1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Human influence on tropospheric temperature

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jul 20, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Because two well known skeptics, doctors Christy and Spencer, live in Huntsville who specialize in tropospheric data analysis, this caught my eye and hopefully @wxman :

Human influence on the seasonal cycle of tropospheric temperature | Science

Anthropogenic climate change has become clearly observable through many metrics. These include an increase in global annual temperatures, growing heat content of the oceans, and sea level rise owing to the melting of the polar ice sheets and glaciers. Now, Santer et al. report that a human-caused signal in the seasonal cycle of tropospheric temperature can also be measured (see the Perspective by Randel). They use satellite data and the anthropogenic “fingerprint” predicted by climate models to show the extent of the effects and discuss how these changes have been caused.
    . . . <bunch of good stuff> . . .

CONCLUSION
    Our results suggest that attribution studies with the seasonal cycle of tropospheric temperature provide powerful and novel evidence for a statistically significant human effect on Earth’s climate. We hope that this finding will stimulate more detailed exploration of the seasonal signals caused by anthropogenic forcing.

I'll ask if I can get a copy of the paper. If not, the paywall is not that high. Regardless, the abstract (be careful!!!) makes an interesting assertion that the winter temperatures are remaining constant but the summer temperatures have increased, the "Tac".

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Santer's email address is right there. Be among emails asking for pdf. He will get guff up to and including death threats maybe. Balance that out. No need to say "I love you" - just curious about the study.

I know very few top dogs in climate change research, but they always get email rants after publishing things that get noticed. Something like a 3-month half life for that irritation to subside.

As ever, not intending to dissuade anyone from paying publishers.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got a nice reply. I'll read the paper and supporting data later this evening.

The team used a climate model (actually several) to define a base signal of tropospheric temperature changes at different altitudes corresponding to the microwave sounder. The model(s) include volcanic and solar irradiance. Then using the RSS, NOAA, and UAH dataset calculated the offset from the model(s) giving the noise, man-made noise. So rather than looking at global temperature changes, they looked at seasonal and the temperature differences between high and low troposphere (TMT).

Somethings were obvious such as the seasonal variability between winter and summer is higher in the land dominated Northern hemisphere versus sea dominated Southern hemisphere. But the greater summer temperatures appear to be due to the land drying. This provides higher temperature extremes in the summer, not so much in the winter.

Unexpected, the microwave data shows significant differences with UAH 6.0 and the previous version 5.6 that agrees with RSS and NOAA. This was not a primary goal of this paper but fell out of the signal-to-noise ratio analysis.

This is from my first fast reading. I need to go back and re-read the paper to dive into some of the references.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If you ask for pdfs instead of paying, as much as I do, you could accumulate data on reply speeds. Record here is between 3 and 4 minutes (data trails are not more precise).

I did praise winner in a manner of speaking. Asked "So, you just sit there waiting?"

Science has its moments of levity.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Actually there is a detail here I'll ask Santer about. After dust settles a bit. My understanding is that when any US govt employee publishes, article is supposed to be in public domain (not paywalled). More experience with Forest Service and Geological Survey folks, but Lawrence Livermore is also Federal.