1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Diagnosis & Battery Supplier Options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tlc1896, Jun 27, 2015.

1. tlc1896

tlc1896 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday my 2004 Prius w 178K miles, dash lit up with the dreaded triangle, check engine, brake, and vsc lit. Also verified with my scanner the P0A80 code. And only 1 or 2 bars shows on the MFD display.

Spoke to Toyota who indicated the first step is to "diagnose" the problem, at a cost of 110.00 USD. What other mechanical failures could result in these symptoms? Car, so far runs ok. Their new battery quote was $2700, plus labor.This seems like a lot of money to invest in my 04 vehicle.

So I am seeking info from other members on the remanufactured/rebuilt HV battteries, and their experiences and reliability data with various US-based suppliers including Dorman Products (formerly RE-Involt) and others.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are plenty of threads here, with tons of experiences. good, bad an in between. anything less than a new battery is mostly a crapshoot. check your 12 volt health first, it's quick and easy. stop by an auto zone for a free reading of the trouble codes. all the best!(y)

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't need the dealer to diagnose the problem, you already have the code P0a80. The dealer will tell you the same thing after getting your $110.

If your car is running well and you feel you are not ready to trade up to a new vehicle, spending $2700 plus labor would be a good investment. But just so you know, Toyota has designed these cars to go around 200,000 miles, so it's really a crap shoot whether or not it'll last much longer with major issues. Reading the threads here, the Prius most likely will hold well beyond 200k miles.

4. AshokTexas

AshokTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is mixed bag of luck for me. My 2004 prius I put 330K miles, no engine or HV battery trouble until I wrecked it. 2008 prius with 150K miles seems to have a bad brake actuator & showing signs of battery dying.