1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Huge loss in fuel economy with wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tunerPRIUS, May 6, 2013.

1. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    We're "2 Slo"

dorunron likes this.
  2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will agree on that one. When you are disabled, arthritic, and have to walk with a cane one would be slo... ;) Oh, I almost forgot, I wear bifocals too... :LOL:

Ron

F8L likes this.
  3. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's give him some slack. After all, it looks like his primary objective is for his Prius to look good as his list of preference is narrow. However, he has yet to come to grips (no pun intended) that the incidental bite to the MPG losses he sees may in fact also come from tire choice.

I think and it may be the fact also that since he's so used to driving high-horsepower cars, that he still has a lead foot. I was like that before also at it took time for me to adjust to my current car.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the total miles my household keeps cars, that 'jack squat on gas' for a non-hybrid turns out to be considerably more than the purchase price of the car.

I buy cars for my reasons, not for someone else's demands.

dorunron and uart like this.
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Something that I didn't add to my post is that there's something to be said for the psychological effect of a very low cost to fill vs. a car that's a guzzler in comparison and knowing that one has amongst the most efficient non-plugin vehicles sold in recent times, esp. when driving by gas station.

When I used to have a long commute, I'd get ~46 mpg in my Prius vs. ~23 mpg tops in my Z. To go 300 miles, based on average prices for my city at http://fuelgaugereport.com/ of $3.981 for regular and $4.181 for premium, was just a tad under $26 for the Prius. My Z would cost $54.53!

Most people here would be griping like crazy when gas passes $5/gal, but driving the Z instead of the Prius is like raising gas prices from $3.981 to $8.36/gal, which most Americans would consider insane.

Perhaps if Americans thought of things that way and could easily compute this via a web page, app, spreadsheet, etc., they be more inclined to pick more efficient vehicles.

fuzzy1, dorunron and F8L like this.
  6. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok let me shut everyone up now. That 5-1000$ most of u save in gas is negated by the fact u paid 3-5k more a hybrid vehicle.

I don't have a lead foot, I accelerate slowly and I do 60mph vs the 70mpg I use to do. I also pull my foot off the gas under 40 to engage elec engine only and my monitor says 99.9mpg. Assuming I have a lead foot because I have two very fast imports is ignorant. I drive fast when need be. I don't fly around like an 18 year old kid w a Honda and a fart pipe. I don't even go into boost unless I need to pass someone or shut someone up and hurt their ego. I barely street race cause most cars want 4-5 car head start even v8s with turbos of superchargers plus its dangerous. I do drag race at an nhra strip. If I did drive like that I would avg 16-18mpg especially with larger fuel injectors and hi pressure fuel pump plus twice the amount of boost. I lose 25% fuel economy with e85 because ethanol is 25% less dense than gas so it requires more to satisfy an engine. Hence why nobody runs e85 unless they want to maximize hp. Ethanol burns cold like alcohol and also gives octane ratings similar to 112-114oct which allows for more boost and less chance of detonation.

Yes I lost 4-5mpg going with a rim which weighs 6 lbs more , heavier/wider tire w more rolling resistance. However my Prius looks better than any stock 2nd gen and sad enuf to say 3rd gens as well. I get compliments all the time saying my Prius actually looks nice. Not ugly like a stock one.

As far as saving the environment, that's nice but I am not gonna spend 30k on a loaded Prius to save the planet or to screw oil companies. I am pretty sure the impact on my wallet and the quality that I could receive buying a gas engine outweighs the tree hugger and screw the big corporations approach :)

On a closing note, I bought my Prius for one reason. To save $ on gas. After owning it for a few days it has grown on me and I appreciate it in other ways. For example all the controls on the steering wheel. Dual glove compartments. Tons of room in center console and cubby holes. Unlock features. Jbl factory sound sys is amazing.

Things I hate about it:

When u touch door it only unlocks drivers door
    When u then off fuel display it comes back on after you touch the screen for other stuff
    Reverse beep is so loud and annoying
    Rear camera only works when In reverse
    Bluetooth sound is one tiny speaker vs all of em
    Bluetooth talking is a go but streaming audio a2dp technology is not on the 2008

7. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Price paid 10,700
    98k miles
    On accident on car fax
    2008 Prius
    Very satisfied with the vehicle. I would recommend to people who drive. 25k miles a year or more. I suggest buying used under 15k.

