1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hurricane Sandy - I love my Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FirstFlight, Nov 2, 2012.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just take the cover off? I was thinking more of a permanent pigtail that you can use without a temp hook up every time you need it. I would think the whole case would have to come out to engineer that but I have never done that so leave this discussion to you. Thank you.

2. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The biggest obstruction is the back seat but you can do it without taking it out. Looking from the back to the front of the car, the left side of the battery is where the HV connections are. There is a mounting bracket there (I think it has a total of 4 bolts) and once you remove that, you have access to a small metal cover. Just below that are the terminals that you need to connect to. You don't even have to take the main cover off. I'd have to think there is a post somewhere that has pictures or describes the process.

I have two spare HV batteries in my home and if you need a visual I can take some pics for you.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Firstflight. Being able to force the battery fan and use it to cool the batteries while the prius is stopped is something I've been thinking about too. When I looked closely at the physical layout of the ducting however, I came to the conclusion that this would merely circulate the same warm air around the back of the hatch area (near where the 12V battery lives) and not exhaust it to the exterior.

In my prius there seems to be a gap in the ducting just before it leads to the exterior vent. This means that the moving air from the duct is not able to force the little seal-flaps at the exterior vent point to open. It instead appears to rely on moving air (from the cars speed) to open those flaps and actually suck the air out! Unfortunately I think this layout will really limit the effectiveness of the battery fan while the Prius is stationary.

If however you are fortunate enough to be operating in a location where security is of no concern, then I think that opening he hatch and removing the under-tray (covering the spare tire) would really give good battery cooling (for both batteries).

4. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All I can tell you is that it works. Considering your theory, that means Toyota didn't take into account that the Prius would sit in traffic and therefore there would be no way to vent the heat from the battery to the atmosphere.

You also have to consider that this compartment is somewhat sealed and it forces the air out of the vents. Those flaps take very little effort to push but yes I did notice a gap there. My only guess is that Toyota put that gap there in the event the flaps gets stuck and if that happens it still allows the air to be easily pushed through the battery but then it vents into the area where the 12v battery sits. Since the compartment is somewhat sealed, my guess is that the air would find the path of least resistance and go out of the hole at the bottom of the spare tire. That's just a guess though.

As far as opening the hatch, I did that by putting a piece of 2x4 so there was a few inches where fresh air could be pulled in.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes those flaps take very little effort to push, but I've watched them and they definitely don't open in response to the airflow from the fan. The opening in the duct just before it reaches those exit vents seems to make any positive pressure there essentially zero.

My guess is that they instead rely on a venturi effect (ie negative outside pressure) to open those vent flaps and to provide the actual outflow. My belief is that the small gap in the vent there is to allow warm air from around the 12V battery to also exit via this same effect. That is, both the warm duct air from HV battery plus any warm air from the 12V battery can both mix at that point near the exit, and both be "venturied" to outside. I've studied how this works and I really believe that the designers must have decided that the batteries did not need so much cooling when the Prius is stopped.

Of course the air has to go somewhere, so it will pool in the back there and eventually rise and find it's way back to the vent input at the rear seat. At this point, especially if the windows are partially open, then it will be mixing with cooler air. So there is definitely still a net cooling even when it is stopped, as long as the cabin temperature is maintained at something reasonable.

6. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Can you give me a link to them? I haven't found any, thanks.

7. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the info. The first one is interesting, all of them are more expensive then what we were looking at, your unit, and mine cost about $100. The solar type, which I am aware of ( I have 24 on my roof) are really a different animal, and are not 12 volt.

9. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My unit costs 95 cents per watt. The one on E-bay costs 82 cents per watt. The one on E-bay is cheaper.

10. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is it possible to hook up with an uninterrupted power supply (UPS), so that the car engine won't run very long time? using the UPS as an energy buffer?

11. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a guess here.....

Initially it will make the Prius run less but once the UPS batteries are depleted, you no longer have any UPS batteries to supply power, so you're back to square one.

I didn't notice the car running much. It ran about 6 minutes every hour.

12. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Details at the links below on how to get several thousand watts from the traction battery. I ran mine for 27 hours after Sandy hit, plus two half-day tests in the past. My Prius will run all of my 120 volt circuits and could run my 240 volt stuff with load management (I don't since I have a 12 kw generator). If you keep your eyes open on Ebay you can get the UPS and transformer for about $250 each. One tank of gas will last about 2 1/2 days of constant use - 2 or 3 times that if you go with 12 or 8 hours of run time per day (alternating on-off every couple of hours to keep the fridge cold). Any questions you can email me at [email protected]

Doug's PriUPS
    http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?12962-Using-a-Prius-as-a-generator

zenMachine likes this.
  13. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Man, I would love to do this but I’m really cautious about messing with my Prius. Is there any way to make this safer?

14. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sit tight. I have an easy installation procedure that I'm working on with pictures and step-by-step instructions that demonstrate how you can get a total of 3kW for a reasonable price. It will finalized and published next weekend.

You're close enough that I could do it for you. Just a thought for the future.

CaliforniaPrius likes this.
  15. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll be interested in reading. If your cost is below ~$500 its a winner.

Fore, alternatively you can tap 1000 watts from the 12 volt system easily and fairly cheaply, although if you want pure sine output you'll spend more than I did to get 4000 watts from the traction battery.

16. CaliforniaPrius

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    yes, quite easy, buy a generator, done!

17. CaliforniaPrius

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just wondering how much damage it is to idle a prius for 2 days.

18. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    None. And it doesn't idle for two days straight. When I used mine during the hurricane, it ran for about 6 minutes every hour.

19. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you get my E-mail? It was from a Gmail address.

20. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can go all the way in to the terminals and back out in about 45 minutes. Pull the tray out of the trunk, pull the safety cutoff, take out a half-dozen bolts. Full pics and notes in the 2nd link I posted above.