1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Humidity sensor wire tap for dashcam?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevek1979, Mar 29, 2018.

1. stevek1979

stevek1979 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hello, I'm looking to install a dash cam on my 2017 Prius Prime. Instead of running a long cable thru the A pillar, I am looking to get power from the humidity sensor wiring. Anybody done this? If so please share your insight.
    1) How to open the back of the sensor cover.
    2) Are the wiring in 5Vdc or 12Vdc?

Thanks!
    PS. This is the humidity sensor in case you are wondering where it is.

Attached Files:

2. followingalex

followingalex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    zero chances (or near zero) that anyone's going to do that and post a tutorial here..
    some serious electrical mod required, and 100% voided warranty.
    1/10 points for neat idea though.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sensors don't draw a lot of power, and some use the power draw amount to measure whatever it is they are monitoring. SO tapping into its power supply can throw off the signal that the computer is seeing. For the humidity sensor, that could mean the cabin is now a swamp or a desert.

4. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just get some fuse taps, much easier to deal with. The hard thing to deal with is removing the 3M VHB adhesive -_- That stuff, it will take the dang windshield with it.

Anyway, I didn't have pics but what I did was tap into the interior lights for the constant 12V supply and the radio for the ignition on supply. There is a plastic cover (assuming it is the same in all Gen 4 Prii) held in with a plastic nut, the plastic cover will come off where you can run your wires and get a ground connection.

You can pull down the weather stipping on the driver's side door easily, just be gentle, route your wires up and BEHIND the side curtain airbags, don't be too forceful around those. then just tuck the wires up along lip in the headliner to the rearview window.

If I get time I'll try to make a quick video on installing a Thinkware X550D (dual camera) when I go pick up my Prime Plus... Not sure if I'll put it in while I'm up there getting it or wait until I get home...not all that impressed with the dash cam app I came across for the iPhone.

Hopefully that gives you an idea, much better than tapping into things that might cause trouble and the nice thing is, everything is completely reversible in case your dash cam dies, you decide to trade in your car, etc.

5. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Why not take the power from the wire for the lights in the upper panel?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. AmazingPriusPrime

AmazingPriusPrime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am looking to install Dashcam as well. Please share a video once you have it installed.