1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery Dead on 2006 Prius HELP!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sherri167, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Sherri167

Sherri167 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have done nothing but brag on this car since purchasing it (used) 3 yrs ago. A couple of weeks ago I got the dreaded red triangle, ck engine, etc... We have a code reader and it read HV battery and cell 10 errors. I did research here and learned about the recall on the inverter. Had it trailered to Toyota, who replaced the inverter and said I need a new HV battery (and ECU of course) for a total of $4600.00. 113,000 miles on it so no warranty. I had it hauled back home.

I replaced the 12V battery pack after reading here, and prayed. Nope, still reads the same two error codes.

So here I am. I am still making payments on this car monthly, I am a nursing student and BROKE, school starts back in 5weeks, and I need a dependable vehicle.

I have read here since this happened (was just accepted and able to post this morning). From what I have learned it appears that changing the cells has not worked well. Refurbishing the battery is time consuming and has not been a great option. Although Re-Involt seems to be doing that and people seem to like them. A salvaged battery seems to be my best option. But I cannot find 1 darn person in the Fort Worth Texas area that works on Hybrids, and there isn't a lot I can do with a salvaged 80lb battery sitting on my front porch once delivered.

This experience has sure wiped the Prius owner smirk off my face, and I am eating a lot of crow these days.

Does anyone know of any places around Fort Worth Texas that is knowledgeable about these hybrid cars other than dealerships? If the local dealership had tried to help me in any way I might put more faith in them. Like suggesting exchanging the 12V, or cleaning up the HV battery, maybe even taking it to a recharging station if that is an option of curing it's ills. I really love this car and am very disappointed that things have gone so far south with it.

2. Sherri167

Sherri167 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, didn't realize I was in the Prius V section, but maybe someone may know of a good mechanic so I will keep my post here.

3. Sherri167

Sherri167 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have done nothing but brag on this car since purchasing it (used) 3 yrs ago. A couple of weeks ago I got the dreaded red triangle, ck engine, etc... I have a code reader and it read HV battery and cell 10 errors. I did research here and learned about the recall on the inverter. Had it trailered to Toyota, who replaced the inverter and said I need a new HV battery (and ECU of course) for a total of $4600.00. 113,000 miles on it so no warranty. I had it hauled back home.

Code: P0A80 and P3020

I replaced the 12V battery pack after reading here, and prayed. Nope, still reads the same two error codes.

The car runs (can be driving onto the trailer to be hauled), and now the fan by the back seat has begun making a noise.

So here I am. I am still making payments on this car monthly, I am a nursing student and BROKE, school starts back in 5weeks, and I need a dependable vehicle.

I have been reading since this happened (was just accepted here and able to post this morning). From what I have concluded it appears that changing the cells has not worked well. Refurbishing the battery is time consuming and has not been a great option. Although Re-Involt seems to be doing that and people seem to like them. A salvaged battery seems to be my best option. But I cannot find 1 darn person in the Fort Worth Texas area that works on Hybrids, and there isn't a lot I can do with a salvaged 80lb battery sitting on my front porch once delivered. ~I have read contradictory info today regarding the cell blocks and refurbishing, frankly it is confusing to me~

This experience has sure wiped the Prius owner smirk off my face, and I am eating a lot of crow these days.

Does anyone know of any places around Fort Worth Texas that is knowledgeable about these hybrid cars other than dealerships? If the local dealership had tried to help me in any way I might put more faith in them. Like suggesting exchanging the 12V, or cleaning up the HV battery, maybe even taking it to a recharging station if that is an option of curing it's ills. I really love this car and am very disappointed that things have gone so far south with it.

Thanks,
    Sherri

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re-Involt or a salvage are your best bet, but I can't help you with local mechanics.

Tom

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Believe the Re-Involt website gives a listing of local hybrid battery shops they work with.
    I know we have one reasonably close to here, when the time comes. Not sure about TX.
    Sorry to hear about it.

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Sorry Sherri but double posting is not allowed so your posts from both forums have been merged into this one in the Gen II maintenance forum.

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sherri,
    Sorry you are in this situation. I will try to help you the best I can and I'm sure (at least I hope) others will chime in as well.

Let's start w/ some basics:

1) Do you have access to the car now (or is it still at the dealer)?
    2) Is it driveable?
    3) If yes on 1 and 2, have you reset the codes to see if they come back right away?

I checked Re-Involt and they don't have an installer near you but, we/you can get this fixed one way or another (depending on your comfort level and network of friends).