I find it funny he called the wrx a bad car. I won't even waste my time talking it up to much. I am a huge fan of mitsu. I almost pulled the trigger on a evo or sti. I bought a wrx cause it makes 265hp in 2009+ evo and sti aren't any faster in the quarter mile. They pack 300-305hp but they are heavier and have short 1st gear.stock wrx will do 13.3-13.5 and with a stage 1 upgrade 600$ hp matches evo and sti. Then it's faster cause evo/sti are 150-250lbs heavier. The evo and sti don't come with a stronger engine or larger turbo for the 35k price. The wrx destroys any car in its price range in all aspects. I rocketed my wrx into the 11s running 11.82 on a stock engine stock trans stock turbo. That is what a new vette z06 does in the quarter mile. They are 505hp and 3200lbs. I needed ethanol to do it. On pump gas I would run with a reg vette 440hp. Low 12s. Squeezed 400+ hp with just bolt ons. These cars aren't even built for drag they are rally inspired cars but with the right recipe and driving skills they can be great drag cars and they take corners like a champ being awd and great weight distribution. Before u insult Subaru understand that they have a large part in Toyota visa versa. Ever seen the fr-s? Notice that the new subarus resemble a Toyota and the new toyotas resemble subaru?

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Subaru too, acquired before the Prius existed anywhere. At today's local gas price, it has already burned $13,000 more fuel than the Prius will for the same miles.

While that Suby has some expensive repairs looming (center viscous coupler, head gasket), it otherwise should have plenty more life left. If I keep it as long as my previous car, its extra fuel cost will expand to $17-18k compared to the Prius.

9. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Head gasket issues on are on 02-07 models. Never heard of either of those issues but I has an 09 and 11wrx. I made over 400hp on stock engine before lifting head studs. 23psi did that lol. Problem is most people don't leave the wrx stock when u mod em the reliability factor is gone. I purposely stayed away from early 2000s 2.5l due to timing belt issues and head gaskets when shopping for a car for the wife. She now drives a 2002 legacy outback 3.0 h6. Timing chain! 141k miles and doesn't burn a drop of oil many subies like toyotas hit 200k miles easy when taken care off. Lets do a lil math here.

Say u drive 15k a year. That's about 1166$ gas getting 45mpg w Prius

With wrx u spend 2600$ so u save 1500$ year. The Prius being on avg 5000 more than a nice gas engine you need to drive it over 3 years before u even start saving $ lol. If u drove a Camry on 87oct it would take 5 years or more. Now how long has everyone owned their Prius for? Most people trade in their car after 2-3 years cause they are bored. Some even sooner making the Prius a nice car but total waste of money esp buying new unless u drive a crap load of miles like me. Oh ya and u mentioned a head gasket repair that costs 500$ if u know a mechanic and 1500$ if u don't? How much is a small battery for the Prius? How much is a hybrid battery? How much does Toyota charge to work on a hybrid? I know people that do engine swaps for 500$ :)

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rhetoric, through and through.

Those who trade car every 2 to 3 years do it to keep high values of their cars. And most of those who do that are the one's who are buying late models to new. Their mindset is resale values, not that they are bored.

When you look at the folks here on this board who post regularly you will find that they have owned their Prius for a long time. Generally the only reason why they get a newer one is if the car went out of the hybrid warranty or an accident which caused the Prius to be totaled.

All cars have expensive parts. And all cars have expensive technicians who charge to work on them. Yeah, any shade tree guy can change and engine for $500, but will everything work properly.

Getting back to the beginning of this string, you complained about loss of MPG. But then you discount it because the look of your car is more important. Sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Finally for someone who claims they have done a lot of research, I find it hard to believe that you don't know how to disable the back up beeps that annoy you so much. It is a very easy task and is well documented online. Furthermore, the default on the MFD can be easily changed with one touch of the MFD. Also it is clearly documented in the owner's manual that the doors on the Gen II can be modified concerning the touching of the handle to unlock one or all doors. There are actually three options that are user controlled.

I still say that all of your actions have brought your problems on yourself. If you would have left the stock tires and wheels on your Prius alone the Prius would be giving you at least 3 to 4 MPG better than where you are now.

Bottom line is this. It really does not matter how a car looks. What matters is if it gets you from point a to point b. When you start obsessing in how it looks, you usually end up spending a whole lot of money for nothing which sometimes can create more problems further down the line.

