1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hum? Rattle? Grinding?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Soquel B Verver, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Soquel B Verver

Soquel B Verver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2016 prius makes a weird grinding/humming noise. It seems like it mostly happens when I accelerate from a stop, with higher RPMs (though I feel like I have heard it other times as well). It sounds like something scraping a hollow metal item?! Or like a fog horn?!

I intentionally gas and release twice for the recording's sake.

I imagine my issue has been addressed before. I've read through many threads but can't decide if this sound is what a person calls "rattling." Or is this sound a "grinding" like some posts I have read. Perhaps a "humming"?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is anodd one. how many miles on her?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Though we usually think of a rattle as more of a pitchless, clattery noise, this is still what I would think of as a rattle, at least at first.

To my ear it suggests that there is something loose, a heat shield perhaps, or that sort of a thing, and it has a resonance right at that frequency and resonates every time your engine RPM passes through that narrow interval.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If the car was moving while you took the video, the sound might be brake pads rubbing on the rotors.

I got the sense that the Go Pedal was just bumped twice while the car was stationary in Park

Not really giving enough info both in the post or the video description, unless you get lucky and someone else noticed the exact same issue.

5. Soquel B Verver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    64, 615 miles on it.
    Sorry, the car is moving, at probably around 15mph. I pushed the gas twice, not gently, but also not pedal to the medal. A did I quick but steady acceleration, for the entire duration of the humming, then released then pushed again for duration of the humming. It ONLY MAKES THE SOUND IN THE BEGINNING OF ACCELERATING.
    If I were to keep accelerating, the sound ends up stopping. It seems like the sound starts off really strong on first few accelerations after starting car... and then it gets less and less each time I need to accelerate.

Let me say that in other words:

After stopping and accelerating multiple times (RPMs have gone up and down as I drive through town), the humming eventually stops all together, as if it's "used to it" now... But say, on that same drive, after accelerating multiple times and hearing no sound because car is used to it.... I then get on freeway. I get going at a steady 70mph for a few miles (not needing to raise RPMs for awhile now but also not having come to a complete stop)... Well, if I then have to break.... when I go to accelerate again, it will make the noise, as if it needs to "get used to it" again.

I feel like I don't make sense. Basically, it seems like the sound happens when RPMs suddenly go up (accelerating from a stop). If RPMs are shooting up multiple times because it's stop-and-go-stop-and-go, it's like the car "gets used to it" and gradually stops making that sound... BUT, the car will need to "get used to it" again, if on the same drive, it has been awhile since RPMs shot up.

To me it sounds like something loose also. Just the feeling I get. I have a catalytic converter shield installed. The CCM Cat Security brand. Originally, I thought maybe it had come a little loose and was vibrating against the frame, or something along those lines. That's what it sounds like! But when I jacked car and checked shield, it seemed fine/snug.

6. Soquel B Verver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I appreciate everyone's help.