4) Do you have any friends with mechanical/electrical knowledge that can help?

It sounds like to me you have one bad cell. If you want to try to replace a cell, try to send a pmail to jdenenberg and see if he has any balanced cells left to sell. If he doesn't, check ebay to see if anyone has balanced cells for sale for a gen II Prius.

Let me know what you think. Step 1 is, "don't freak out". Step 2 is "take a deep breath".

9. Sherri167

Sherri167 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cwerdna:
    Thanks, read that already, great info.

Paradox:
    No problem, thanks for fixing it.

usnavystgc:
    The car is in my driveway.
    The car runs.
    When we changed the 12V battery I believe it was reset??? Everything cleared for about 10 minutes then the red triangle, etc... came back on. We double checked to see if the codes changed, nope, same codes.
    I haven't reset it purposefully because the fan by the backseat has started making noise, I would think clearing the codes wouldn't fix that for me. Sure wish it would!!
    My husband wants to change the bad cell. I don't want him electrocuted, so I am not happy about that option.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...be sure to check threads by experts Sielerts and JDenenberg. It is apparently a very difficult task to repace a cell because you need equipment to balance all of the cells to the same state of charge. If you know what you are doing and have a week or two or three you could balance all the cells - 28 of them I think.

usnavystgc likes this.
  11. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you tried charging the pack after starting the car? I am not sure of the proper procedures, but it is sorta like this. Have your Prius in ready mode. Hold foot on brake and rev to around 1500 rpm-to full throttle. Apparently this will charge your pack without going out of the yard. Once the pack is charged take the grd. off the 12v to reset the PC and maybe the codes will not show again! Worth a try. H

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  13. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know there will be several dissenting posts after this but, I say replace the cell. There are numerous posts on how to do it here (search HV battery rebuild or HV battery repair). I know yota93 just replaced one cell (no balancing all the other cells) and has had good success. I personally believe the right way to do it is to rebalance all the cells. It is also my belief (but I'm no expert by any means) that you can just replace one cell (#10 in your case) and get by for about six months (or so, maybe more, maybe less).

All of the advice I give you is with extreme caution. You are right to be concerned about high voltage but, with proper precautions (electrical safety gloves, remove all wrings and watches, be careful, study up on electrical safety), it can be done safely.

Before doing anything, disconnect the 12V battery for about 5 minutes to reset the codes once more. Turn it back on and verify the codes do come right back. If so, you need to determine what course of action is right for you.

Here is some info to help you disassemble/get to the battery pack starting on page 18.
    http://www.eaa-phev.org/images/d/df/Priusdisman.pdf

And some more info
    Fears of replacing hybrid battery | PriusChat

joedirte and dave77 like this.
  14. Sherri167

Sherri167 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HaroldW, I'm gonna give it a try!

Thanks JimboPalmer, that is the route I prefer. I would also prefer finding a mechanic to remove and install it. Not having much luck with that one!!

Thank you usnavystgc, not my favorite option since "I" will be the one driving and left stranded if it fails in 6 mos. :( Its the route my husband wants to take though.

15. Sherri167

Sherri167 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks wjtracy, I have 4 weeks to solve this issue.

16. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  17. Sherri167

Sherri167 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks JimboPalmer, I have seen that advertisement. I just can't wrap my head around a kwik kar doing work like this. They are on every corner. My husband wont even let me get my oil changed at our local one. I will call them and double check.

I attempted HaroldW's advice. No luck there.

Research on Sielerts brought me to something he posted, "If you hear the fan running in the back seat, it is the hybrid battery. Otherwise, there's no way to tell without getting the codes read."
    YES I hear it.

usnavystgc likes this.
  18. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is not a complicated repair, just heavy lifting and putting everything back together just like you took it apart. If they follow the instruction I posted above they can't electrocute themselves. (famous last words) Actually replacing the individual cells is way more technical, dangerous, and error prone, and needs a good auto electric place. I wish I knew one.

19. Sherri167

Sherri167 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One question before I start spending money, I have read here about CLEANING the battery. I think it was talking about generation 1 batteries. Should I try this? It works all the time cleaning the connections on regular car batteries, is this the same? I mean, if the car is running and only has one cell coding, couldn't this be the issue?

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Gen1 modules are prone to leakage therefore cleaning is suggested. When I took my 2004 battery apart, the connections were still sound. If you replace the one bad module, make sure that all of the modules are charged to the same voltage before reassembling the battery. I also think that re-balancing all of the modules is a better repair, but it does take a while to get it done.

JeffD

usnavystgc likes this.