1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hurricane Ike & Prius Power

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by drewtx, Sep 18, 2008.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No but the 200 V could be connected to a high power, 3 kW, UPS systems that uses 200 V battery bus. IMHO, the right answer is to design a proper co-generation system so our Prius can be used to run the house.

Bob Wilson

2. drewtx

drewtx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to everybody for all the additional info.
    We are still without power at home - but running happily on Prius Power.
    My original 100w inverter died, so I replaced it with a 350w model from Radio Shack. This may not be the 'best' inverter available, but seems to work OK; I just needed a replacement quickly. It came with cables/clips to hook it directly to the battery terminals. 350w has been ample for running TV, a dvd player, cooling fans, a Wii and some CFL lights. I have not tried running everything at the same time - more because we just don't need all that stuff running all the time.
    MUCH quieter - and significantly cooler ;-) - than running a nasty generator 24/7.

I CERTAINLY consider an inverter to be a VITAL piece of my emergency kit now

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Drew,

Best wishes to you. Glad to hear the 300W inverter works out. Thank God for Prius Power, no doubt.

Does anybody have any recommendation on a good inverter? I've been looking at some 1000-1500W inverters from Cobra and Duracell. Not sure which one is better. Any pointers much appreciated.

4. hoop

hoop On The South Texas Coast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Funny thing, The gas company shut off all natural gas to galveston island due to the many leaks. wouldnt that tick you off..Pay all that money for a generator that runs on natural gas:) and then they shut it off.:eek::(

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I think all the modified sine wave inverters 100-1500 watts, $100-$150 are going to be very similar regardless of the name on the label. I used a Whistler and it was OK. A little too sensitive on the high temperature lockout maybe?

If you install in the vehicle, consider it a high-vibration environment. I opened the case on the Whistler and found several loose bits of solder. Get those out.

The pure sine wave inverters are going to be much more expensive. $300 minimum $600 typical for this power output range. Would like to assume those would be built to a higher standard, but I'd open the case for a look anyway.