1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Husky 6ft man LF more comfortable armrests

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Andy M, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Andy M

Andy M New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I drive about 30,000 miles/yr for work. My 2014 Prius V Two pays for itself handsomely, but my back aches by the third hour of driving.

I’ve played with lumbar, rake and height a lot. I think the issue is the center console and door armrests are too low for me. Even with the seat in its lowest position, armrests are still too low for me to comfortably “rest my arms”.

I considered retrofitting some sort of armrest to the seat that would sit above the center console, but the door’s armrest would still be too low.

This is important enough I’ve considered buying a different car, but other than this issue, the Prius works so well for my needs.

Has anyone else found a creative solution?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'll be amazed at how much more legroom and arm rest options you'll have by simply removing the center console and replacing it with a pillow so the front seats are more like bench seats. Prius are terribly designed for larger size people, but once that center console is gone your right knee will have more room, which will loosen up your hips, which makes height of arm rests far less of an issue. It will also free you up to experiment with different size cushions, or just a rolled up jacket for your arms.

3. Andy M

Andy M New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So you literally remove the console, and put a literal pillow in its place? That’s crazy! Do you have a picture?

I was thinking of a dense foam and perhaps Velcro.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used to do auto upholstery work back in the 90's and I've always wanted to do something nice, but never got past the pillow stage... I have a picture somewhere... I'll see if I can dig it up...

5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I saw in here somewhere someone doing a homemade extension on the driver side arm rest. I just don't remember who. Perhaps if you search armrest in the search engine, you may get lucky and find it. Rest assure, you are not alone in your situation. Good luck!

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had a job that required a lot of computer work, was getting more and more proficient, and my body started protesting, wrists, forearms, shoulders, back. I started looking for ways to shield myself, eventually realized that was a mugs game, and instead looked for ways to change my work: introduce variety, work smarter, delegate, whatever. And just back off, avoid overtime, rushes.

rampante550 and Grit like this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, sometimes rather than pushing the limits of ergonomic improvement, you have to think outside the box... As someone who does hard labor in trees and gardens and am over a 1/2 century old, I can assure you that exercise and stretching/yoga is my super power! Jogging less than a mile first thing in the morning and not eating too much is essential too.

Grit likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah exercise was part of my solution too. (y)

PriusCamper and Grit like this.
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I work in the IT field and run minimum of 50 miles a month, plenty of sitting and lifting at work. Any type of cardio and or weight training goes a long way.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our dumbbell sets are getting dusty... :oops:

My wife finds all these Tai Chi videos, but we have been goofing off for a while.

Grit likes this.
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At you have a set, I don’t.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm getting more and more dusty stuff.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use it or lose it!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow! 50 miles is awesome! If I run around the block the longest way it's 1.6 miles so I guess I could catch up to you, but despite a morning run every day for more than a year, just running up a hill and back or end of street and back is all I've been up for. Never thought I'd be up for that most of my life either. But starting your day with cardio is way stronger then coffee. But I still drink coffee too! :)

15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was probably me. Here's a picture of the early version. Since then, I've made some adjustments and covered the felt with cloth to make it a little more comfortable. Also, I'm holding it on with stout rubber bands now that keep it pretty stable. I should replace them with some wide black elastic before the rubber bands break. That armrest pops off easily allowing you to wrap something around it and snap it back in place.
    IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0161.JPG

Here it is with the cloth. Not super pretty, but I'm not much of an upholsterer. One of the rubber bands has broken already, but I'm going to replace them with the elastic shown in the next picture. It'll look better and should hold up better.
    IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

16. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We got our cheap, stripped manual 2008 Hyundai Accent, without radio, A/C, CC or anything else fancy. About a week later, I discovered the armrest attached to the side of the driver's seat. Rotated it down & its the perfect position. Been waiting for years for the bolt attachment to break or work lose. After 12 years, it still works perfectly & as new. Yeah, get yourself a cheap, stripped 2008 Accent & put the armrest to use. I'd say the armrest is worth more than the car, but our 158,000 mile Accent is set to go past 200,000 miles & keep going. Just replaced our manual clutch & the new one makes the Accent shift & drive better than new. Even my long term mechanic commented how sweet the new clutch is. Between the new clutch & old armrest, my drives are elegant & restful.

#16 litesong, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    ASRDogman likes this.
  17. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you dust them with a heavy cloth..... that'll keep you in shape.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try this guy.

19. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What am I missing when I look there? I don't see anything there that will bring the driver's door armrest into the same time zone as the driver's arm.

20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Product promotion.