1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Huge Suspension Damage from High Tire Pressure?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sal43, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Photos are attached below.
    I'm not saying all this suspension damage was caused by high tire pressure, but if just one of these items could have been prevented from normal tire pressure, then it wipes away many many years of gas saving from high tire pressure. This is for my other "ghetto proof car" (a 2004 Chevy Impala 3.4 liter V6) I use when I have to park somewhere in a bad neighborhood and don't want my Prius 4 stolen. GM recommends 33 psi for all 4 tires. I usually have had the tire pressures anywhere from 38 front/33 rear to 44 front/39 rear. In the last year or so it's been 44 front/39 rear almost exclusively.
    I usually put in air during sunlight hours from 10 am to 7 PM after driving to a Wawa so these might not be true cold tire pressures. I've hit some huge potholes when it's unavoidable because of not so good low beams, being surrounded by cars and nowhere to go to avoid the pothole, etc. I had both front wheel hub bearing and both front sway bar links replaced in July 2019. Just this month they said that one sway bar link was completely missing. I had both front outer tierod ends and 1 front sway bar link replaced this month. This was on top of a tuneup, all brake rotors and pads, new front tires, inspection, emissions, and tax so it really added up.
    I was running the Impala at 33 psi all around after getting everything fixed but I got horrible fuel economy of 18.9 mpg. I usually average 21 mpg with 70% Suburban, 10% city, and 20% highway driving. The highest I've ever gotten was 32.5 mpg with 80% highway 20% suburban driving on 1 tank.
    I increased my tire pressure back to 40 front 35 rear because of bad fuel economy at 3 PM after driving about 8 miles to a Wawa so it's not a true cold.tire pressure. I'm running my Prius at 46 front 41 rear but I'm thinking of going down 5 or 6 psi now.
    What's your experience with suspension damage?

I'm starting to wonder if I should just run factory tire pressures in all my cars including the Prius now.

Attached Files:

#1 Sal43, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. prev93

prev93 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have learned from cycling and driving a car that high tire pressures do not necessarily result in better mileage or lower rolling resistance. Use the numbers recommended by the car manufacturer and enjoy the ride.

3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to detract from your story but if you “lost” a tie rod and it was recently replaced i Would tend to believe they didn’t install it correctly or it was a bad rod.

I myself have hit potholes big enough to bottom an entire tire and never lost anything but I did bend a kingpin this way.

I tend to be of the mindset that large impact road obstacles + speed equals one of two scenarios (choose one)

1. Blown tire or bent rim (low pressure)

2. Damage to suspension (high pressure)

I do not view 40ish PSI as high pressure, my guess is regardless of your tire pressure you would not have avoided damage and personally I rather bend my suspension a little rather than blow a front tire on the highway but that’s just me.

4. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I lost a sway bar link, not a tie rod end.
    It's the thing with the 4 blue bushings in the photos I posted. I do think it's their fault but there's no way they're going to pay for it. I think they probably forgot to put locktight on or didn't torque the nut enough.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did i miss the mileage?

Grit and scona like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Higher pressures have got to transmit more shock, accelerate wear-and-tear on the suspension. How much is endlessly debatable, but I'm in the "I don't want to find out the hard way" camp.

I'm also a real nervous Nellie over those #@$&! speed bumps, take them at dead slow, thank you very much. And/or avoid parking lots with them, shop elsewhere when possible.

Dimitrij, Grit and davecook89t like this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I first bought my Gen 1 in 2008, it was seven years old with about 125,000 miles, and was silent as a church as I drove it home from Merrillville.

Then I discovered PriusChat, and got the 44 psi bug for a few weeks, and eventually backed down to 38/36 or so to keep my fillings in, but all the interior squeaks and rattles that sprang up during those few weeks, I was never again without for the eight years I had the car.

Grit likes this.
  8. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know which car you're asking for, but the Prius currently has 61,500 miles and the Impala has just over 130k miles and had about 129,400 miles when I got all the work done on it.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm an obnoxious proponent of just running the manufacturer recommended PSI.
    But having said that?
    Who know's what caused all that suspension damage?
    Certainly higher PSI being tougher on your suspension IS one of the reasons I would recommend just going with the manufacturers recommendation. BUT...I can't look at your pictures and offer the conclusion that it WAS the reason you manifested that damage.

I think it was Colonel Mustard in the Conservatory with a portable air compressor!

#9 The Electric Me, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Grit, Ed Beaty and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like long term potholes did the damage. I run all 44s year long on flat no bump roads and tires are quiet. At any average psi, potholes sooner than later will crap any suspension related components up.

RMB and Attila Fekete like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a couple of threads started up recently, regarding the travails of "Front No. 1 Lower Suspension Arm Sub-Assembly RH/LH" (aka "lower control arm") replacement, due to rubber bushing going bad.

Someone ended up torching access holes in the "Front Cross Member Sub-Assembly" (a name that should and does strike fear) to get a purchase on a captured nut therin, to further the cause of extraction of aforementioned "Front No. 1 Lower Suspension Arm Sub-Assembly RH/LH".

I'll take a few 10ths of a mpg drop over that grief any day.

upload_2019-11-23_16-34-47.png

And once the deed is done, the tightening of the two main bolts of the Front No. 1 Lower Suspension Arm Sub-Assembly RH/LH must be done delicately...

upload_2019-11-23_16-38-47.png

With the car lowered back to the ground, and the front end bounced a few times, to settle things. How you torque the bolts with the car down, who knows: on ramps, using an oil change pit??

And then there the aligment. And first step of that is Zero Point Calibration procedure (just that title makes me break into a sweat), and when you get into alignment, there's a possibility you'll be needing alternate bolts (with narrower shanks) for these:

upload_2019-11-23_16-43-25.png

There's various sizes...

Reality being, a lot of these procedures are so arduous/involved, I'd suspect they don't get done. The instructions are behind the paywall at toyota tech info, which doesn't help.

upload_2019-11-23_16-53-40.png

So cowboy mechanics get new parts in there, the car feels funny, noisy, and the bushing on the parts have accelerated wear, and you're back where you started.

#11 Mendel Leisk, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Tim Jones likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would you run the prius at 46/41?

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Suspension or tire tread suicide.

Dimitrij likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that much suspension wear unexpected at 130k?

15. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I run 42 front 38 back..... 42.3 average mpg
    247,000 miles on the clunker

16. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No way! Run the rears 46 psi also, be different. Run those potholes over like a boss, you own them.

17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    One of the drawbacks of following too close.

18. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    46 psi is the max rating for those tires. Since the Prius is front heavy, I have a 5 psi difference.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but the door sticker is a two pound difference. do you think there is an benefit to 5, or is it a ratio?

20. Sal43

Sal43 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Missing Sway Bar Link was less than 4 months old, so yes for that component at least.