1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV battery died. 2006 Prius, under 70k miles. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ANfry, May 30, 2016.

1. ANfry

ANfry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I got my car back from the dealership last week. Everything has been running fine until today... I am driving on the highway to work and here the beep, get the check hybrid system warning, check engine, red triangle, VSC, and pressure warning.
    I was on an exit ramp with no shoulder so I had to keep driving, but the car was running fine. No issues with acceleration and the display was showing the battery with half a charge. I got to work and turned the car off and on a few times. After the last re-start, the vsc and tire pressure warning lights went away, with the others remaining.
    Any ideas what could be going on here? I called the tech who did my battery and I am waiting to here back. I just shelled out a load of money on the new battery so I am not excited about another problem with this car.

Update:
    Just went back to my car and when I started it up all the warning lights were off. I drove it around the block and everything seems fine. Should I still bring it in? Any other suggestions?

#21 ANfry, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had a rash of other mechanics forgetting to fully tighten all connections to spec.
    As soon as I open the battery pack I see the loose connections.
    In some cases the loose connections damaged other components.

Usually the lights stay on though.

3. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely take it back in. They should check the stored fault codes to see what is/was going on, and should do so at no charge to you.

Peterhans likes this.
  4. ANfry

ANfry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A service rep called me back, not the tech. He said they have to open it back up and re-check the work, connections etc. Wont hear back until tomorrow..
    He mentioned one of the codes related to the Hybrid ECU, but that it usually is not an issue once the battery has been replaced.
    They will call me back tomorrow to see what they find and give me the codes.
    What should I expect if there is an issue with the ECU? Shouldn't this have been done when they changed the battery? Is there anything I should ask them tomorrow? Any other insight is appreciated.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your battery ECU has failed, ask if they can install a used one that you provide? They will run you around $75 on Ebay.

But I would first ask that they replace it......maybe that was what was wrong with the old battery?