1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hurricane Harvey flood question (pics uploaded)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Navigon, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Navigon

Navigon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My poor car had some water up to the debris line in the photo (maybe 2 inches up from the bottom of the rear door speaker) enter with some standing water in the rear compartment. I already shop-vacced all the water out from the rear compartment and it looks good but I was wondering if you all knew if any electrical or wiring components that ran near the flooring area. I checked the Hybrid/Traction battery area and its dry. The car still starts and drives as well. Doesn't looks like there is any engine damage. I filed a claim with my insurance as well but am trying to get an idea of the damage. Is it just upholstery mostly? Or am I screwed with electrical/wiring components damaged?

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You really need to get the car inspected by an expert. Todd from Tampa Hybrids is a very well respected independent shop and should be able to give a better opinion. He is active here from time to time and several members here have purchased cars from him.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  3. Navigon

Navigon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, thank you but I just moved from Tampa to Houston, so I'm not in that area anymore :( To think, no hurricanes the last 8 years I was in Florida!

bisco likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wondered about that. Please update your profile here.
    I guess a dealer estimate may be an option unless you find a good independent hybrid expert in Houston that is not still under water. :eek:

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it! :(
    if it's running fine, it may be fine. before you accept an insurance claim, consider the ramifications of trying to sell it with flooding on the record.

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Agreed.

Toyota bulletin T-SB-0229-12, “Flood Damaged Vehicle Inspection & Handling,” November 21, 2012, provides a guide to safing, inspection, and repair. The bulletin lists areas to be inspected, depending on the level of water intrusion, whether it was fresh water or salt water, and whether the vehicle was driven in flood waters or just parked. Be sure to read the cautions on page 3.

kenmce, Johnny Cakes, wjtracy and 5 others like this.
  7. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    The most important is : fresh or salt water?

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes reminds me of Hurricane Sandy in NJ, which I presume is the timing of the 2012 service document.
    At that time, the new Prii flooded with salt water on the shipping docks had some smoldering issues with the HV battery.

To be honest I'd be careful buying a used 2012 Prii unless I thought I knew it was not from that period/region.

PS- I am not quite sure how Gen3 design is but Gen2 has a vent port from the HV Batt over the passenger rear tire, so you want to make sure no water came in under the false floor by the 12v and HV batts in the spare tire well./

#8 wjtracy, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You need to check on something....since you already officially opened a flood damage claim, that may follow the car through carfax much like a wreck and repair. So even if the title doesn't specifically get listed as a flood car, if flood repair work or even inspections shows up ANYWHERE that carfax might pick it up, you will have a hard time selling it. For instance if Toyota looks at it as a flood inspection that will show up and scare people from even looking at it. I think if it's possible at all I would push the insurance to total it and you go get another one. I think being a hybrid you could probably get away with it....especially if it's salt water.

Also, once you open a insurance claim it's now on your claim history and going to follow you around and make your rates higher. Even if you say it's fine and insurance pays ZERO it won't matter, you now have a claim that will follow you for several years. So you may as well make the most of it because it won't matter if they pay $0 or $10k it will affect your premiums the same.

#9 StephenJ, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  10. Navigon

Navigon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it's "fresh" water as its rainwater from Hurricane/Tropical Storm Harvey. I will try to get the insurance to pay as much as possible but after shop vaccing out the water in the back seat floor, you can't even tell there is any water/damage. Just a small amount of residual wetness near the edges. Car also starts and drives fine with all electronics that I can check appear in working order.

The car was parked towards the end of my driveway and I think water just crept up and entered through the bottom of the rear doors sill near the rocker panel. The front passenger compartment is dry save a tiny amount of water. The hatch "false compartment" where the 12v and traction battery is also dry.

I was more concerned about wiring or electrical components that may have run on the floors but going thought the "Flood Damanged Vehicle Inspection and Damage" PDF (Thank you for that!) It doesn't appear there is anything there. I typically keep the cars for life or will give it to my parents (they still have a 97 Avalon) so i'm not too worried about re-sale, just want to ensure the car is restored or fixed the correct way.

All in all, i'm pretty fortunate only my Prius as been affected thus far considering the crazy flooding that has occured in the Houston area. Thank you all for the advice above!

11. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That sounds good! Well you may want to call your agent and try to convince them you weren't intending to open a claim you were just talking to them about it. The point would be to try to get them to delete it as opposed to closing it. If they just close it you will have it on your claim history and it affect your rates. If they can't just delete it like you never called then try to make it worthwhile since it will affect your future rates.

But glad to hear the car is okay!

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The high voltage cabling runs under the car. It's well protected, but just so you know. Most of the electronics is up front, other than the traction battery and its computer.

13. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car should be fine, as others have mentioned. I had the same thing happen two years ago in a thunderstorm (parked on a street with a clogged drain); I didn't bother involving insurance at all since nothing critical was submerged. I did--and you may want to think about doing this--remove the carpet entirely and get it absolutely dry; the jute under the carpet can hold a lot of water even when the carpet above it seems dry, and you don't want to deal with mold issues.

[​IMG]

14. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Many times, people I know have gotten into fender benders. After they called the insurance agency and realized that after the deductible and the future increase in rates....they decide to repair the vehicle without filing a claim and receiving insurance money.

AFAIK, these accidents were not reported in carfax, assuming the insurance companies didn't pay out. At least, that is how I thought it worked.

15. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Fresh water should be OK

16. Navigon

Navigon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WOW! I don't think I have the tools to take apart the rear floor, I might just take my car to the dealer when the storm clears. You're right when you mentioned the floors can hold a lot of water... my floors are damp/wet again and it's not worth the hassle of trying to shop-vac with the rain still going on. One more day (or so they say)

17. thePimpsons

thePimpsons New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope it's all ok! Definitely ensure it's fully dried out before firing her up again. What's the flooding like? Has it begun to subside now? Posting from the UK...

18. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    if it were mine and its paid off Id rip the carpets and seats out and replace them ASAP
    put a fan in the back for a few days to dry it out and spray the inside with rubber under coating to prevent rust
    new carpet, used seats ..
    if it was salt water let the insurance company total it.

19. Navigon

Navigon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just an update, the insurance adjuster totaled it. Said the water was "brackish" and the interior smelled moldy around despite my shop vaccing and anti-fungal solutions. RIP Prius. Was one of the best cars I've owned but I think it's time for an SUV for me. Flooding has completely subsided around here in my part (SE Houston where NASA is)

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    suspect a lot of suv's in south texas future, not that there's any shortage currently.