1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Huge threat to rear lid "wing"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rrolff, Oct 8, 2009.

1. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK - not so huge, but it bit me twice, and when I was getting my cargo net "service", a nice elderly couple had their rear hatch "wing" duct taped to the car...

So, maybe we are the only ones... Of all my cars, this hatch opens very wide. We have a very large garage - but I personally have been bit twice by one of the hangy down thingies that run the track closing and opening our garage...

In my garage, it hits - maybe 1/4/ to 1/8 inch (I won't be testing it again) - but quite enough to make my day not pleasant...

You may be running groceries into the house, or playing under the back hood - keep in mind - it opens far more than many - if the garage opens/closes - look out...

OBTW - on further conversation, she had her lid open while backing out - which is why her wing was torn off... But I explained - likely had it been up, and she closed/opened the garage, a similar (but not so catastrophic) event may have occurred...

Just another tidbit to knosh on...

2. pkscout

pkscout Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The rear hatch definitely extends higher on the 2010 that my old 2008. With the 2008 I could open it with the garage door open and have easily eight inches to a foot of clearance. With the 2010 I can still open it, but the clearance is only a couple of inches. That's close enough that I won't close the garage door with the hatch open (which I used to do with no worries with the 2008).

3. lamontcranston

lamontcranston Umbra Tenet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll admit, it barely clears my garage door. Not a lot of wiggle room at all. But I've had SUV's that didn't clear. (Yes I admit I was not always as enlightened as I am now.)