1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hutzpah: blame the cure for the disease

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Mar 4, 2024.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I concur. Synergy Drive -
    ShminergyDrive

Screenshot_2024-03-11-12-05-06-34_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg Screenshot_2024-03-11-12-09-45-69_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

#21 hill, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm actually a fan of PHEVs, and once we rationalize the supply chain for lithium ferrophosphate cells I believe that dual (or tri) powered vehicles will be a groovy thing.

The current-gen Primes even have a nearly useful battery capacity, and if they were not so horribly over-priced, slightly under-sized, and had the ability to tow something larger than an E-bike they would be a more useful vehicle for non-city dwellers.

It's only $3 a gallon in horribly run US states that do not know how to manage their money and thus have to tax the poorer people who are expected to wait for the more wealthy to trade-in their tax-payer subsidized compliance vehicles..

I live on free soil, and thus paid $2.689 this AM at a Neighborhood Market.
    It's still over-priced, but then current spot prices have to stay where they are so that 2/3 of the planet can flip off the West and help fund Putin's retirement.

If you want to stop Sov - er - Russian aggression, drive the spot price for crude back down below $40 a barrel.
    Of course, this works against domestic production (and self-reliance) but then, so does our government. ;)

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So yesterday, got a 2018, Tesla, dual motor, loaner:
    • 102 mi to drive home
    • 303 Wh/mi
    • 30.9 kWh @$0.12/kWh
    • $3.71 EV cost to drive 102 mi home
    GasBuddy reports local gas at $2.84 - $3.10 per gallon.

Bob Wilson

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would think MOST everyone in AL would want an EV at those electric rates. It’s also a more stable rate, no more gas buddy looking every morning. Even without solar.

#24 Mr.Vanvandenburg, Mar 12, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same story if your're driving maybe 200 kms a month. If that...

6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah......solar.
    The national average for electricity is $0.19 per kWh.
    My price just went to $0.05 off-peak.
    Since I'm in a Co-Op there's also a daily access fee.
    We have a 2-hr upper tier of something like $.3 but I work a split shift that allows me to dodge those rates.

With current inflation one expects that kW hours are going to be more expensive, but probably not fast enough for the sun worshipers.

Even with the generous government solar kickbacks (that the poor do not have an easy on-ramp for) this places the ROI for solar well beyond my projected 90++ year life expectancy.
    The locals finally woke-shamed our Co-Op into easing some of the barriers for grid-tied systems and buying excess amps, but even at the retail rate it's not going to offset even a fairly small DIY install very rapidly.....and my finely honed Spidey senses inform me that I will be selling amperes at bargain basement prices.
    My intentions are to get solar anyway because that's me being me, but I have to wait for my next projected roof replacement in 2-3 years.
    FORTUNATELY, I married up (this wasn't very hard, actually) and the solar install has a very high WAI factor - so domestic funding approval will not be an issue.
    I will probably have a LFP battery spit can and I already have to have a manual interlock for the mains for the backup generator - so I will only have to install the panels themselves and the charge controllers - and.....I live on free soil, so I will not have to fear the Electric Guild.

The good news is that after all of the chumps pay for the non-recurring engineering fees for their BEV and PHEVs, I will be able to charge a future dual-fuel vehicle more cheaply.

The only bad news isn't ROI but rather RFI - Especially in the lower and curiously named HF bands.
    This 'pollution' can be carefully controlled by ME and MY install but in a neighborhood one often has to deal with many types of noise starting in the very low Hertz range and going all the way up to nanometers in wavelength.

FORTUNATELY there are few incentives to pop for a 5-figure solar project for most people hereabouts (especially with an economy that is as healthy and agile as our leadership!!!!!!) and so far the only RF noise is that which is normally encountered in a small and fairly rural town.

#26 ETC(SS), Mar 12, 2024
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    30¢ ain't no upper tier ...
    try 10¢ normally until the 'grab-yer-ankles' rate hits. 30hrs/week (7-10am & 5-8pm) at $2.48 mon-fri. Looking at a 12kwWh usable battery backup. Fill it during 10¢ & draining it during the bend over rate. Won't take long to amortize usage during the bend over rate.

8. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NOT Nashville's only growing pains......unless you're talking about the Big Sky state rates.
    They only have about 32 people and a looooooot of poles to run the wires from.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Might be surprising how close the Columbia watershed (60 dams total ~20 on the Columbia river) is to us in the northwest. The 400+ megawatt Hungry Horse Dam is maybe 20 miles as the crow flies. Not too many power poles.
    ;)
    Yea - the Hungry Horse is less than 1/10 of the Grand Coulee on the same string - but even so ... they still need to suck power from us on occasion. Therein lies the mystery of our obscene peak rates.

#29 hill, Mar 12, 2024
  10. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew some techs that worked in Big Sky country back when telecommunications was important.
    (Fun Fact: Big Bell leases/leased space on power poles.)

All-day drives for ONE service call, to a customer who paid the same rates as city folk.
    AND adult weather to boot.

Yeah.
    I get it......

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That reminds me of one of my pet peeves. Broadband over power lines ... don't get me started

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh please get started

13. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Healthy and agile at the work of the job is what we want, not make up
    artistry. In that our leadership is exceptionally healthy and agile, as is the economy. Haven’t heard any complaints from those working with him, only those against him.

14. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ ?
    Wrong thread?

BPL scared the poop out of me some years back because it solved ALL of the last mile issues including distribution at the prem.
    HOWEVER (comma!)
    Starlink and glass.
    Our local electrical cooperative is into selling broadband, but they're not zany enough to try to distribute it over copper and steel reinforced aluminum.
    They use glass bored into the ground, and they hire US to help transport it.

Win win, for now.
    Starlink would seem to be superior to all of the terrestrial data distribution modes but it's not yet at scale.

If they continue to build out their infrastructure and if someone figures out a way to compete in that....um.....space, then the idea of charging for data distribution might be as antiquated someday as paying for a long distance telephone call.

I'll be a retired buggywhip technician by then.
    For now (unfortunately) the dead cat that is unionized workers has another bounce or two left.

Our contract is up for renewal in the fall.....:eek:

15. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just cut the subsidies given to the oil industries. In 2022 alone and just for Canada, 38 billions were given to them by Canadian governments. Give tax credit to merchandise hauling compagnies, farmers, etc and see the size of private vehicles drop dramatically. Invest the saved money in public transportation and biking infrastructures. Vehicle size has to stop getting bigger just for the sake of getting bigger.

bisco and Trollbait like this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It was the right thread, but it would have been clearer to trim the quote some, seeing as the reply was just to part of the last graf.