1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hum (rear end)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jimi1976, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 is humming like bad.....I think it's the rear. the faster you go, the louder it is. Put new tires on - same noise.

I've lost almost 10 MPG.

Dealer checked bearings - said they're fine. Tech used stethoscope. He did hear the noise during test drive, but couldn't locate the source, and I couldn't sit at the dealer any longer without going mad.

anyway - anybody have a clue? I'm thinking about doing the rear bearings anyway....

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The brake pads could be dragging in the rear. After driving around, carefully feel the rear rotors on both sides of the car to see if they are hot from the friction of dragging brake pads.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get it properly diagnosed. If you can't sit around the Dealership all day (or where ever), rent a car.

4. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Autonation Toyota in Centennial, CO looked at the car - heard the noise, found no issue.
    This weekend - I grabbed a new hub, and popped the wheel off (with a good friend, who is a much better mechanic than I am).
    anyway, the second we started pulling the brake caliper off.....we realized it was a dragging brake pad (inner pad, driver side rear).
    The lower slide pin was locked up....and needed some torch time to break loose (otherwise, I was staring down a new caliper assembly....which aint cheap!). Got the pin broke free....the rubber boot at the end was gone, and the pin was pretty rusty. All of metro denver (including 2 toyota dealers) do not stock caliper pins. Go figure.....dealer couldn't figure this out?

anyway - soaked the pin in PB, sandpaper to it and the pin cylinder......and the pin is sliding nicely now.
    I will order a new pin (and boot....since the heat did a little damage to it). So......all that heat and noise was in fact from a dragging brake (as xliderider suggested).

also worth noting......the little expansion springs (to retract pads off rotor) were non-existent. they're installed now, though!

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good find. Might be a good idea to clean and lube the rest of the pins (F&B)...if you haven't already.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check that your rear wheels are turning freely now. Make really sure the caliper piston is oriented so that the pin on back of pad lands in between the spokes on piston face. Further: after re-assembly, depress the brake pedal repeatedly, make really sure the piston is bedded against that pad. Even take it it for a short drive, lots of easy brake applications.

Only then should you apply the parking brake: if you just assemble the rear brake, and then apply the parking brake, there's a decent chance the piston will rotate and ride one of the piston spokes up onto the pad pin, skewing everything, and creating a lot of drag.