1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery charging question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JC91006, Jun 21, 2014.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What's the method for discharging to 10%. Can that be reliably sensed from just the pack voltage? It seems like you would risk reverse charging the weakest cells.

2. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To reset cell memory I will have to go lower than 40%.
    I will probably take down 30% at a particular current, next 20% at a different current , next 10% at a different current , next 5% at a different current .
    If a weak cell falls out now is the time to know so it will get replaced.
    A 90% capacity reading on a 6 year old battery may not be realistic and I may have to lower it to 70%. Below that a new battery from Toyota would be nice at less than $2K.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi ccdisce. The thing that I'm trying to figure is how you will accurately detect the state of charge. Could you briefly describe what procedure/measurements you'll be using to determine when it's 10% or 20% etc.

4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's based on pack voltage, not SOC%. Yes, some cells will likely reverse polarity, but at the very low load levels being used the risk if cell damage is minimal. This has been done many, many times by the Honda crowd with very positive results. Here is our reference guide for the simple light bulb based dischargers we sell:
    Hybrid Automotive - Simple Discharger User Guide

5. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks jeff.
    I am into the 4th hr or the re-balance phase, ordered the discharger a few minutes ago.

jeff652 likes this.