whereas the conventional metal and ceramic films, even as dark as 20% visible transmission, could not come close. I don't know the exact heat reduction number but trust me when I tell you that ACHT is the film of the future. However, it's EXPENSIVE. I tinted every window on my car (except the windshield) professionally with Llumar Ultra Chrome for $255. Then I tinted just the windshield with ACHT (for almost the same price as the rest of the car) at $220. But we as Prius owners are hip to the fact that it's not about money, it's about less CO2/mile. Trust me, your A/C will work a lot less and you know what that translates into! I highly recommend the stuff. Aloha. :)

8. jkandell

jkandell New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst @ Jul 23 2005, 11:15 PM) [snapback]109707[/snapback]</div>

Do all tint samples come with a clear plastic sheet over the adhesive? I notice one of my samples (formulaone pinnacle) can be pried into two sheets (one tinted, one clear), the other (formulaone ultimate) one not sure but it doesn't appear to pry. I admit I'm having trouble seeing any big differences in visibility/glare when I loko through them.