1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hummingbirds

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by CarolinaJim, May 27, 2008.

1. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I put mine in the garden. It is still relatively cool. I guess I could put a little parasol over the feeder.:)

I even opened up the compost pile to expose all the little fruitflies. My eyes aren't what they used to be. There could be a flock of hummers out there but I have not yet witnessed a hummer insect encounter. But they are supposed to eat about 500 bugs a day.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The best spot for the feeder would be in shade. If the feeder is in direct sunlight, the maintenance requirements are much greater.

If the feeder is within sight of the garden, the hummers will see it.
    Hummers also like to perch on dead branches to gain a better view of their realm. So, if you can combine shady feeder and a nearby tree with some dead branches, the hummers will say around longer.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't stand it anymore.

I'm getting the feeders out, making nectar and putting it out.

It's early for me. I usually don't do this until school is out.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have had hummers and oriels for over a week.

Tom

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread is making me want to go buy a couple and start getting some hummers in my backyard too! Err, you know what I mean. :D

6. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I sat in my backyard yesterday with a glass of merlot. Every 5 minutes or so a hummer would come to the feeder.

The darned things are so stealthy. The come in low level and then do a pop to the feeder. When they leave they drop down on the deck again.

I bet the hummers in SD have a countdown clock going waiting for the feeders!

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not only that, I'll bet they have a map that they pass around as to where the best flowers and feeders are.

I know the seagulls do. They used to swoop down at the schools right after the lunch bell was over to pick over the wrappers and dropped food before the custodians could get to it. BOTH lunches. I'm sure they knew the schedules of every school in a radius of several miles and had a schedule to hit everyone of them after every single lunch period.

Hummingbirds are not stupid. I'll bet they build their nests in yards that have feeders that are maintained regularly and have plants that allow them to build their nests up high and safe. And no cats.

I had one build a nest in my bougainvilla right next to the garage door. I'd get evil looks every morning when I left for work.

My parents had a hummer nest in a creeping charlie right outside the sewing room window. She kept the feeder filled and would be scolded if it ran dry. We used to watch them through the curtains....about a foot away. Great vantage point.

Yep, I really do need to get that feeder out and filled.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Seagulls! Rats with wings. I'll take a Tern any day over a seagull.

Tom

9. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hummingbirds have really good memories... I was trying to find the article I read that mentioned that, but I can't find it. Apparently they remember where all the good feeding spots are. They also remember if a feeder has gone dry and don't come back to it, though they don't give up at the first empty try. If I recall correctly, they'll try for a week or two before they abandon it. I'll look for the article again.

10. CarolinaJim

CarolinaJim New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  11. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are we allowed to talk positive things about hummers in PC? :p