I drive a 09 Prius that looks very similar to the logo I post. It is 100% stock including the 12 volt battery. It has more than enough power for this old man. And I smile every time I fill the tank. I bought it used rather than new, and when it comes time to replace it if I live that long I will get another used Prius or a Leaf. I am not concerned about the cost of the traction battery. There are many sources out there for that type of thing. Besides that, if I worried about that then I should also worry about the transaxle, inverter and all the other expensive items that on the Prius. Like I said earlier, all cars have something expensive on them.

Last but not least, I generally drive a car for ten years. I buy them used with 35 to 45K on the clock, and usually don't get rid of them until the clock shows at least 150K or more.

uart, xpcman and ewxlt66 like this.
  11. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Seems you're a wise old man too.

12. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From page 32 in the owner's manual:
    CHANGING THE DOORS TO BE UNLOCKED
    Each time you push the lock button together with the panic button on the
    smart key for about 5 seconds with the hybrid system off, the setting for door
    unlocking will change as follows:
    1. Driver’s door unlocking mode: If you perform smart unlocking operation on
    the driver’s door, it will unlock. Performing unlocking operation on the
    front passenger’s door or back door will unlock all the doors. When the
    system switches to this mode, one beep sounds inside the vehicle and two
    beeps sound three times.
    2. All doors unlocking mode: Performing smart unlocking operation on either
    front door or back door will unlock all the doors. When the system switches
    to this mode, one beep sounds inside the vehicle and two beeps sound twice.
    3. Single door unlocking mode: The driver’s door or back door on which
    you perform smart unlocking operation will unlock. However, performing unlocking
    operation on the front passenger’s door will unlock all the doors.
    When the system switches to this mode, one beep sounds inside the vehicle
    and two beeps sound once.

DISABLING THE REVERSE BEEPING
    1. Power on the car to IG-ON or READY. IG-ON will do for this purpose.
    2. Using the Trip/ODO button, set the Trip/ODO display to ODO (not Trip A or Trip B )
    3. Power off the car.
    4. Now power the car to READY (brake on). This is required so that step 6 works correctly.
    5. Within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 10 seconds or more (there is no indication... just count)
    6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the 10 seconds, shift the "gear" selector to R, then press the P button. Now release the Trip/ODO button.
    7. If the last step was successful, "b on" or "b off" should be displayed in the location where the Trip Odometer or Odometer is normally displayed (front dash area). "b on" is beep on (default), and "b off" is beep off.
    8. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode.
    9. Now power the car off to exit the toggle mode.
    10. Power the car on to READY and confirm the reverse beep status by shifting to R. The beep should not be audible if "b off" was selected, and should be audible if "b on" was selected

Give these a try and see if they work.

dorunron likes this.
  13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guarantee the steps above will work on the Gen II Prius if they are followed in the steps shown above.

You can even turn off the seatbelt beeps if that bothers you by doing the following.

And to disable each of the front seatbelt warning beeps, follow these instructions:

1. Be sure someone is sitting in the seat which seatbelt beep you wish to disable.

2. Without your foot on the brake, turn on your Prius and make sure you are in ODO mode (not Trip A or B). Power off the Prius

3. With your foot on the brake, turn on the Prius. As soon as the ‘Ready’ light is lit, press and hold the ODO button for at least 10 seconds.

4. Keeping the ODO button pressed, insert the seatbelt that you wish to disable the beep for. At this point, ‘b- on’ should appear on your dashboard display.

5. You can now let go of the ODO button, and each press of the ODO button toggles between ‘b- on’ and ‘b-off’. To disable the reverse beep, simply set it to ‘b-off’, the power off the Prius.

14. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now we are getting somewhere I can get rid of the beep yay! And unlock all doors! Anyways to get the reverse can on anytime I want without screwing w the wiring? I know people have done it.

Yes as stated before I am willing to eat 4-5mpg to run these sexy rims which make the Prius look twice as good. It's about 300$ a year but I am running them 6 months out of the year so 150$ year to have your Prius look much better half the year is work it to me. For someone who drives like u it would be like 50-100$ year :) as for a quote about tires being my issue I have seen gains of 1-5% in fuel economy which in reality is squat too after u spend extra $ on that specific tire vs a cheap tire. In reality tires don't last me long at all. This is similar to the point I made earlier about the Prius not really being good for your wallet. You said your Prius makes you happy? So you like spending 5k more on a hybrid vehicle to save 5k in gas and just be in denial about it? I would rather buy a nice Camry and have more room and have a reg mechanic work on it. I understand mechanics can be expensive but no shortcuts can be taken when it comes to a hybrid. You can literally die from working on them hence the wires marked in bright colors under the hood :) Dont be offended I'm just being realistic about this whole topic and owning a Prius especially a new one!

15. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The voltage thing becomes a non issue as soon as you undo a certain connector in the back.
    About the only typical maintenance repair issue that's going to be more involved than a conventional car will be brake bleeding. For that you need TechStream or an ebay knock-off to cycle the valving. Many of us prefer to do our own repair work. It makes us happy.

As far as the car's concerned of course my Prius makes me happy. It's small on the outside, big on the inside and gets twice the mileage of just about any other car that would work for us. Mine has a solar panel that circulates outside air into the car when it's parked in the sun. Traffic jams and long waits at railroad crossings don't bother me anymore. My engine's off but the HVAC keeps me comfortable.

Fortunately I don't have to care about what other people think about my wheels and I'm not compelled to "shut someone up and hurt their ego".

If you want to get the most out of this forum also consider working on your opening lines :)

dorunron likes this.
  16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you would rather buy a nice Camry, then why do have the Prius???

Your statements contradict one another.

Like I said earlier, you can't have your cake and eat it too!

As far as the Prius being more expensive than a traditional car, I disagree. The little bit you pay extra is more than repaid by the savings in fuel alone.

A Prius driven 12000 miles per year for three years will pay for the difference in cost just by fuel savings alone. Any thing after that is money in the bank. Not only that, the maintenance of the Prius is considerably cheaper than many cars out there.

Now if you throw away the LRR tires and run something NON OEM such as you have done, you are actually defeating the purpose of why you bought the Prius to begin with. 3 MPG does not sound like much, but over time every penny adds up. Furthermore, you have to add to the mix the money you spent to make the changes that are in fact costing you more money every time you push the Power button.

You might as well drive the Subie and be happy. That way you won't have a reason to be complaining about the poor MPG your Prius is delivering which is due to the changes you made.

17. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not complaining anymore at all. I expected to lose a few mpg when I had a nail in my tire plus slightly low tire pressure I was only getting 42ish mpg. Getting 45ish now. I save 5-6000$ year driving the Prius as a daily cause it takes 87oct vs 93oct plus over twice the mpg. I never said it was a bad car. I love it but if I drove 10k miles a year I wouldn't have bought one. I would drive a larger more fun vehicle. That's me tho. I was just painting a picture for all the Prius owners here. Truth hurts. Can u tell me how driving 12,000 miles a year makes up for the additional 5k u spend on a Prius? Maybe 3k if u buy used...again I'm not attacking u or the Prius Toyota makes a damn good vehicle.

18. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    50,000 miles 45mpg 87oct 3888$ year in fuel on a prius

50,000 miles 21mpg on 93oct is 8928$ on a 2011 wrx

50,000 miles at 30mpg on 87mpg is 5833$ year on a Camry or similar car

Pros are
    more room
    more power
    Cheaper parts
    Cheaper labor
    Style
    Safety

I got lucky and found a hybrid used dealer near me he had 13 Prius cars on his lot. I bought one for 2-3k under book. My car has over 100k now and I worry about the battery but I am confident in Toyota quality so my goal is 300k
    Miles then sell it for 5k haha

19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do the math, I did it 12 years ago when the Prius first appeared. The threshold was $3.00 per gallon for the 3 year payoff @ 12K a year. Truth in numbers. Now if you drive 50K @ year, the payback is even faster. Now if you buy used, the payback is faster still.

I drive 10 to 12 K a year now. I used to drive 15 to 18 K a year commuting back and forth to work. I hesitated for a long time before the Prius came into our household. Looking back, I now know without a doubt that the Prius is worth the difference in the purchase price providing that you keep the car for a long time.

It is foolish to change cars every couple of years. It is wise to get every penny out of your car you can. That includes NOT wasting money on vain things such as fancy wheels and tires to make it look better. What looks good to you might look hideous to another person. It is all in the eye of the beholder. Remember that whatever you spend for that look is money that is essence thrown away. Because it does not matter how a car looks, what matters is whether it will get you from point a to point b. Being economical about it is a plus. Lowering the economy for the sake of looks in a minus.

What do you want? To save money? If so, stop doing things that lower the MPG of your Prius. Try putting your effort into getting the MOST MPG you can for your money and be happy with that. In the end, it does not matter what other's think about your car or say about it. The only thing that really matters is that you arrive safely. If you can get there by saving a buck or two, that is the icing on the cake.

20. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You just proved my point. There is a $6000 difference between the Prius and the WRX. I rest my case.