1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hum at 30mph after tire hit tie rod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jeffersondarcy, Mar 1, 2023.

Tags:
  1. jeffersondarcy

jeffersondarcy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Long story short I put the passenger side tie rod end on the driver's side. I made a sharp turn and heard it hit my wheel. I was careful getting it home and changed it to the correct one. It didn't look like it damaged it much.

A couple days later I have a loud hum at 30mph and above that get's louder on the highway. The driver side wheel bearing didn't feel good to me and I have done wheel bearings before so I changed it but still have noise from the driver's side.

I swapped tires to be sure that it hadn't thrown anything off balance and the noise stays on the front passenger side. I put it up on stands and confirmed it's coming from there.

Next best bet the CV axle? I'd rather not throw money at it so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well there's only a few things that rotate round and round up there at speed and it looks like you dealt with one of the main ones.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    CVs click, kick and buck. Bearings hum howl and growl.

Don't assume that the bearing failure is on the recent incident wheel- probably just coincidental timing.

For a 2008 you've had plenty of time to wear out any/all, and they are serious ventriloquists. Best positive diagnosis is through a tool known as "Chassis Ears."

4. jeffersondarcy

jeffersondarcy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I already have another bearing for the right side so I might just change it.

I am at 230000 miles on it so there are a lot of things it could be. I'll look into the chassis ear though since I plan on keeping this car for a while longer.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The car deserves bearings and all four corners whenever you can get around to it I usually try and do at least two at a time It's pretty quick to do and pretty painless If you have everything lined up ready to go we should go fairly quickly You want to be using air or electric heavy gun to undo the things you need to do quickly and take off things and assemblies like the whole front hub with the lower wheel ball joint etc and just be replacing all of that and put the new right back in if you have it and it needs it do the struts at the same time and get it over for an alignment directly after you spot it in by eye.