1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Huge Crack in windshield, $1200 quote!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by robAlatte, Sep 12, 2022.

1. robAlatte

robAlatte Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Does this sound right? Some jerk in a truck went around me and threw rocks up which led to a giant crack in the windshield. Quoted $1200 from a reputable installer which I've used before. He said it's because there's a ton of technology in the windshield. I was hoping it would be under $500 but $1200 is super steep yikes.

This is a 2021 Prius Prime Limited

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We have replaced our windshield previously, and it was 100% covered by insurance.

robAlatte likes this.
  3. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Check with your insurance.

robAlatte likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Assuming you have comprehensive coverage that should be a $100-150 deductible, tops.

If you don't have comprehensive, you just found out what it is good for.

robAlatte, MalachyNG and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that sounds about right if using Toyota OEM glass. I think the Limitted trim needs this windshield.
    Part Number: 5610347921

The MSRP of the glass alone is $ 1,002.73.

I had the windshield replaced on my 2017 PP Premium without HUD, ICS, and IPA. The cost was about $1000 total for the glass + installation cost + re-calibration cost. But it was covered 100% by my insurance. I hope you have comprehensive coverage. Even if you don't have the comprehensive or have it with the deductible, some states, and some insurance companies have special provisions on the glass replacement which covers the replacement cost without paying a deductible. Worth checking it out before you pay out of your pocket. Also, make sure that the cost of replacement includes the re-calibration procedure needed for the front-facing camera and maybe for the HUD. This alone performed at a dealer can cost a few hundred dollars.

#5 Salamander_King, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    robAlatte likes this.
  6. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    rob, check the price at Safelite just for comparison. And call your insurance agent or read the fine print in your insurance policy to know where you stand on that. As mentioned above, special glass is needed if your car has the heads up display, and the cameras behind the black housing by your rear view mirror need recalibration, all expensive operations. There may be suitable aftermarket glass available, but probably not many options.

robAlatte likes this.
  7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    And people wonder why I ignore passenger side glass cracks, no sooner do I fix but it’s broken again. Very disappointed that the local glass repair places have gotten so picky on what they will repair with the clear goup

8. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have my estimate, but do think my windshield was over $1,000 last fall when I hit a deer and it got cracked. After installing, they also have to re-calibrate the safety features. Hopefully you're insurance can help!

robAlatte likes this.
  9. Sounds about right. Windshield on mine got chipped about a year ago... but I didn't see anything hit it. Anyway, chip became long crack, and long crack led to the whole windshield replaced. My insurance covered nearly all of the $1000+ cost.

robAlatte likes this.
  10. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Going through insurance, Safelite was a little over $500 for a HUD non-Toyota windshield and everything, insurance was $500 deductible, so insurance paid almost nothing. If you have glass insurance or just comprehensive insurance, you simply pay the deductible, which is usually discounted for the insurance company. If you have a lower deductible, even better.

11. robAlatte

robAlatte Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah my deductible is $1000 so Im just going to pay out of pocket. Ugh.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    $500 for collision and $300 for comprehensive is a better sweet-spot.

13. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The only bad time to review one's insurance coverage is immediately after a loss--know what you have before you need it. So...I buy comprehensive coverage with a $250 deductible but full safety glass coverage. $87 a year for the Prime Advanced from Safeco. Comprehensive is any loss except a crash. I choose $500 deductible for collision. You can choose anything that meets your needs.

Keep in mind that there is no industry standard definition for "full coverage." It is whatever the agent puts into your policy, and it might duplicate other insurance you have or it may leave holes in your coverage. Give "full coverage" a careful review regarding your situation. Also, for older cars, consider dropping some coverages--rule of thumb: if you can write a check for the damages you don't need insurance. And drop coverages for cars in long term storage, just insure them for comp. If they aren't on the road they don't need collision or liability coverage or the other coverages.

Also for older cars that you love, if you have collision coverage and get into a moderate wreck that old car you love will probably be totaled if the cost of repairs is above something like 85% of book value (varies by state). If you buy it back it'll have a branded title of Salvage or whatever your state requires. If you don't have collision insurance and pay for the fix yourself you keep your car with a clean title.

14. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If you get a good installer, they can swap the windshield without realignment. This is good for up to two replacements. After that you have to get it realigned.