1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery cell replace advice!!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by John bartz, Feb 20, 2022.

1. John bartz

John bartz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm brand new to hybrids and Prius and I got a gen 1 Prius that had been sitting for about a month and a half. Had a bad 02 sensor when I checked the code and needed a new 12v battery, but ran with a jump, drove good. so I grabbed it for $800. 300 miles later I got code 3006 (of course.) I've done a lot of research and watched YouTube videos. I got Dr Prius, and it looks like #6 is the bad cells. I also load tested, had the engine charge battery and put in neutral and turned on max AC (which works) headlights on bright, radio, and car stereo. Let it drain the battery then put back in park to charge. I have a video of it. At no point did it only run on the HV battery. If someone could take a look at the video I'd so appreciate it maybe you see something that a novice is totally missing, especially with the recharge.

2. John bartz

John bartz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Video didn't upload trying to reformat. Here's some picture of biggest changes I saw first image is what it sat at before load testing, second is with headlights on and max AC blasting in neutral. Last 3 are back in park recharging (those 3 pics are about 15-20 seconds apart) and the last is what it sat at after recharging for awhile

Attached Files:

#2 John bartz, Feb 20, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  3. drbojo

drbojo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am a Resident of Frankfurt, Germany. I down a Prius 2002, 600 tkm, mica-green.
    Two modules of the HV-bty are faulty.
    I bought 10 modules from four ebay sellers located in the USA. However, ebay does not ship these modules to Germany. So I am still stuck with a car that does not run.
    Replacement modules are not for sale in Germany.
    Any suggestions? Thank u.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A fellow compatriot recently tackled this job on his Gen 2. You might get some help and/or inspiration by reading up on his adventures in this thread:

Hybrid battery pack materials in Germany

I hope that helps.