1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hummer Drivers Get More Tickets. A Lot More.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by joe1347, Jan 30, 2009.

1. toxicity

toxicity A/C Hog

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Holy cow! Don't crash into a school bus! For more reasons than just the kids now!

2. slickQUICKprius

slickQUICKprius I'm awesome!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To be fair, if this was a prius, the driver would have been decapitated. Either way a crash of this force, putting that much of the vehicle under the bus, would most certainly mean a loss of life for those in the vehicle.

I could find you pictures of motorcycles in the back of semis, corvettes under trailers, and civics wrapped around light poles. Hell, i can show you an enzo that wrapped itself around a tree. Or an STi in a lake?

Also, I doubt all hummer drivers are "compensating" for something. I've always felt the first people to bring that up are the ones lacking confidence in their own department.

I drive a prius, and I'm horribly small down there. Should I be driving a hummer? By your logic yes, but it's the motion of the ocean, not the size of the boat in the harbor, and the prius gets better gas milage. I mean geez, I should drive an 18 wheeler around if we're talking about compensating.

I just feel that talking down upon others puts you as low if not lower than them. Have some class

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, I drive a Prius to compensate for my large equipment. ;)

Tom

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    True enough, but I've noticed - around here anyway - that most of the H2 drivers are ignorant hillbilly's who drive their H2's like complete dickheads. Of course, karma eventually catches up to them, and the H2 either gets repo'd or rolled in the median of the Trans Canada

Kinda funny how H2 drivers think they really are driving a Humvee, not just a glorified Tahoe with a lift kit. A Humvee would absolutely destroy an H2

Um ..... damn. Sorry, really

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with Slick, we need to form a group, Prius Drivers with Small Equipment.
    Some ladies know the advantages, I'll not go into it here.
    A person driving a car may have been able to steer around the bus. I didn't see all that mass helping much.

6. slickQUICKprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll admit I'm small. It's not a big deal, not like things are gonna change, and I'll make the best of what I've got.

I guess I'm just realistic - I never have to worry about anything getting in the way of the steering wheel if you know what I mean.

7. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would expect school buses to be very well reinforced in the rear - especially since they drive on the right side of the freeway, surrounded by semi-trucks. For that much damage to occur to the H2, that H2 must have been MOVING!!! (at the same time, a school bus probably doesn't move forward very much when someone runs into it). What surprises me more than anything though is that of all vehicles, a tall vehicle would have hit the bus. On a street near where I work, there is no bike lane or shoulder, and when the public transportation buses stop, they have to stop in the street. It's not a big deal ... except, for when someone is in a hurry weaving through traffic, and swerves to the right lane, out from behind an SUV in front of them, and SMACKS into the back of one of the buses at about 45mph. It seems like at least once per month, I observe the aftermath of one of these accidents while driving by. It's clearly a repeat problem and something needs to be done about it, but the city doesn't have any room to expand the street for the buses. Perhaps lower the speed limit and having more traffic enforcement on that street would help.

I thought trucks and buses were required to have a bar/bumper down low in the back to prevent cars from going underneath them? I thought it was federally mandated?

Examples:
    http://www.10gmobileadvertising.co.za/uploads/6/6/0/0/660087/982942.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/18/23068687_c981c8c150.jpg
    And for trucks that don't have a low bumper, check this out... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JHkjeC7UwUE/R7oFVYMoj-I/AAAAAAAAARQ/DIGEBS4NCKE/s400/TruckStayBack.jpg

8. slickQUICKprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point. I believe they are. I was just looking at the picture and comparing the ride height of a hummer to that of our prius. At that speed and angle, I don't think much of an additional bar or bumper support would matter much, you're still going under.

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You took the bait.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A long time ago, my dad told me "it's always a poor craftsman who blames his tool"

That is SO true

11. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How does she feel about your reference to hers being a harbor? :eek:

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Any safe port in a storm

13. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess the question is "what" are they compensating for?
    -Size?
    -Lack of financial sense?
    -Low self esteem?
    -Were they bullied as a kid?
    -Bad attitude? "I just don't care!"

There is a builder in Colorado that uses his hummer for a billboard for his building business.

What exactly is he advertising???
    -"Least Green McMansion"
    -"Why bother with energy efficency"
    -"Built-in obsolence"
    -"Who cares about your money?"
    -"Hey, Look at Me"
    -"Bigger$$ is Better$$"
    -"Who Cares About the Future?"

P.S. My Prius is "compensating" for the fact that some parts of my life are not as "green" as they could be. Just trying to do my part.

14. slickQUICKprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, lets look at the Mercedes G500...
    [​IMG]
    To me it's in the same class as the H2. Rediculous, Giant, and in my opinion much uglier. Fuel Economy ain't much better. Are these people in the same class as the Hummer? Or does the mercedes emblem give them a pass?

I think a portion of them want something they never thought they'd have, or view it as a symbol of status. I think thats what NBA, NFL players all think when they get their Hummers, that they in with an elite group. Look at rap stars boasting with their Hummers.

And I don't know about you, but when it comes to the NBA and NFL.... I don't think they compensating in the area that the previous cartoons were getting at. They have huge barges.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, at least the Gelandewagen is based on a military platform, which is still in use. I know a family who purchased one new in 2007, despite the stratospheric price tag and loads of genuine wood and leather trim, it's pretty obvious there is a military vehicle underneath

I'd much rather drive an M class. Actually, for sheer practical use, the R is hard to beat. It's a solid, well built, very comfy cruiser with loads of rear cargo room

I've had the misfortune to drive military Humvees: noisy gear whine, noisy gutless engine, cramped interior, etc etc. But they do get the job done. Perhaps the last year of civilian sales was the best version: it had a Duramax diesel and an Allison automatic. The military version would be a lot more capable if they replaced the ancient 6.2 diesel V8 with a duramax

Of course, the military is now replacing the Humvee with a much larger vehicle based on a medium truck design. I suppose with the need for 7.62 and IED protection, the extra weight is too much for the Humvee

I've never understood the H2. It's a lifted and tweaked Tahoe. To pretend it's an "offroad" machine is a joke. I've had dumbasses here tell me "it's a Hummer" to which I reply "No it's not, I've driven them in the Army." Some are popular as armored VIP transport

If you really do need armored VIP transport, the last thing you want is a machine that draws attention to itself, like an H2. A 2500 series Suburban with Level IV or V armor blends right in.

You really have to know your armored vehicles to notice that Suburban is heavily armored and reinforced. The 2500 handles the extra weight without too much strain, though more are being supercharged for extra performance: the whole point of an armored vehicle is to floor it and get the hell out of the danger zone